It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• ~Hi, I'm new! I'm psychotic from Prednisone!!~

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2003, 08:59 PM   #1
    AngeInBoston
    Veteran
    (female)

AngeInBoston HB User
    Unhappy ~Hi, I'm new! I'm psychotic from Prednisone!!~

Hi Everyone, I have found this Message Board in my desperate attempt to learn what I can about what I have been going through, and it has already helped me to know there are others very unhappy with Prednisone too.

A quick overview of my situation: I have had episodic asthma for at least 15 yrs, with episodes increasing in severity. Since I do not battle asthma daily, I tend to be in denial about it when it goes away for months at a time.

Two weeks ago I started having an acute asthma attack, set off by a cough my daughter had. I self treated with Ventolin only for 4 days as it got worse until my inhaler was suddenly empty, at night, and the Dr. office ordered me to go to the Emergency Room. There I received Nebulizer treatments and 60mg Prednisone. The next day my Dr. prescribed Serevent, Flovent and Prednisone 60mg tapering schedule. Two days later I still hadn't improved, and got Zithromax antibiotics and Cough Syrup with Codeine because I had a very phlegmy cough, but no pneumonia.

Finally started breathing better slowly over the next few days, but I have been having terrible side effects from the Meds! I have been absolutely PSYCHOTIC, (not dangerous, don't worry), I have been RAGING with anxiety...all of my emotions are SO incredibly EXTREME, I'm flying off the handle hysterically at the stupidest things...I tremble constantly, have hot flashes, voracious appetite, speeding and hyper. I've been taking Celexa to counteract raging I'd been experiencing since a Prednisone course last year...so I doubled that in an attempt to counteract these problems.....I finally recognized that something was horribly wrong with my chemistry and called my Dr. office in desperation over the weekend, the nurse gave me a faster taper schedule to get off the Prednisone and recommended I keep taking Benadryl which I had already discovered helped a little to slow me down.

The next night I was still feeling like I was about to lose my mind, and I called the Emergency line begging for some Valium, which my husband had suggested to me. They called it in to my pharmacy after agreeing it was a good idea. I'm actually pretty angry that no one had suggested it when I had complained earlier in the week...I DEFINITELY would have benefitted from it a whole week earlier, if I had even known it was a possibility, but I was too muddled to know!

So now I'm off the Prednisone, but still suffering the effects...I'm praying this hasn't permanently altered my personality like this, because I KNOW it DID last year, to a lesser extent! I need to really go over this with a fine tooth comb with my Dr.

I just wanted to share my experience with you, and to ask anyone else if they get all jittery from the Serevent? I don't want to take it anymore because of all the trembling! And now, to top it all off, I think I'm getting a thrush infection from the Flovent, my tongue has been very sore all day! :P

Thanks for listening, and I appreciate any advice you can offer!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2003, 10:08 PM   #2
    wrin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wrin HB User
    I remember one of my friends going on prednisone and saying that it did that to her moods as well. I've never been on it myself -- from what everyone here says, I'd say I'm lucky!

That's a lot of medication you're taking, yeesh, and welcome and I hope you get this under control soon.

I hope hope hope for you that the mood-swinginess goes away after the prednisone taper's been done with for a few weeks. You mentioned that it'd happened before, the mood-swings, on a lower dose of prednisone? And they didn't ever completely go away? I wonder if this is something that you should discuss with your doctor. If there's maybe a reason why they didn't totally go away.

Serevent can sort of be thought of as a bit of a stimulant -- trembling is one of the side-effects, unfortunately. I wonder if there's another drug available ... not sure if it's been approved in the USA yet ... but it's long-acting and a bronchodilator (It's supposed to help with phlegmy coughs too.) It's called Spiriva or tiotropium, it lasts 24 hours and isn't a stimulant like Serevent.

Old 05-05-2003, 10:15 PM   #3
    AngeInBoston
    Veteran
    (female)

AngeInBoston HB User
    Unhappy

Yes, I totally blame Prednisone for causing permanent mood swings in me last year....I had a pretty bad attack and was on Prednisone for over a month...and while I never conciously noticed the extreme raging then, I came to realize it over the next few months, as I embarrassed my children raging at them in public...it took me months of denial before I told my Dr. I needed something for it...that's when I was put on the Celexa. I told my Dr. at the time that I correlated the change with the asthma attack and the Prednisone, but he said that you're supposed to revert back to normal after going off Prednisone, and I just believed that then....but after this episode has been SOOOOO much worse than ever before, I'm convinced now that it must be cumulative!

