It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Asthma attacks~ when the meds don't do enough

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2004, 10:20 AM   #1
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User
    Asthma attacks~ when the meds don't do enough

Last nite I had to go to a meeting that had a lot of people there, and a lot of smoking. I thought I would be alright, but I was wrong.
    I felt alright up until this morning, when I woke up, and had one of those awful, sudden morning attacks. I took 4 puffs of albuterol, hardly any relief. A 200 peak flow(red zone), so I did a Xopenex treatment.. didn't bring it up right away. However, an hour later, it was back up to 300. Then came the disgusting gobs of mucuos(sorry to be so gross!) in my throat & to cough up.. I seriously felt like I was choking at times b/c of all it. After all that, my peak flow went back up to 350 & I felt alright again. But 2 1/2 hrs later, my peak flows are falling again & my chest is tightening up again.
    It's been so long since I've had an attack like this!(since MARCH). My mom can't call the doctor(my dad will get really mad), & she says the Xopenex is all they will do for me at the hospital anyway. So i've got 2 try 2 fix this at home. So my question is.. i've heard of back 2 back nebs & doing them often(every 2 hrs).. are those ok 2 do at home? I have a prescription for prednisone.. 20 mg tablets.. should I fill that? Also.. what gets rid of all the mucuos? What can I do at home to ward off the doctor or the hospital? Thanks everyone..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2004, 12:16 PM   #2
    bluebanana
    Veteran
    (female)

bluebanana HB User
    Re: Asthma attacks~ when the meds don't do enough

Hi
    Get your mum to call your doctor. If you are struggling then you need medical advice. Don't leave it too late to get help. I'm sure your dad won't get cross, if your meds aren't working then you need help.
    Take care
    x xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Take care

Old 06-10-2004, 12:51 PM   #3
    jerrie97
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluebanana
    Hi
    Get your mum to call your doctor. If you are struggling then you need medical advice. Don't leave it too late to get help. I'm sure your dad won't get cross, if your meds aren't working then you need help.
    Take care
    x xx
    I agree. If your dad doesn't have asthma, he has no idea what it's like. Call the doctor today.

My doctor tells me that I can do three back-to-back Duoneb treatments if I need it. (You'd need to call yours though to make sure it's okay) After that, if I don't have relief, I use an Epi-Pen and call the doctor. Your mom is right though, all they'll do at the hospital is give you continuous neb treatments. They're equipped for other things too if the problem gets worse.

The mucus is tough to get rid of, I know that. Violent coughing to get rid of it is NOT the way to go, you can give yourself an attack that way. Some say guiafenesin (not sure if I spelled it right) is the way to go, but for me, it just makes the problem worse. I believe it works my drawing MORE fluid to the lungs to thin out the mucus already there. Within like five minutes of taking guifenesin, I start choking on mucus, it's horrible. Inhaling steam from a hot shower can sometimes help. You need to get the mucus up though, leaving it down there will cause an infection. Drinking A LOT of water will also help immensely. I'm talking a few bottles of water a day.

As for prednisone...leave that 'til later. If you've still got higher dosages of Advair, use them for a few weeks. If the problem gets worse or stays about the same tomorrow, fill the prednisone. But use it as a last resort.

Take care and feel better.

Last edited by jerrie97; 06-10-2004 at 03:06 PM.

Old 06-10-2004, 02:31 PM   #4
    Bella535
    Veteran

Bella535 HB User

I advise you go to the doc ASAP!! I recently had very bad athma attacks. 5 puffs wouldnt do it!! My doc told me to go the the emergency room but I refused because I had no insurance. It got so bad that one night I woke up and couldnt breath and I was scared to go back to sleep because maybe I wouldnt wake up!!

Asthma is nothing you should be playing with go see a doctor!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-10-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
    reader1
    Veteran

reader1 HB User

I don't understand why your mom won't call the doc. One can die from asthma if not treated properly. You need to know if you can do the back to back nebs and if you should fill your pred prescription (you probably should).

Please post and let us know how you are doing.

Steam from a hot shower should be helpful. Also, keep drinking plenty of water.

