It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Anyone with a dust allergy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2004, 08:14 AM   #1
    Gal4Dale88USP

Gal4Dale88USP HB User
    Anyone with a dust allergy?

It's me again!

I just found out I'm allergic to dust! How in the world do you avoid dust? I keep a clean house,,,however,,,I drive a school bus,,,going down the back dirt roads with all the windows open about takes me out. Always zip home and take a neb treatment asap. My doc wants me to start taking a shot once a month,,,does anyone else take these?

I wish he would of done the entire allergy test,,,the poke the back kind. He drew blood and tested for about 8 things.

Thanks for listening,,,again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2004, 10:03 AM   #2
    jp3892
    Inactive

jp3892 HB User
    Re: Anyone with a dust allergy?

Its very hard to avoid dust, especially dust mites. That is why they prescibe steroids!

Old 05-20-2004, 12:30 PM   #3
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User

I used to be very allergic to dust mites, but I took allergy shots for 4 years and when I was retested that allergy had gone significantly down. I'm still allergic to trees, pollen, grass, and dog dander, though It is almost impossible to avoid dust. Do you use a steroid nasal spray? I have one, but am trying something different for awhile in additional to that. It is a natural olive leaf extract and grapefruit seed extract nasal spray from Seagate. I got it at the health food store. It makes my nose feel very clean when I use it and no side affects. I will try it till the bottle runs out and if it helps me , I might try to ditch the steroid spray. Gee, you drive a school bus, do you think you might have to switch to another job, maybe one that is indoors all the time? Oh, by the way, my allergy shots were once a week. What is the shot that is once a month? That is more like it!!

Last edited by Howitt44; 05-20-2004 at 12:30 PM.

Old 05-20-2004, 12:34 PM   #4
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

I am pretty allergic to dust.. I tested allergic to 2 diff kinds of dust(?) & those were, among ragweed, my strongest reactions. This is why you may notice your asthma takes a turn when it first gets cold & the heat comes- the heat stirs up dust & gets it in the air.
    There are a lot of things you can do to cut down on dust. Vacuum as often as possible, with a HEPA filter, use HEPA air filters for the house and the vents, get dust proof mattress encasings for your pillows & mattresses, there is even allergy proof bedding. Just type in allergy products online & tons of stuf will come up. My allergist gave me about 3 diff catalogs for stuff- I didn't order anything b/c.. as I see it..I don't want 2 sensitize myself even more..can't live in a bubble.. this is life there will be dust everywhere..but that stuff will help. ALSO wood floors make a HUGE difference! We got wood floors for several reasons but it really helped my allergies.

Old 05-20-2004, 12:42 PM   #5
    jerrie97
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Howitt44
    I used to be very allergic to dust mites, but I took allergy shots for 4 years and when I was retested that allergy had gone significantly down. I'm still allergic to trees, pollen, grass, and dog dander, though It is almost impossible to avoid dust. Do you use a steroid nasal spray? I have one, but am trying something different for awhile in additional to that. It is a natural olive leaf extract and grapefruit seed extract nasal spray from Seagate. I got it at the health food store. It makes my nose feel very clean when I use it and no side affects. I will try it till the bottle runs out and if it helps me , I might try to ditch the steroid spray. Gee, you drive a school bus, do you think you might have to switch to another job, maybe one that is indoors all the time? Oh, by the way, my allergy shots were once a week. What is the shot that is once a month? That is more like it!!
    I got tested for allergies and had a whole bunch. I had to give away my cat.

That nasal spray sounds edible/drinkable, Howitt, lol.

The once a month injection is Xolair. I think. I get my first injection in June, I had an IgE taken a few weeks ago and it was pretty high (900-something?)

Old 05-20-2004, 01:31 PM   #6
    Gal4Dale88USP

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

Thank you all for answering!

I'm not sure what to do here. I know I don't like my lung doc,,,he's the one who wants me to start the shots. Maybe I'll try my family doc and see if he can handle this for me.

Thanks again!!!

Closed Thread