It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• How does it all of a sudden just start?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2004, 06:40 PM   #1
    Ellethiel
    (female)

Ellethiel HB User
    How does it all of a sudden just start?

I am a runner, and i did cross country this year in the fall and my breathing was fine. at the time i didn't have asthma, and had never had it before. then i took the winter off from running (as usual) and when track started up in late february/early march, i all of a sudden had a lot of trouble breathing. Saw the doctor and they said i have asthma. But now what i am wondering, is how it set in so suddenly. because it isn't like running was a new thing for me, and i have been an active person my whole life and havn't had any problems with breathing. then all of a sudden even when i am not exercising i can't breathe.
    So why would it do that? or how does it happen so suddenly and seemingly without explanation?
    -Ellethiel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2004, 07:25 PM   #2
    ldybug4134
    (female)

ldybug4134 HB User
    Re: How does it all of a sudden just start?

Well I can't answer your question, but I will tell you that the same thing happened to me when I was in highschool. I was always active. I played sports and never stopped doing active things. It was when I played softball my second year of hs that i couldn't breathe. I went to a doctor and they said I had asthma. That was the first I heard of it. When I look back I believe that I had it, but was never diagnosed. I was always having bronchitis as a child and always had bad allergies too. I guess I will never know, but it does bother me b/c I remember what it was like to not have any of these problems. I am sure you will get some good answers here as I did for my question. Good luck!
    ~Krista~

Old 05-23-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

I've been a gymnast for 9 years and in my 7th year I started having trouble breathing. I realized my cardiovascular endurance was extremely low compared to my teammates, despite the conditioning I did. I noticed that my muscles wouldn't be tired yet I would be really short of breath during running. A few months later, I had full blown asthma- attacks almost everyday, constant infections, constant coughs, etc.
    My asthma stems from a few possible things, but what my doctor has told me is that it stemmed from my severe skin allergies I had from when I was a baby to about age 12. Have you ever had any kind of skin allergies or seasonal allergies? Often, those will lead to asthmatic symptoms in conjuction with, or later in life. Do you know if you have any allergies? I HIGHLY recommend allergy testing.. I turned out to be pretty allergic to dust, which is rampant in a gymnastics gym. well hope this helps..

Old 05-26-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
    Ellethiel
    (female)

Ellethiel HB User

Lets see, I had some skin allergies when i was in 4th grade, but after 5th or 6th it wasn't bad at all. I am allergic to dust and mold, and ragweed, mostly skin but also sneezing. My allergies are not bad at all, and I never get really sick from allergies, just sneezing fits. I also never get sick from my asthma, or i havn't yet.
    I also noticed when i was younger, and now, that when i exercise my muscles don't get tired but my lungs do, has always been that way, but only recently did it start to be more of a "I CAN'T breathe" thing.
    Nothing really eventful happend during the winter. I did notice eventually that other than running hard, things that were stressful or things i was anxious about brought on asthma attacks. I also recently noticed that when i am running, the asthma attacks happen mostly if i sprint or push really hard when i am running. so i just pace myself in a race so that i dont push too hard and bring on an attack, and then only push hard at the end of the race. cuz hey, then i can't breathe, but oh well, i'm done with the race!
    Any more help would be great. thanks so much!
    -Ellethiel

Old 05-26-2004, 06:37 PM   #5
    aldot

aldot HB User

With asthma shortness of breath is caused by having a very tender liver. The liver tenderness is due to a lack of enzymes. Fruits and vegetables have many enzymes which are easily destroyed by heating

Old 05-27-2004, 06:03 AM   #6
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User

After being diagnosed a couple of years ago, I did a lot of reading and researching about asthma. I have come to the conclusion that childhood asthma and adult asthma are completely different. By adult asthma I mean any asthma that develops after adolescence. Childhood asthma can show up in infancy and be severe when there is an attack, but between attacks their lungs can be normal. Usually bronchodilators help. But adult asthma can creep up on you and be vague, not sudden attacks. Usually there is a lot of inflammation and a preventative steroid inhaler has to be taken daily. But asthma is so different from person to person. Just from reading this board and listening to other adults, adult asthma seems to be related more to chronic disease; where there are other things going on in our body. Maybe it started with an severe case of bronchitis. The immune system gets out of whack. Some people develop fibromialgia or chronic fatigue. The post right before me mentioned something about the liver, other people have talked about adrenal problems. Maybe if we can aggressively treat the problem with doctor prescribed steroid inhalers (temporarily hopefully) and just eat better, take vitamins, get our immune system healthier it might help. Chronic problems come with years and years of abuse on the system. Maybe doing a body cleanse twice a year. That cleanses the blood, liver and kidneys. Even if nothing else you'll feel better. I know because I just finished one. We get an accumulation of toxins in our systems just by living and eating in our toxc world. Some people get asthma, some other problems. I guess what I'm trying to say is I think our asthma that comes after we are older is more of a immune problems. Try to fix that and who knows, maybe our asthma will get better also.

Old 05-27-2004, 05:02 PM   #7
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

I believe i've read that childhood asthma that is severe & uncontrolled is commonly the result of underdeveloped lungs & that is why many times it subsides as the child gets older. Also read that adult onset asthma is usually the result of decreasing lung capacity, and deterioration of lung tissue.
    There is the big category of people who are ALLERGIC asthmatic.. this can be onset at any age. However there is a connection it seems to atopic dermatitis(skin allergies) to the onset of asthma/hay fever at adolecense(I think I spelled that right). Those with hay fever have an 80% chance of developing asthma, and those with atopic dermatitis have a 60-70% chance of developing asthma. Some facts i've seen somewhere.

Old 05-28-2004, 02:07 AM   #8
    jp3892
    Inactive

jp3892 HB User

Are u suggesting Howitt that in between attacks asthmatic children should not be on a preventative inhaler (or at least just a very low dose)? I was diagnosed with childhood asthma and was put on all sorts of meds for about 20 years. The only times I had symptoms was during a viral infection (where I would be admitted and put on even more meds!). Maybe your theory explains this?!

Closed Thread