Old 05-06-2003, 06:23 PM   #4
    charleyhorse

charleyhorse HB User
    Hi. I've been on the prednisone treadmill continuously for several years, anywhere from 100 mg down to 10 mg a day, so I understand that the emotional side effects of the wonder drug are often harder to deal with than the physical problems. I can cope with looking like a stuffed chipmunk - I really dislike not feeling and acting like 'me.' Its a little like permanent PMS. Yuck. ....... However, I am concerned about your experience because what you are describing is extreme for the amount of prednisone you have taken - which would make me suspect you are having an unusual reaction to the medication. It does happen - not everyone can tollerate this stuff. It is also not uncommon to feel the side effects more during the tapering process. I feel absolutely lousy (emotionally and phsyically) every time we adjust the dose, but it does settle down after a few days. I would really urge you to explain your problem in vivid detail to a doctor who understands the ramifications and possible rarer side effects of prednisone. You should not have to suffer like this just to be able to breathe.

Barb

Old 05-06-2003, 07:14 PM   #5
    AngeInBoston
    Veteran
    (female)

AngeInBoston HB User
    Thank you, Barb...I did see my Nurse Practitioner today, and I tried to convey in vivid detail all I've been going through...and I'm sure the fact that I juggle 4 jobs and only sleep 5 hrs a night is a major factor...if I could just catch up on my sleep I'd feel better.....

For now she marked me as "Allergic" to Prednisone so it will be a big red flag in my chart, and I have to go to the Behavioral Health Dept to get them in on my treatment too! She refilled my Valium for now.

I stopped taking my Serevent today, I told the Nurse I hated the trembling hands (and everything else!) too much. It was adding to my problems way too much. I will just keep Ventolin on hand for when I need it.

I just want to feel like me again!

Old 05-07-2003, 09:05 PM   #6
    charleyhorse

charleyhorse HB User
    I'm glad you were able to see someone about your situation. It sounds like you are trying to juggle more than your fair share - and lack of sleep can certainly aggravate all sorts of health problems.

Meds like Serevent do tend to make us pretty shaky although often that effect wears off after a while. There is a new 24-hour Atrovent formulation out. Its called Spiriva in Canada. I don't know where else it is approved. It's usually prescribed for COPD but I got a pretty good response from it and no shaking. Actually, I didn't notice any side effects at all. Unfortunately, it is also very expensive and I don't have a prescription plan so I will probably have to give it up. Anyway, it might be worth checking out if you find you need something to replace the Serevent.

Hope you get some sleep and peace of mind
    Barb

Old 10-28-2003, 06:54 PM   #7
    EmilyMichelle

EmilyMichelle HB User
    Angry

I can relate to having emotional problems while on prednisone. I have been on prednisone at least 5 times in the last year due to anaphylaxis and asthma.
    The medication has saved my life but at the same time has made my life a nightmare. Due to the prednisone, my Adrenal glands arenít working and I am now undergoing treatment for Adrenal gland insufficiency, which can be life threatening. Unfortunately, the treatment consists of going back on Prednisone for a longer period of time and slowly trying to wean off. Throughout this process, I have had many painful side effects and am suffering bone loss. However, the worst part of it is that I have had serious mood swings which several times have included rages of anger and uncontrollable crying. I experienced this last night and it is very frightening. I feel a total loss of control. I feel possessed. Right now, I am very frightened, embarrassed and ashamed. I feel like a horrible person for the behavior that I have displayed while on Prednisone. I know that I cannot stop the medication right now or I can die from the Adrenal Gland Insufficiency but I hate what the medication has done to me. I am worried and afraid about my future and the future of my relationship with my significant other. My behavior while on this medication has had a negative impact on my relationship. I am very depressed about this situation. I went on an antidepressant 3 weeks ago and am going to a councilor.

Closed Thread