It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Clarinex?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2003, 11:34 AM   #1
Ivarsangel

Ivarsangel HB User
Question Clarinex?

I've recently noticed that the TV ads for singular, which used to focus on asthma, are now targeting other allergies. I know that asthma is related to allergies and I also have pretty bad allergies.

I just switched to clarinex for my allergies and the only thing I have for asthma is a proventil inhaler. I've noticed that I use the proventil less often now that I'm on the clarinex.

Do you think the clarinex could be helping my asthma along with my allergies or is it all in my head?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2003, 07:14 PM   #2
wrin
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
YES.

The allergic response has a huge role to play in asthma triggering. Not everyone who has allergies has asthma, and not all people who have asthma have allergies, but for those people who are allergic to certain things and have asthma as well, their allergies often tend to step in and wreak havoc because so many of the mediators that cause allergies also cause asthma symptoms as well, (like histamines and leukotrienes.)

Old 04-03-2003, 09:57 PM   #3
Ivarsangel

Ivarsangel HB User
Cool

Thanks Wrin,

I had a feeling that Clarinex was helping. With pollen season upon us I'm going to make sure I don't run out of it!

Old 04-30-2003, 02:59 PM   #4
kbunch

kbunch HB User
I take clarinex about 7 different asthma medications, and right now my allergies are so bad that none of them are helping.

Old 06-19-2003, 09:49 PM   #5
paul_44011

paul_44011 HB User
Cool

I've had CONFLICTING answers on whether to take Anti-Histamines when having Asthma. My doctor told me to take my Allegra, but the Pharmacist told me that Anti-Histamines will dry out your lungs and make the Asthma worse. He said Singulair by itself would be better.
I also read in a 100 TIPS for Allergies and Asthma that you should NOT take Anti-Histamines when you are having Asthma Symptoms, for the same reason, they dry you out too much. The lungs have to stay as moist as possible! So beware and ask lots of questions to your doctor and Pharmacists

Old 06-21-2003, 02:44 PM   #6
wrin
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
It really depends on how they affect you and what antihistamine you take.

Not every antihistamine will hit you the same way, and not every person is dried out by antihistamines. And then there's asthmatics like me, where the drying-out effect would actually be very welcome. I am a very phlegmy asthmatic.

If it helps, take it.

Closed Thread