It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

ASTHMA/ANXIETY??????

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2002, 12:25 PM   #1
LAREDOGRL

LAREDOGRL HB User
Unhappy ASTHMA/ANXIETY??????

Anyone have these symptoms? I'm trying real hard to get past them, but it's so weird. I had two really bad astham attacks a month ago, real ones, had to go to ER. But since then I've had this weird tightness in my chest at least twice a day at different times. I ran to the doc twice and he says he doesn't hear any wheezing and my heart has had tons of tests. This is causing me much anxiety. It's a weird tightness in my chest that definitely mimicks asthma to a tee, but my peak flow meter says i am ok, but it's very hard to breathe so i use my rescue inhalor and it seems to die down. I am on aerobid for about two weeks now and trying to give it a chance, i want to stop it cause it might be doing it to me. please anyone that can help or that has similiar symptoms please let me know. i am at the end of my rope. it's so scary and makes me so anxious. i am focused on this 24/7 now and can't enjoy my life, i'm getting depressed also. if it's not the asthma and the bronchodilator helps it, then what's wrong. anxiety???? any support would be greatly appreciated.
jeanie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2002, 06:20 AM   #2
Super Sarah

Talking

Hi,

If your peak flow readings are normal, then this does sound like anxiety to me. May be you are getting anxious about the feeling in your chest and not being able to breathe. The anxiety about this will then make it harder to breath.

I would suggest that you try having some acupuncture treatment. Acupuncture is very good for helping with anxiety generally and calming you down and it has been shown to be helpful in people with asthma too. There are certain points that can be needled that help to open up the chest generally to aid breathing and also help you to breathe more deeply.

You may find that you are even able to reduce some of your medication following treatments. Also, Qi Gong type relaxation exercises in between treatments can also help, as these encourage deep breathing too.

Good luck.

Old 07-05-2002, 09:54 AM   #3
nicola76
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
You could be having panic attacks brought on by anxiety. My best friend gets panic attacks and when she does they sort of mimic an asthma attack (chest tightness, short of breath, etc.)

Take care.

Nic

Old 07-09-2002, 09:38 PM   #4
jazzlady60

jazzlady60 HB User
Hey Laredo,

I can relate to what you are feeling. I get that sometimes and find if I am more stressed, my asthma is worse. Even though you can breathe, if the aerobid makes it better that tells me that your bronchial tubes are constricting which to me means the beginning of asthma. The more you use the rescue inhaler the more dependent your body becomes on it. I was using mine every four hours for a while and then the dr. put me on an anti inflamatory like advair. Good Luck and try to relax.

Jazzlady60

Old 07-13-2002, 06:44 PM   #5
Blue4U2

Loredo.....
First, let me say, it will be alright. I know this feeling is scarey, but, remember you are breathing, even if it feels different than normal... or like you cannot.

An anxiety attack consists of more than breathing difficulty, it also includes other symtoms such as impending doom and heart palpitations, buzzing hands and lips..... and strong emotional response.... right then.... not as much after an episode. An episode of panick can last 10 minutes to 30 minutes.

An inhaler is not likely to calm anxiety symptoms, since most inhalers tend to cause additional anxiety and a rise in your heart rate. Could it be that your anxiety is a result of your inhaler? or is it because the inhaler doesn't relieve your symptoms?

If you are taking an inhaler, you may consider asking your doctor to place you on one that does not have this side effect, or, to prescribe something to calm you down like ativan or something. I you find you are having some intense panick attacks, you might ask to be refered to a psych to be evaluated.... because medical doctors should not be prescribing psychiatric meds. You will end up being their experiment.

Don't worry too much if you can help it. There is a lot to be anxious about these days, I know... but your breathing should not be one of them....

Old 07-15-2002, 01:21 PM   #6
wrin
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
Peak flow is not necessarily the most accurate reading for whether or not you are having an asthma attack... I've found that I can have some positively WICKED attacks without a drop in peak flow, and instead a drop in everything else (FEV1 mostly and sp02) ... if the inhalers help it could be an attack even though your peak flows haven't caught up.

Old 09-08-2002, 07:13 PM   #7
Tracey2

Tracey2 HB User
Hi, I had the same problems as you.Have your doctor put you on paxil.This is a antidepressent and it also controls anxity very well.This has helped me out alot.I havent had any problems with my asthma for well over a year and now that im pregnant it has got worse again at 6 months along.My ob/gyn doc told me to stop taking advair that i have been on and just stay on the pulmacourt.Why i dont know.which i think is stupied to take anyone off their meds.Now i had a flare up with my asthma last week and she put me on predinsone she said she would rather have me take that than start the advair again.I dont know what the normal range for peak flows are usually, but mine is 400 is that good or bad?I also still have chest pains sometimes right in the middle like the breast bone but my peak flows are still the same 400.I cant wait untill i have this baby so i can get back to feeling normal again.Because i know this is what is flaring me up.
If you have any questions about the paxil or just need someone to talk to about your asthma just let me know. I know sometimes it makes you feel better just to talk to someone.
Tracey

Old 11-13-2002, 05:21 PM   #8
SASKIACAT

SASKIACAT HB User
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by LAREDOGRL:
Anyone have these symptoms? I'm trying real hard to get past them, but it's so weird. I had two really bad astham attacks a month ago, real ones, had to go to ER. But since then I've had this weird tightness in my chest at least twice a day at different times. I ran to the doc twice and he says he doesn't hear any wheezing and my heart has had tons of tests. This is causing me much anxiety. It's a weird tightness in my chest that definitely mimicks asthma to a tee, but my peak flow meter says i am ok, but it's very hard to breathe so i use my rescue inhalor and it seems to die down. I am on aerobid for about two weeks now and trying to give it a chance, i want to stop it cause it might be doing it to me. please anyone that can help or that has similiar symptoms please let me know. i am at the end of my rope. it's so scary and makes me so anxious. i am focused on this 24/7 now and can't enjoy my life, i'm getting depressed also. if it's not the asthma and the bronchodilator helps it, then what's wrong. anxiety???? any support would be greatly appreciated.
jeanie
I know exactly what you mean, it is sometime difficult to destinguish asthma from anxiety. I actually had a similar problem, what felt like a narrowing of my throat that was not totally alleviated by the albuterol. the doctor sent me to an ENT to make sure I did not have a polyp on my larynx, which I did not. I just got so carried away with it, A mind is a terrible thing. One peice of advise someone once gave which I think is helpful is to take slow deep breaths through your nose, It helps regulate your breathing so you dont get carried away. Hang in there! I know it is hard!

Closed Thread