Old 06-10-2004, 07:24 PM   #6
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

My mom won't call the doctor b/c..well to make a very, very long story short.. he thinks I go in 2 much(well I am sick a lot from my allergies & asthma, about every month I have some kind of respiratory infection, which ultimately leads to some kind of flare up, be it asthma or allergies..) & he thought the insurance was going to drop us(which can't ever happen b/c there would be such a lawsuit) (also..if we were dropped.. it would be b/c of HIM and his recent TRIPLE BYPASS SURGERY, but that's beside the point). B/c of me going to the doctor a few weeks ago(had a real problem with acid reflux at the time, couldn't eat a single bite), he freaked out when I got home, told me he was taking me off of his insurance, taking my car, phone, computer, car insurance away.. it was one nasty fight. Ever since then we hide all calls from the doctor for me & my mom, and haven't gone in once.
    My mom says that at the hospital they will just give me neb treatments.. which is true.. and fine with me b/c I hate going there anyways but I just thought maybe we should at the very least have asked my doctor? the last time I had an attack like this, I was put on 60mg prednisone & told to do Xopenex treatments every 4 hours until I got better. I don't know, I did get kind of mad at my mom.. she was trying to have normal conversations with me while i'm trying to get air in(well actually, out). But what can you do in my situation from this morning? I don't want another fight like that with my dad=(.
    I've been able to space out my nebs(yipee!) since this morning from every 2 hours to every 5, though i'm still needing my albuterol inhaler in between. I only have one dose of Advair 500/50 left.. I will take that 2nite.. the only other thing I can think of here at home is Singulair.. supposed to take that if my asthma is getting bad. Maybe I should take it for a few days?
    I am gonna do like Rachel said & wait until tomorrow 2 see if I need pred. Doesn't the mucous mean the attack is over? Well, I would think I would only need pred if the attack is more of a flare up.. so if I wake up tomorrow like I did today, I will def start taking it. Just in case I do, how much should I take? 40 is usually enough, my doctor usually gives me 60 but 60 makes me real sick.
    One more thing.. I was thinking today I should ask for another higher Advair inhaler to have here in case of this again or a Flovent inhaler if I can ever get in to the doctor. Good idea?
    The thing with my parents is they really don't understand asthma, my mom doesn't have the slightest idea of what meds I take, why, what anything means or does, nothing. so this is why i'm on here all the time, taking care of myself. My dad even told me I am on my own to take care of myself.
    Thanks for the replies..you've all been a great help...=)

Old 06-11-2004, 10:56 AM   #7
    bluebanana
    Veteran
    (female)

bluebanana HB User

Firstly, self medicating like this is NOT the right way to treat asthma. You should get a written action plan which has been agreed with your doctors stating when to increase the dose of your meds and when to add the pred in and at what dose. It is not something which should be taken lightly, asthma can kill, if you are having a flare up then it needs to be controlled.
    Secondly, if you were needing 2 hourly nebs then you should have been in hospital, I know hospitals are pretty nasty places, but if your asthma was that unstable then you should be somewhere that they can treat you if you get any worse. There are lots of other treatments other than nebs which you may have needed, like IVs and oxygen.
    Don't mess around with your life!!!!!
    I would suggest that you get the action plan sorted soon, so that next time you will know exactly what to do and when to do it.
    Also, singulair takes roughly three weeks to start to have an effect, taking it for a few days will do nothing, it should be taken regularly for you to see an improvement.
    Hope you are feeling better now, and remember if your peak flow is less than 50% of your best then you should head to the ER, Take care
    x x x

Take care

Old 06-11-2004, 05:17 PM   #8
    reader1
    Veteran

reader1 HB User

Singulair is a preventative med. If your doctor has prescribed it you should take it daily for a good 6-8 weeks and decide if it is helping you. It works for many people but not all. It intervenes in the allergic process prior to attack time, so it has made a big difference for a lot of folks.

I usually start at 40mg pred - I weigh about 130 lbs. The first time I took pred I was 16 years old and weight 95lbs and started at 60mg. way too much.

Sweetheart, I'm sorry your dad is not supportive. If you all have a minister or other resource who could help you talk to your parents and see things through your eyes, that would be so good for you. In the meantime, find some good websites with good information about the meds you use and learn as much as you can and then try to help your mother understand your meds.

If your mother calls the doctor's office and tells them you are out of the Advair 500 and need another, they will probably call it in for you and you won't even have to go to the doctor.

If you are under age you should know that refusing to provide a sick child with proper medical treatment constitutes child abuse in many states. If you get to the point that you feel you are in danger, (and it sounds like you are just about there) you need to tell a teacher or another adult and get them to help you.

