It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Relationship Between Asthma and Heartrate?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
    smyrnaboy
    (male)

smyrnaboy HB User
    Relationship Between Asthma and Heartrate?

Can y'all please explain and offer you thoughts on this? My asthma has really been acting up lately. I live in Georgia and work in downtown Atlanta-a very volatile combination for an asthma sufferer (Georgia is world renowned as hell for allergy/asthma sufferers). It is not only hot and humid, but downtown Atlanta has horrible smog. Then I go home to a house in the woods/flowers (pollen, grass, tree allergens, etc.) with a dog and two cats.

My asthma has always been manageable by taking an antihistamine-if the allergies are managed, the asthma that is triggered is minimal. But I think the antihistamines are wearing off. My asthma is rarely coughing, but namely chest constriction, tightness, having to take deep breaths, with wheezing that gets worse as my other daily allergy symptoms worsen (runny nose, itchy eyes, sneezing). Lately, I've had to take two over the county benadryl to breathe and settle down to sleep.

And, per my question in the subject line above, I've noticed my heartrate increasing, due probably to having to breath harder, and also due to any given the difficulty in breathing (normal resting heartrate is 68-72; it hits 90-100 when I begin to walk around or walk up the stairs due to the above symptoms; then a minute or two later, it's back down to 80 or less).

I'm a 31 male, not overweight, don't smoke, and have no heart problems.

Sorry for the background info-thanks-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
    Midget
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Midget HB User
    Re: Relationship Between Asthma and Heartrate?

Hi - And Welcome to the Boards! You'll find some really knowledge peopel here! When you notice your heart rate go up, have you recently used your rescue inhaler (i.e. Albuterol)? That makes me heart race a little sometimes. Also, maybe your just getting nervous because of the symptoms, and because of that your heart beats faster?

Old 06-10-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
    smyrnaboy
    (male)

smyrnaboy HB User

I don't have an inhaler. As my asthma was diagnosed in April 2000 as allergy-induced asthma, as was prescribed Allegra at the time and albuterol when I needed an inhaler. Once I started taking Allegra, the allergies were contained, and the asthma disappeared, thus no need for an inhaler.

Since then I have been on over the counter Claritin, which used to stop severe enough allergic reactions to prevent any asthma, but this Spring, it just has not worked well. Now my asthma is creeping back.

And I forgot to mention two other details in my original post above-(1) my nose is always stopped up-in particular the left nostril-so I am always breathing through my mouth-and (2) when I exercise, my asthma actually minimizes and I breathe better.

Last edited by smyrnaboy; 06-10-2005 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Date Correction

Old 06-10-2005, 01:27 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Sounds like you need to go back to the Allegra and see about an inhaler. This spring has been especially bad ( and I'm over here in B'ham getting the same crap as Atlanta)
    for allergies and that's probably what's triggering all this.

Old 06-11-2005, 03:44 AM   #5
    alleysmom
    (female)

alleysmom HB User

Well, I'm a Georgia girl and my daughter's asthma and allergies are pretty bad. We only travel to Atlanta for her doctor's appointments though. From what I have learned about my daughter's asthma is that her heartrate goes up when she has trouble breathing and when she takes her nebulizer or inhaler. Georgia is one of the worst states, huh? I might need to look into moving!

Old 06-11-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
    steph1pk
    (female)

steph1pk HB User

My heartrate increases when my breathing is bad. My resting heartrate is higher, and after climbing stairs or other minor exertions, my heart sometimes races. My resting heartrate seems too high in general. It bothers me a lot. I don't like using Albuterol because it makes my heart race even more. I had started on Advair, but that also made my heart race quite a bit. Its bad enough as it is. But apparently, there is definately a correlation between respiration and heart rate. When you aren't getting enough oxygen due to the asthma, your heart has to work harder. Its very frustrating.

Last edited by steph1pk; 06-11-2005 at 02:46 PM.

Old 06-11-2005, 02:48 PM   #7
    steph1pk
    (female)

steph1pk HB User

...and by the way - I am 36 years old and a non-smoker. I thought I was in relatively good shape, but I haven't exercised consistently in awhile.

Closed Thread