It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Does acid reflux cause asthma or does asthma cause acid reflux?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2004, 06:09 PM   #1
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User
    Does acid reflux cause asthma or does asthma cause acid reflux?

And the debate goes on..
    For the past week i've been struggling with acid reflux. I've never had it like this before..i've only gotten it from taking prednisone & when I was sick, couldn't eat & then ate again(so only 3 times in my life up until now). Last Friday I started having sharp burning pain in my stomach only seconds after swallowing what i'd eat. It got 2 the point of not being able 2 drink water without pain. I wasn't even able to eat crackers or bread..started on Aciphex Monday for 7-10 days(whatever it takes)and yesterday(Thursday) I was able to eat crackers, bread, rice without 2 much pain. I can eat plenty actually..like normal servings with only some pain. But I can't eat much of anything else, ESP not chocolate or other foods like that(my fav food=( ). I read on the Mayo clinic website that asthma causes acid reflux(from the coughing and forceful breathing). It also said that acid reflux causes asthma b/c of aspirating micro portions of acid. It said also the connection wasn't completely understood between the two, but they often occured together. My asthma is fine now, even on a lower dose of Advair..not coughing anymore than usual..what do yall think(or know)? Which causes which? Do any of you have acid reflux that irritates your asthma? Or vice versa?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2004, 05:46 AM   #2
    jerrie97
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jerrie97 HB User
    Re: Does acid reflux cause asthma or does asthma cause acid reflux?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blondee15
    And the debate goes on..
    For the past week i've been struggling with acid reflux. I've never had it like this before..i've only gotten it from taking prednisone & when I was sick, couldn't eat & then ate again(so only 3 times in my life up until now). Last Friday I started having sharp burning pain in my stomach only seconds after swallowing what i'd eat. It got 2 the point of not being able 2 drink water without pain. I wasn't even able to eat crackers or bread..started on Aciphex Monday for 7-10 days(whatever it takes)and yesterday(Thursday) I was able to eat crackers, bread, rice without 2 much pain. I can eat plenty actually..like normal servings with only some pain. But I can't eat much of anything else, ESP not chocolate or other foods like that(my fav food=( ). I read on the Mayo clinic website that asthma causes acid reflux(from the coughing and forceful breathing). It also said that acid reflux causes asthma b/c of aspirating micro portions of acid. It said also the connection wasn't completely understood between the two, but they often occured together. My asthma is fine now, even on a lower dose of Advair..not coughing anymore than usual..what do yall think(or know)? Which causes which? Do any of you have acid reflux that irritates your asthma? Or vice versa?
    It goes both ways. Some people have acid reflux that causes asthma, others have asthma that causes reflux. It's common to see the two together. There have been many theories behind it, such as the lungs are hyperinflated in an attack, which presses on the stomach and causes a backflow of stomach contents. Another theory is that reliever medication not only dilates the bronchi, but the lower esophageal sphincter as well. Microaspirations of stomach acid is another theory, but mainly at night. Acid reflux has been blamed for everything lately though since GERD is one of the most common conditions around.

As for you, you could try drinking some milk. Cow's milk has a pH of anywhere from 6.4-6.8, which puts it close to a pH of 7, which is neutral. Soybean milk has a pH of exactly 7. Aloe vera juice helps with stomach conditions, and has a pH of 6.1 or so (my dad drinks Aloe vera juice for his Crohn's disease flare-ups) You could try eating spinach too - it has a high pH (6.4?) Hope that helped.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:12 AM   #3
    jp3892
    Inactive

jp3892 HB User

I heard somewhere that milk is actually bad for such a stomach but I don't think it was pH related.

Anyway I believe that the significant link between asthma and acid reflux is caused by (as u say) corticosteroids (even inhaled!). It is just one of the MANY side effects of this drug. In fact I have just started it and have now developed quite bad acid reflux!

Old 05-03-2004, 11:43 AM   #4
    jerrie97
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jp3892
    I heard somewhere that milk is actually bad for such a stomach but I don't think it was pH related.

Anyway I believe that the significant link between asthma and acid reflux is caused by (as u say) corticosteroids (even inhaled!). It is just one of the MANY side effects of this drug. In fact I have just started it and have now developed quite bad acid reflux!
    Not really...doctors recommend that people drink milk for acid reflux and stomach ulcers.

Old 05-03-2004, 12:00 PM   #5
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

i've been on advair for quite some time now(a year) and flonase for even longer(2 years) and have never had acid reflux problems that seemed to correlate with inhaled steroid use.. I have a lot going on right now, stressed at work, at school(graduating next month!), at home, with friends & boyfriend, for prom(this saturday!)..so I have a LOT going on right now..the Aciphex is helping a TON(I can eat most foods that don't trigger problems like no tomatoes anything, no citrusy stuff, no fast food..etc) but I think once this month is over, or at least this week with prom is over, things will be better if not back 2 normal. Not terribly concerned about my stomach, i'm pretty positive it's acid reflux cuz it runs in the family(every person in my immediate family has it), it's just a little annoying not being able 2 eat or drink. I wasjust wondering about the connection between asthma & acid reflux b/c I hear they both cause each other. I've been trying to drink milk & eat tons of yogurt(hear its the best thing for digestion) & whole grain stuff. A bland diet with lots of calcium has been the best thing along with Aciphex so far. thanks for the ideas..didn't know spinach was so good for it, I actually love spinach..hehe..

Old 05-04-2004, 04:37 AM   #6
    jp3892
    Inactive

jp3892 HB User

But Blondee, u HAVE acid reflux!!! Isn't that enough correlation with steroids (since u have been on more than most others haven't u)?!

Last edited by jp3892; 05-04-2004 at 04:38 AM.

Closed Thread