Old 06-11-2004, 06:14 PM   #9
    jerrie97
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blondee15
    My mom won't call the doctor b/c..well to make a very, very long story short.. he thinks I go in 2 much(well I am sick a lot from my allergies & asthma, about every month I have some kind of respiratory infection, which ultimately leads to some kind of flare up, be it asthma or allergies..) & he thought the insurance was going to drop us(which can't ever happen b/c there would be such a lawsuit) (also..if we were dropped.. it would be b/c of HIM and his recent TRIPLE BYPASS SURGERY, but that's beside the point). B/c of me going to the doctor a few weeks ago(had a real problem with acid reflux at the time, couldn't eat a single bite), he freaked out when I got home, told me he was taking me off of his insurance, taking my car, phone, computer, car insurance away.. it was one nasty fight. Ever since then we hide all calls from the doctor for me & my mom, and haven't gone in once.
    My mom says that at the hospital they will just give me neb treatments.. which is true.. and fine with me b/c I hate going there anyways but I just thought maybe we should at the very least have asked my doctor? the last time I had an attack like this, I was put on 60mg prednisone & told to do Xopenex treatments every 4 hours until I got better. I don't know, I did get kind of mad at my mom.. she was trying to have normal conversations with me while i'm trying to get air in(well actually, out). But what can you do in my situation from this morning? I don't want another fight like that with my dad=(.
    I've been able to space out my nebs(yipee!) since this morning from every 2 hours to every 5, though i'm still needing my albuterol inhaler in between. I only have one dose of Advair 500/50 left.. I will take that 2nite.. the only other thing I can think of here at home is Singulair.. supposed to take that if my asthma is getting bad. Maybe I should take it for a few days?
    I am gonna do like Rachel said & wait until tomorrow 2 see if I need pred. Doesn't the mucous mean the attack is over? Well, I would think I would only need pred if the attack is more of a flare up.. so if I wake up tomorrow like I did today, I will def start taking it. Just in case I do, how much should I take? 40 is usually enough, my doctor usually gives me 60 but 60 makes me real sick.
    One more thing.. I was thinking today I should ask for another higher Advair inhaler to have here in case of this again or a Flovent inhaler if I can ever get in to the doctor. Good idea?
    The thing with my parents is they really don't understand asthma, my mom doesn't have the slightest idea of what meds I take, why, what anything means or does, nothing. so this is why i'm on here all the time, taking care of myself. My dad even told me I am on my own to take care of myself.
    Thanks for the replies..you've all been a great help...=)
    How are you doing now?

Reader1 has a good post right above this one. Your parents need to be educated about asthma. Too many people are ignorant to the fact that asthma is life-threatening.

Don't you feel like you know so much more than your parents about asthma and stuff related to it? My mom is a nurse, but I swear she must never have come in contact with an asthma patient in her life.

The next time you go to your doctor, which should be SOON, you should ask for Flovent or Advair. Maybe Flovent - a lot of times they can just give you a Flovent right there in the office since they have samples (sometimes). That way you don't have to go and fill a prescription.

Regarding prednisone, try 40.

Mucus in asthma is generally part of the attack for most people. When the attack begins, the airways narrow and mucus further clogs them. The bronchi make the mucus to try and flush out whatever the trigger was (pollen, etc.)

Feel better!

Old 06-11-2004, 06:16 PM   #10
    cth
    (female)

cth HB User

If your attacks are that bad you cannot fool around! Call your MD and tell him what's going on. Ask him if you can do back to back nebs. and whether to fill the prednisone. If it gets that bad again you should not hesitate to go to the ER. cth

Old 06-12-2004, 10:12 AM   #11
    bluebanana
    Veteran
    (female)

bluebanana HB User

Hi
    Just wondering how you are doing now??? Are you feeling better??
    Hope you managed to get things sorted.
    Take care
    x x x

Take care

Old 06-12-2004, 04:29 PM   #12
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Aww yall are soo nice.. very glad to have found these boards!
    I am MUCH better today.. not back to normal(still needing a neb & albuterol when I wake up), my peak flows are low still, but the worst part is the mucuos now. After i've treated the morning attacks, the mucous makes me cough a lot & gets in my throat, making me sound all froggy until I think it's out or at least moving.
    The Singulair works pretty fast & really good for me, my peak flows are normally 350, but it can get me up to the green(400) usually on it. My doctor didn't think it was necessary though to keep me on it.
    If i'm still having morning attacks by Monday, will try to ask my mom about calling the doctor~ supposed 2 go back 2 the allergist for pft's this month, but, my mom didn't think it was important for me 2 see the allergist again unless my pcp tells me 2. Doesn't believe in "checkups". No matter how many times i've explained to her especially everything about asthma, of all the booklets, brochures, discussions we've had.. she knows nothing. A bit frustrating.. so i've given up. I just know what I have 2 do & do what I need 2 do.
    thanks for all the support.. sorry if i'm just rambling in some of these posts.. don't really talk about this 2 anyone & it's nice 2 talk about it when I know there are people who understand..=)

Old 06-13-2004, 11:01 AM   #13
    bluebanana
    Veteran
    (female)

bluebanana HB User

Glad to hear you are feeling a little better, make sure you do go to the doctors if you still feel bad on monday.
    Take care
    x x x

Take care

Closed Thread