It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

peak flows/asthma

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2002, 05:57 AM   #1
Tracey2

Tracey2 HB User
Question peak flows/asthma

Hi, just wondering what everyone's peak flows are?Mine is 400 is that good?Im also 6 1/2 months pregnant which dont help my asthma at all.Didnt have any problems with my asthma in well over a year but now just about a month ago my asthma started flaring up a bit.The ob/gyn took me off of advair and just wanted me on pulmicourt.Now she has me on predinsone because of a flare up.She says she would rather have me take that instead of starting up the advair again which i think is wrong.I think just as soon as i have the baby my asthma will get better.I hope!
Thanks
Tracey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2002, 10:44 AM   #2
wrin
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
I don't understand it either -- go check out information for the pregnant and nursing, often it has been said that asthma drugs are typically not that harmful during pregnancy and it should be weighed whether taking someone off the drugs will cause significant enough problems to hurt the baby. In the case that the drugs will hurt the baby more than the possibility of asthma attacks, yeah, they'll take you off regular drugs, but prednisone is some wicked stuff, maybe they've found it doesn't cross the placenta or something so it doesn't affect baby at all. I don't know.

At any rate, peak flows vary depending on age, height, and sex. Peak flow is really the peak EXPIRATORY flow, as peak inspiratory flow is also used in spirometric testing. PEF readings will climb up until a person's mid 20s and then will decline gradually after that. PEF readings tend to be higher in males than in females, higher in those taller than in those shorter. Weight does not seem to play a large part.

One cannot really make a blanket statement saying "such-and-such number is good" as children will have a lower reading than adults will, and numbers will vary from person to person. Just because 450 for me is healthy, 450 for someone like, say, my brother, who is male, more muscular and eight inches taller, would be less healthy yet.

I found it was very difficult to find peak flow prediction material on the internet. Personally, I can blow between 380 and 480 when mostly healthy (380 being on the end where I start having coughing fits and mild wheezing) and will do between 410 and 450 on a regular basis.

Old 11-04-2002, 03:25 PM   #3
Brwneyedgirl

Brwneyedgirl HB User
On my best days, I can do 250. I feel really bad now that I know everyone else's peak readings.

------------------
Brwneyedgirl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brwneyedgirl
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread