It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Excessive Mucus Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
    Deana Lisi
    (female)

Deana Lisi HB User
    Excessive Mucus Question

Hi! I'm 27 and have been taking Advair (the 250) since October, after being unable to breathe right for like 8 years. I don't have the 'classic' asthma; I never suffer sudden attacks, my problem was caused by any kind of exertion--even if it was simply getting out of bed!--I'd be so breathless all the time that I would get dizzy and my lips and hands would tingle from lack of oxygen!

Anyway, the Advair has literally saved my life! My question is this: I call myself the 'phelgm fountain', because I have so much of it that it drives me nuts! I constantly have to clear my throat and cough, and I wake up in the morning practically drowning. I'd stopped drinking milk, (which was VERY hard to do!) and it got better, but I've been drinking it again for the past month or two and am again drowning! I've heard it said that milk causing mucus is a myth, but it's obviously truth, for me, anyway! Does anyone know of anything that one can do to reduce mucus? I sing, (which I could never do if I didn't have the Advair!) but since I started drinking milk again, I have to clear my throat in the middle of singing because it messes up my voice!

Deana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User
    Re: Excessive Mucus Question

You sound a lot like me. My asthma isn't typical either. I really questioned the "asthma" diagnosis at one time, thinking surely I have some horrible lung disease. All I knew of asthma was that you have an attack, use an inhaler and you are normal. Well, my small airways stay at about 50% of normal. However, I can function normally. I even jog! Anyway, back to the mucus. I used to have more mucus than I do now. The Advair help that for me. I have a big problem though when I get sick, I can cough up tremendous amounts of mucus. I use Mucinex (over the counter). It doesn't cut it out completely, but helps a lot. You are obviously allergic to milk. I like milk, also, but I think if it bothered me that much, I wouldn't have any problem doing away with it. I have allergies also, but not to milk, and have recently started irrigating my sinuses. It makes a lot of gunk come out and really clears the passageways. I have been told it helps with postnasal drip. Is your mucus mainly from your lungs or your nose or both? The irrigation could help in both cases. Hope this helps some!

Old 07-23-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
    Deana Lisi
    (female)

Deana Lisi HB User
    Re: Excessive Mucus Question

Allergic to milk?! Wow, that's the LAST thing I ever thought of! Before I stopped drinking it, I constantly drank an entire gallon in literally 2 days! I don't drink that much NOW, but...allergic to milk...wow. It doesn't give me any other effects other than the excessive mucus, and I have no idea if it's mostly from my lungs. I know that I DO have some post-nasal drip, but PSD drips into the throat, right, not the airways? So if it was PSD, it would go down when I swallow, right? As I type at this moment, I swallow and feel it not going down, which means it's in my airway, I assume. I try to cough it up, but NEVER succeed. The furthest I can get it up is into my throat so I can swallow it. I can literally count how many times I've been able to cough it up far enough to spit it out!

I'm glad that the Advair has worked for you too. My allergies are to dust, dust mites, and tree pollen. I don't think I was tested for foods, therefore milk never came into the equation...I'll look into the OTC stuff. Anyone else know of any ways of reducing mucus?

Last edited by Deana Lisi; 07-23-2005 at 08:41 PM.

Closed Thread