It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Stopping Advair.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2004, 12:28 PM   #1
    Danitom
    (female)

Danitom HB User
    Stopping Advair.....

can you just stop using Advair or do you have to do it gradual? I know this is going to sound HORRIBLE but...... I simply can't afford it. My daughter has 14 doses left(7days) and I can't get her prescription filled. No....I can't borrow the money from anyone, yes, I have insurance but it is a reimbursement type. I don't know what to do. She has her Singulair(which I just got filled) and I can keep her on one of them but not both..........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User
    Re: Stopping Advair.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danitom
    can you just stop using Advair or do you have to do it gradual? I know this is going to sound HORRIBLE but...... I simply can't afford it. My daughter has 14 doses left(7days) and I can't get her prescription filled. No....I can't borrow the money from anyone, yes, I have insurance but it is a reimbursement type. I don't know what to do. She has her Singulair(which I just got filled) and I can keep her on one of them but not both..........
    Which do you feel works more for her? Honestly you may be surprised at how much Singulair does on it's own. My best friend has moderate asthma without it, but with just Singulair she gets along just fine. She's on a low dosage isn't she..100/50? You really can't get off of that gradually. I've gone off of Advair before, then developed bronchitis a week later..then went back on. But I was fine for the first week while the effects slowly wore off. So she prolly won't notice much different right away. Can you get samples from your doctor? We recently had a lapse in coverage(long story, mistake on our insurance's part) and my doctor was GREAT about giving the entire family samples until we were covered again. A few ideas..what about the Advair MDI..is it any cheaper? What about giving it to her once a day in a higher dosage? Glaxosmithkline makes Advair..check to see if the company does any kind of free prescription programs for those who can't afford it..also talk 2 your doctor, they may know some things you don't about grants and such. Not 2 long ago(last year) my sister had 2 be rushed 2 the ER and had a 5 day hospital stay, but she had no insurance and no income. We wrote a letter 2 the hospital and got all 6k of her medical bills paid off by a grant. Also do you have any family who could get the medication for you under their insurance? We have done this before also for my sister. I would try taking her off the Advair though now to see if she can handle it, give it a good week if nothing happens, then your good. But this way you at least have some medicine 2 get you through if she needs it until you figure something out. Does she have an albuterol inhaler or Xopenex for a nebulizer? Keep that handy. Are nebulized medications an option? I hear they are cheaper. My insurance doesn't cover any kind of nebulized meds though, so check on that. Good luck! I hope you can figure things out!

Old 04-21-2004, 04:50 PM   #3
    VegasGirl
    Veteran
    (female)

VegasGirl HB User

Singulair didn't do anything for me, I couldn't live without my Advair. I'd talk to your doctor and see which one he thinks is more necessary. Maybe the doctor can give you a sample of Advair to use until you can afford to get a prescription filled. They will usually do that for you if you ask. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2004, 06:27 PM   #4
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User

VegasGirl, I've been wondering how you were doing. You were diagnosed with reactive airway disease, I think?? I have been wondering if thats what I have because I seemed to get worse after a bout with bronchitis. Let me know how your're doing and what your doctors has said... Thanks, Cindy

Old 04-22-2004, 09:16 AM   #5
    Danitom
    (female)

Danitom HB User

I think the Singulair is more effective for her than the Advair. Her doc is good about giving samples......it is just kinda embarrasing to ask....... but worth it for my little girl.

She does have an albuterol inhaler and she does have xopenex and a nebulizer. The xopenex is pretty pricey too. The inhaler is the ONLY med she has been put on that is affordable. She also takes Pediox and Patanol(eye drops) as needed for her allergies. I would like to see how she does with JUST the singulair anyway......I hate to have to give her more meds than needed. She is on the lowest dose of Advair. It is so sad medicine is so expensive.

Last edited by Danitom; 04-22-2004 at 09:17 AM.

Old 04-22-2004, 10:25 AM   #6
    jp3892
    Inactive

jp3892 HB User

Although Xopenex is better than albuterol, the most important thing is the controller medication. U can worry about which reliever she takes later, when u have the money (especially since Xopenex is so expensive cos its a new drug). Use the money spent on Xopenex to buy controller meds.

Old 04-22-2004, 12:49 PM   #7
    Danitom
    (female)

Danitom HB User

well, GOOD NEWS! We have two more weeks worth of ADVAIR before I have to buy it.......the doc gave her a sample disc(28 uses).....so, we just have to work it in to our budget in the next two weeks........It is worth it to keep her from developing pneumonia.

Is there a xopenex inhaler?? She tolerates the xopenex better than albuterol but I didn't know if they made a xopenex inhaler. We have the xopenex to be nebulized. We seldom have to use that since she started her controller meds.

Last edited by Danitom; 04-22-2004 at 12:51 PM.

