It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

wheezing or rumbling in the ribs/lungs?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2003, 02:55 PM   #1
Inactive

ilaugh@myself.why HB User
Post wheezing or rumbling in the ribs/lungs?

my asthma hardly ever gives me any problems.. lately tho i've noticed late at night when i take a deep breath a weird sound sorta resonates from my right rib cage or lungs..
i was wondering if when this occurs i should be using my albuterol inhalor? i usually feel fine when it happens, it just gives me a little anxiety..
i've never discussed it with my doctor 'cause i assume it's my asthma.. (i have exercise induced asthma, but i'm sure it can act up at other times)

albuterol when i get these sounds or what?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2003, 10:59 AM   #2
wrin
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
Try coughing, and if it goes away and doesn't come back again for the night, don't worry about it.

If it doesn't clear with coughing, YES you should be taking your albuterol. If it does, but comes back quickly, you should be taking your albuterol.

If this happens more than ... oh I don't know ... say once every couple weeks, or if you're starting to get really worried about it for any other reason, go talk to your doctor, because it could be a sign that your asthma's getting a little bit worse, and jumping on it NOW is by far easier than jumping on it later.

But that's at your doctor's discretion.

Old 05-31-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
Inactive

gracias wrin.

i tried coughing and it goes away after a few coughs and doesn't come back..

i haven't tried using albuterol 'cause it keeps me up at night..

but don't worry i'll be all set now.. i just wanted to make sure it wasn't a definite sign of my asthma acting up.

adios

Old 06-01-2003, 12:36 PM   #4
wrin
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
It might be if it happens with alarming regularity, that's the thing.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to mention it to your dr-- if you're on inhaled corticosteroids he might want to see if upping the dose will help, or if you're not, he might put you on a trial run.

I was having symptoms much like yours, almost every other night -- a phlegmy wheeze that cleared with coughing but came back within about 10 minutes or 20 minutes but wasn't hampering my breathing per se. Upping the dosage on my maintenance meds worked wonders and it hardly happens at all anymore.

Old 06-04-2003, 05:17 PM   #5
Inactive

jeez.. i got lucky finding you wrin. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif

Old 06-05-2003, 05:41 PM   #6
LoNeLyGiRL15

LoNeLyGiRL15 HB User
I have the same problem.When i go to sleep or take a nap I too get the weezing. Its not a sign of an attack usually it is just some flem. Even though what we have is called exercie induce you are able to get it other times to. Just to be safe I would tell my doctor about the weezing. I hope i help you and didnt confuse you.
LoNeLyGiRL15

Old 06-06-2003, 05:31 PM   #7
chemicaldreamer

chemicaldreamer HB User
It's just phlegm buildup. Nothing to worry about. If you're having trouble breathing, then use the inhaler. Getting an air purifier for your room might help as well if you don't have one yet.

Old 06-08-2003, 04:48 PM   #8
Inactive

thanks yall.. i think you're right.. i did suspect it was phlegmmy grossness.. but i didn't know if i needed to worry..
and also, thanks for mentioning a purifier.. i'm usually around pets and smokers constantly.. and it doesn't mix amazingly with the already dry air..

are purifiers expensive?

Closed Thread