It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Afraid to begin Advair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2004, 02:01 PM   #1
    ldybug4134
    (female)

ldybug4134 HB User
    Question Afraid to begin Advair

Hi, I am new here. I have asthma and I am 27 years old. My asthma became evident during highschool. It has gotten worse through the years and I believe it is from weight gain. After my second pregnancy I gained a lot of weight. I would say that I am 50 pounds more now than I was in highschool. I also have allergies. I am very allergic to cats, mold, dust and some animal dander. All of these make my asthma worse, but it is still there even without the allergies. Humid weather doesn't help either! Well, to make a long story short my doc prescribed me Advair. I have never been on a long term asthma medicine. All I usually do is take my albuterol inhaler everyday! I know that's bad! I take it a lot actually. I am also on Allegra to help with the allergy problems. My doctor said the Advair should help me so much where I won't need to take my albuterol. I was also on prednisone a week ago b/c I was sick and it went right to my chest. This happens to me at least 2-3 times a year. I don't know if Advair would help with that and make it stay out of my chest, do you? Also, I read the insert to Advair and what is this about all of the asthma related deaths for certain people who begin Advair? It doesn't sound too encouraging! I have two children, 3 and 5, and I can't have anything serious happen to me. I do want to be healthy and keep my asthma under control and I am trying to do so by getting this prescription, but after reading all of that I am deathly afraid to begin! How does or how can this happen to someone? How do you know if you are at risk? I am not african american so that is not a worry like it stated. I told my doc the other day that I was afraid to take it and he basically laughed at me without giving me details of why he thinks I will be okay. Should I try something instead of Advair like singulair? Something else? BTW, they prescribed me the lowest dose to start with. I am very confused and I am one of those people who is afraid to try new meds even when the risks aren't bad. So imagine how I am feeling now? Sorry if I sound crazy for nothing!
    I just need some advice here. Let me know what you would do please.
    Thanks so much!
    ~Krista~

Last edited by ldybug4134; 05-22-2004 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2004, 03:10 PM   #2
    jerrie97
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jerrie97 HB User
    Re: Afraid to begin Advair

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ldybug4134
    Hi, I am new here. I have asthma and I am 27 years old. My asthma became evident during highschool. It has gotten worse through the years and I believe it is from weight gain. After my second pregnancy I gained a lot of weight. I would say that I am 50 pounds more now than I was in highschool. I also have allergies. I am very allergic to cats, mold, dust and some animal dander. All of these make my asthma worse, but it is still there even without the allergies. Humid weather doesn't help either! Well, to make a long story short my doc prescribed me Advair. I have never been on a long term asthma medicine. All I usually do is take my albuterol inhaler everyday! I know that's bad! I take it a lot actually. I am also on Allegra to help with the allergy problems. My doctor said the Advair should help me so much where I won't need to take my albuterol. I was also on prednisone a week ago b/c I was sick and it went right to my chest. This happens to me at least 2-3 times a year. I don't know if Advair would help with that and make it stay out of my chest, do you? Also, I read the insert to Advair and what is this about all of the asthma related deaths for certain people who begin Advair? It doesn't sound too encouraging! I have two children, 3 and 5, and I can't have anything serious happen to me. I do want to be healthy and keep my asthma under control and I am trying to do so by getting this prescription, but after reading all of that I am deathly afraid to begin! How does or how can this happen to someone? How do you know if you are at risk? I am not african american so that is not a worry like it stated. I told my doc the other day that I was afraid to take it and he basically laughed at me without giving me details of why he thinks I will be okay. Should I try something instead of Advair like singulair? Something else? BTW, they prescribed me the lowest dose to start with. I am very confused and I am one of those people who is afraid to try new meds even when the risks aren't bad. So imagine how I am feeling now? Sorry if I sound crazy for nothing!
    I just need some advice here. Let me know what you would do please.
    Thanks so much!
    ~Krista~

Think of it like this: would you rather take your albuterol several times a day, or Advair twice a day and albuterol once in a while?

By the way, I've heard that albuterol actually inflames the airways even further once the initial effects wear off.

The asthma related deaths are related to the salmeterol in the Advair ...but they're very rare. I'd say like 1-2% of the asthmatic population experiences a severe episode of asthma due to Advair.

I'd say try the Advair first before asking about Singulair. Most people are satisfied with the results of the Advair. It takes about two weeks to reach it's full potential in decreasing airway inflammation, but you might feel results within 20 minutes because of the long-acting bronchodilator (salmeterol). Singulair would be a good option since you seem like a very allergic person, but because you're already on Allegra, have Singulair as your second choice if you don't like Advair.

Some people say Advair helps with colds turning into bronchitis/pneumonia or whatnot, others say it makes it worse. You still might need a prednisone burst here and there either way.

Old 05-22-2004, 05:03 PM   #3
    reader1
    Veteran

reader1 HB User
    I love Advair

It really sounds like you need to be on a long term preventative medication. Albuterol is generally known as a rescue med. Advair contains two drugs - a long acting form of albuterol which stays in your system up to 12 hours and an anti-inflammatory (inhaled steroid). the inhaled steroid is much safer than oral prednisone. Advair comes in three doses and most folks can take the lowest dose as a maintenance med. Advair is VERY effective and well tolerated by most people.

Singulair is an anti-leukotryne (I know I didn't spell that right) and works completely differently. There are a lot of very allergic asthmatics that take both Advair and Singulair.

Singulair does not work for some people. Me, for example.

If you are relying on your albuterol inhaler daily, then you have poorly controlled asthma and you need to follow your doc's instructions and try advair.