Old 04-22-2004, 05:54 PM   #8
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Quote:
    well, GOOD NEWS! We have two more weeks worth of ADVAIR before I have to buy it.......the doc gave her a sample disc(28 uses).....so, we just have to work it in to our budget in the next two weeks........It is worth it to keep her from developing pneumonia.

Is there a xopenex inhaler?? She tolerates the xopenex better than albuterol but I didn't know if they made a xopenex inhaler. We have the xopenex to be nebulized. We seldom have to use that since she started her controller meds.
    Not just yet but it just finished its final round of testing before being presented to the FDA..i'm excited, the day it becomes available i'm throwing out my albuterol in haler and filling a prescription for it..albuterol doesn't even compare 2 how well Xopenex works. I can't wait.. finally less side effects AND more effectiveness whenever wherever!

Old 04-22-2004, 06:52 PM   #9
    zimnah

zimnah HB User

Quote:
    Where I live, there are medical facilities that cater to people who have little or no insurance. They usually have surplus supplies that they can provide for little cost or free, depending on financial status. While your daughter will need to remain in the highest level possible care, you may want to supplement with this alternative. The place here in Pennsylvania is called Redi-care. There were similar places when I lived in Hawaii and in California. Check your local listings for public health clinics and the like. Good luck!!

Old 04-23-2004, 12:00 PM   #10
    Danitom
    (female)

Danitom HB User

zimnah- thanks and I will definitly check into that. It makes me feel so bad that we can't afford to keep our daughter healthy. Maybe this will be the answer we have been waiting for.

Blondee15- I don't know which works better for my daughter because she is just six and she never complains much about her symptoms. I really have to keep a close watch on things such as her eating/breathing, the way she breathes when she talks,I constantly have to ask her did you cough alot at school today? Did Mrs.so-n-so send you to get water?(that is when I KNOW it was a bad cough) She would just keep right on trucking till she completely fell out........it is hard when they are so young and strong-willed!

Old 04-24-2004, 07:43 PM   #11
    monacks

monacks HB User

I feel for you. My prescriptions are $30 copay for a refill and let's see, I'm on 6 regular medicines per month, so $180 every month just for the every day medicines, and then I ALWAYS have one or two extra like an antibiotic or something for one of my kids. My husband told me the other day, half jokingly that I need to pick one or two meds and not get any of the others as its putting a crimp in the budget. Anyways, I now use the mail in order which fills 3 for the price of 2. I don't know if you have something like that available. I've also heard that Costco sells medicines cheaper. And then of course you can go across the border, either to Canada or Mexico. I know people on Medicare that go to Canada and pay alot less. Of course I don't know where you live, so that might not be an option. I wonder if your local health department can help out.

In my case, I think I would quit the Singulair before the Advair, but I think the best thing would be to ask the dr.

Old 04-24-2004, 10:59 PM   #12
    zimnah

zimnah HB User

6 year olds....my youngest is 9, and very determined to have her own way. I can relate!!! Most drug companies give samples. After I posted my last response, I spoke to my doctor who told me that most physicians get samples from drug companies. In the course of recovering from a recent bout of pneumonia on IV antibiotics, the doctor had a sample of the 500 dose of Advair (I'm usually on the 250). I didn't have to pay for it, and I have 6 days remaining for the IV antibiotics (hurray!!!). Don't feel bad...you are doing your best for your child, and I'll bet she knows that. :-)

Old 04-26-2004, 07:53 AM   #13
    Danitom
    (female)

Danitom HB User

I live in Alabama. We don't have a Costco here. As for our local health department....I won't step foot in the place. When my son was six weeks old we took him there for immunizations and he ended up developing Pertusis and being intubated. He had to have picked it up there. It is a germ-infested building and I steer clear of that place!!

Thanks again for all your suggestions and encouragement. Atleast we are good for a few weeks with ALL HER MEDS!!

Old 04-27-2004, 08:57 AM   #14
    grace2

grace2 HB User

Go to to Advair's web site and sign up for their newsletter. I did it a few months ago and they sent me a coupon for a free month supply of advair. That was a couple of months ago and last month they sent me a coupon for $10 off another months supply. It helps me a lot because Advair has been like a miracle drug for me and my insurance co-pay is $50. (You can use the coupon with insurance). I hope your daughter does well no matter what you decide.

Last edited by grace2; 04-27-2004 at 09:01 AM.

Old 05-08-2004, 05:47 PM   #15
    TweetPea

TweetPea HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Stopping Advair.....

If you go to,

http://www.bridgestoaccess.gsk.com (Glaxco Smith Kline site)

you should find information on obtaining vouchers for nearly free Advair. Read the program description and see if it applies to you. You will need to have your doctor or doctor's nurse be your advocate. I recently was able to get 2 months for $12.

Many pharmacuital companies have financial assistance posted on their wed sites, unfortunately people just don't think to look and the doctor's don't advise patients of these things.

Hope the info helps you.

Closed Thread