It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Stress induced asthma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2004, 11:23 AM   #1
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User
    Stress induced asthma

Two friends of mine were involved in a car accident that killed 2 of the 4 people involved. One of them is one of my friends. She suffered for three days while her brain swelled from a massive head trauma, her carotid arteries burst & they thought they could save her-they life flighted her to a better hospital only to find that she had suffered several strokes in her motor sensory part & she would be a vegetable the rest of her life if she lived. Her boyfriend was the driver, another friend of mine. It wasn't his fault, he is recovering just fine from his injuries. Last nite was her last nite, I said good bye to her at the hospital and watching in one hour her pulse go from 140 to 205, her blood pressure go from 145 to 207(the first number). She was on full life support. She was considered brain dead sometime last nite.
    She is a friend of many of my friends also, including my boyfriend & my closest friends.. This has really hit us all hard.
    I've been just sick from how upset I am, all my muscles are tensing up all over..my legs, my stomach & hurt so bad..and i've been having breathing problems. I've heard that stress can cause an asthma attack but I don't know what should be done about it. My mom says to try & relax by exercising, i'm not sure if that's a good idea if i'm having breathing problems? I'm just having a really tight chest..could be part anxiety part asthma from the stress..i've been just sitting at home taking my inhaler when I need it i'm not sure if I should use Xopenex b/c that makes me nervous..but so does albuterol in large doses. I don't feel like going anywhere...def not 2 the gym 2 work out but who knows maybe later today but right now I feel so miserable, sick & out of breath..what should I do..how do you treat stress induced asthma??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Stress induced asthma

OMG!!! My heart goes out to you at the tragic and sudden loss of your friends. Your physical symptoms are very understandable, and having asthma can definitely be exacerbated by the distress you're experiencing at this time.

It will take time for you to sort out your feelings, and I don't think going to the gym would be the answer.

Overmedicating with the albuterol more than the recommended dosages will cause other physical symptoms and set you up for more problems.

Have you dealt yet with being in the accident? Have you yet dealt with the loss of your friends? Have you seen someone professional who can help you through this?

There is a process for grief. If you don't go through it, suppresssing feelings will come out in other ways.

There are medications such as Ativan which is an anti-anxiety that can help with some of the physical symptoms.

A very good long-time friend of mine died on New Years Eve of a sudden heart attack while snowmobiling. His death hit me hard and I cried for a week missing him and knowing I'll never see him again. I went with it, felt the raw feelings of grief and have dealt with much of my feelings through that.

I also have asthma, and can relate to the stress induced feelings you're having. I read in a book that not enough carbon dioxide in the lungs can cause that tightening feeling and some of the symptoms because of too much oxygen. When we are stressed, we take faster, shallow breaths that cause this loss of carbon dioxide.

At first I thought this was a load of crap and forgot about it until I experienced the tightening feelings in my throat and upper chest airway. I was in bed, thinking of all sorts of stuff and was just too lazy to get my inhaler. I thought about the breathing exercise and tried it.

Basically, it's holding the breath. I draw in a slow breath through my nose for a 5 count. Hold it for a 5 count and through pursed lips let it out for a 5 count. Do this a few times till you feel more relaxed. It works. Also, as you are having the physiological symptoms, I'm sure your mind is starting to have many different thoughts which can also exacerbate them. If you are focussed on the breathing, your mind will also relax.

Don't wait until you are in deeper asthma situation......DO IT IMMEDIATELY upon the first symptom.

Always have your meds with you anyway. But think, don't react. Most of us with asthma knows that the panic feelings make everything seem much worse.

I express to you my deepest sympathies in the tragic death of your fiends. May you have much support from your family, friends and loved ones. May your shared memories and experiences help you through your grief.

My very best to you,
    quincy

Last edited by quincy; 03-14-2004 at 12:11 PM.

Old 03-14-2004, 01:18 PM   #3
    monacks

monacks HB User
    Re: Stress induced asthma

I am so sorry for your loss. What a horrible thing to happen. My heart and prayers go out to all of the families and friends of those involved.

Yes, stress can make asthma much worse. My father-in-law had a massive heart attack in the fall and was hospitalized for 3 months with many complications before he passed away. It was a very stressful period for our family. I started having panic attacks, where I couldn't catch a breath and my chest started hurting. I take Xanax when I have those attacks. And my dr ended up putting me on Zoloft for a few months. Not that I am recommending that you start taking drugs. But you might want to see your dr and maybe he/she can suggest something for you. Taking too much albuterol will definately wire you up and will probably make things worse. It is going to take a while for you process what has happened and deal with it. You definately should speak to someone about it, maybe a clergy member or counseler.

Once things have settled down and you are feeling better, do something fun and relaxing for yourself. You deserve it.

Closed Thread