Old 05-22-2004, 09:53 PM   #4
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User

Krista,
    I know how you feel; I was the same way. My goal was to live the longest and healthiest I could without prescription medicine. LOL!! Oh, well, I should count my blessings! Anyway, I think you will be very pleased with Advair. The only side affect I have had is a little raspy throat. AFter you use it, rinse your mouth and thats it. By the way, I didn't get asthma until after I had gained a lot of weight having my children also!! Do you think if we lost the weight it would help? Only instead of 50 lbs I need to lose about 70. My goal is to lose weight, exercise, stay with my meds, and get my immune system stronger., Also, the other posters are right about Albuterol. It is dangerous to overuse it. I would say if you have to use it more than twice a week, that is too much. Don't worry, Advair works great and is simple to use.
    Cindy

Old 05-23-2004, 03:48 AM   #5
    heddy73
    Veteran
    (female)

heddy73 HB User

My hubby has had asthma his whole life. He was using his albuterol inhaler way too much. I ended up taking him to ER because he couldn't breathe. After about 4 hours of treatments and oxygen they got his oxygen level up to where it should be. The put him on Advair and after 2 weeks he was like a new person. He was put on prednisone for 3 days and an anitbiotic for 10 days cause he also had sinus infection. He used to snore soooooooo bad and since starting the Advair(its been 3 months) he doesn't at all. It has cleared him up alot. He is alllergic to cats,dogs(most animals with dander),grass, mold,birch trees(I told him that he would have to really watch this one)haha.We don't have birch trees in our area....I would recommend it to anyone. It has made our lives much better.

Old 05-23-2004, 04:31 AM   #6
    teachergirl64
    Veteran
    (female)

teachergirl64 HB User

My hubby has moderate asthma. He is supposed to use Advair twice daily, but doesn't all the time. He does so much better when he uses like he is supposed to. It has helped him so he doesn't need the Albuterol so often.

Old 05-23-2004, 01:29 PM   #7
    zimnah

zimnah HB User

I had severe asthma when my children were younger (same age as yours) and I
    ended up bypassing albuterol and going straight to epinepherine injections. When Serevent came out, it was freedom in an inhaler. Then my doctor switched me to Advair, along with Allegra (wonderful anti-allergy drug, isn't it?). THe combination of Advair and Allegra has been eye opening. I live in Northeast US now, and I have to tell you, it is allergy central. Advair has saved my lifestyle...probably even my life. I also get sick 2-3 times a year, with bronchitis and such, and Advair helps...I used to get sick 7-8 times a year. I hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2004, 05:15 PM   #8
    ldybug4134
    (female)

ldybug4134 HB User

Wow, you sound exactly like me! I also live in the northeast. (connecticut) Yeah, allergies are so bad here! Thanks for the advice. Thanks to everyone who responded b/c I feel better now.

~Krista~

Old 05-24-2004, 09:06 PM   #9
    kellie2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kellie2 HB User

I am SO much like you - give me a new pill, I'll find a reason not to take it. I'm just very leary to try anything new because I'm so afraid of side effects. But you really do need to get your asthma under control because if you don't, your lungs are going to end up scarred later on and your breathing may get to a point that it won't be able to be improved even with an inhaler. And if you're using your inhaler as much as you say you are, that's way too much. Advair has been a lifesaver for thousands of people....literally. Wouldn't you like to be one of them? You really have no idea what it feels like to breathe good; and once you start using the Advair, you'll know. There is nothing to be afraid of.....really. I do want to tell you the correct way to use it, though. Make sure you hold it level when you use it, don't tip it. Look in a mirror when you do it to be sure it's even, as many people don't pay attention and hold it like a sandwich, and when you tip it like that, much of the powder will end up on the roof of your mouth or the back of your throat instead of in your lungs. After you use it, just rinsing your mouth isn't enough; you need to use a full glass to rinse your mouth, then brush your teeth, then use a full glass of water to rinse your mouth again. This will prevent you from getting oral thrush. And make sure you spit the water out when you rinse, don't swallow it.
    I'm on the lowest dose too - 100/50 - and I've gotten to where I can use it only once a day and feel great. Once you get yours under control to where you're feeling like you should, maybe try to lower it from twice a day to once and see how you feel. Your goal is to control it with as little meds as possible, and if you can get by on once a day, do it. But start off with twice a day until you're breathing like you should before you try lowering it.

Why don't you write again after you've been on it for awhile and let us know how it's working, ok? Take care.

Old 06-18-2004, 10:56 PM   #10
    mladysmom
    (female)

mladysmom HB User

hello i am 46 and i am thankfull i am on advair for the first time in my life i am able to breathe, as a child my whole family has server asthma the animal dander , the whole thing like you,, even have pulimary machine which helps at times too when it gets into my chest say a chest cold, i would try the advair and see how it works for you,,, even on the low dose it could make a diffence in your life and a better one at that,, also remember if you decide to take this , hold your nose as you breathe in the spray,, ok this helps it to get into your lungs not your throat to cause irration,, you might also want to rinse your mouth out ,, so you dont have a yucky tast hanging on,, i use the 500/50a and this works wonderfull for me,, i have been on just about every thing but the singular,, so i cant help you in this,, but i hope you are feeling better soon ,, sincerly Joann- big bear , california

Old 06-19-2004, 07:26 AM   #11
    ldybug4134
    (female)

ldybug4134 HB User

Joann:

Hi and thanks for your response. I have started the Advair. I have been on it for almost a month now. I am amazed at the results. I have not taken my albuterol inhaler, but maybe 3 times (days when I was outside in the humidity chasing my girls around.) Usually even with the humidity I don't need my albuterol. I CAN BREATHE great for once. I am sorry I didn't take this sooner. Thanks to you guys I started a while ago and am doing well on this medicine at the lowest dose. Yes, I wash out my mouth everytime.

~Krista~

Closed Thread