It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• GERD and asthma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2005, 05:24 AM   #1
    viablex1
    (male)

viablex1 HB User
    GERD and asthma

Just wanted to check in my recent experience. I kept getting attacks with what I thought was asthma. I told each doctor that I had GERD. Eventually a real doctor not a nurse practicioner examined me and said the symptoms did not sound like classic asthma. He put me on nexium in addition to the pepcid I was taking. 3 weeks later that is about now I am off all inhalers and can breath pretty good as long as I do not drink coffee. So my suggestion is if you have gerd make sure that it is adequately controlled.

thanks
    viablex1

also this presentation is interesting. I hope everyone can benefit some from this.

[url]http://www.baylorcme.org/reflux/cmeinfo.cfm?talk_pk=1&cme_activityid=105 &cmepage=presentations[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User
    Re: GERD and asthma

I have been wondering.... When you have asthma like symptoms with your GERD, exactly what are the symptoms like? I was diagnosed with asthma a few years ago, but mine is not typical either. I don't wheeze, cough (unless I'm sick), have typical asthma attacks. I just have some shortness of breath at times. However, I noticed an increase in my heartburn symptoms with my last pregnancy and I have had a problem with that off and on for years. Sometimes it is pretty bad. I was on Nexium for awhile and got off of it. Maybe I should get on it again and stay on it for awhile and see how my lung function test is after that.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:19 AM   #3
    Johna
    Veteran
    (female)

Johna HB User

Back in the 90's I developed GERD . In 2003, I was diagnoised with asthma. About a month ago I was informed that heartburn, acid reflux, GERD can all cause a person with asthma to have an asthma attack. I notice that when I take prilzec I have less asthma attacks. Guess everything works together.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:04 PM   #4
    viablex1
    (male)

viablex1 HB User

there is a definite connection between the esophagus and asthma like symptoms. what clued me in to the fact that it is gerd is the pattern of symptoms. I almost always got the attacks after I was lieing down or after I ate. My most salient symptom was shortness of breath and sinus symptoms.

You can also have silent reflux that can cause asthma like symptoms.

I would get checked out by a GI guy.

Matt

Last edited by viablex1; 08-19-2005 at 06:05 PM.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:58 PM   #5
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

I take Nexium, Claritin during the day and Singulair at night. They say that Nexium can take up to 6 weeks to start working so don't give up!!!

Old 10-07-2005, 06:04 AM   #6
    shelley49001
    (female)

shelley49001 HB User

I have had asthma my whole life and basically acid reflux too, I find that when I get indigestion, my asthma flares up too, once I get the indigestion taken care of and do an asthma treatment, I am fine, I know its weird for them to go hand in hand, but I know the difference between an asthma attack and GERD, its weird how the go along with each other, like the other day, I couldn't get my indigestion to go away for nothing, I was miserable, and then I started wheezing, so I sat down and did a treatment (nebulizer) and low and behold the indigestion went away!

Old 10-07-2005, 09:47 PM   #7
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

In 1992 I as diagnosed with mild asthma, I carried an inhaler everywhere I went just in case, but I never used it but once in over 10yrs. I did't have the classic asthma symptoms either just a mild shortness of breath
    that came and went and a cough. In the fall of 2003 I had a lung function test which showed serious lung capacity problem, my number was 62 and he said I was heading for big trouble as my last one in 1992 showed 76. I continued to have problems then in summer of 2004 I had my first bout of heartburn and nothing helped it, after 3 months I went to gastro dr and got all the tests which showed GERD put me on Nexium which after 6 weeks made it worse, then protonix for a few weeks and by Christmas I was on Prilosec which after 6 months and many drugs it helped the best and continues to this day. Jan of 2005 I had another lung function test(he wanted to keep tabs on the numbers) and my number was 73, it had improved greatly. So GERD can affect your lung function test results as well. I haven't had any asthma like symptoms since I've gotten my GERD under control. I would never have thought, I was basically a silent refluxer mostly a constant clearing of my throat which I attributed to sinuses so when it got bad enough it produced the classic heartburn which I never had before that time. Being 57 I knew my lung function test would diminish as I aged even tho I am an avid exercise buff but it scared me and then went I got it again I was relieved that it was back up where it should be in the normal range anyway.

Last edited by NancyH; 10-07-2005 at 09:51 PM.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User

Nancy,
    Do you know what numbers those were? Were they for the FEV1 - which are the large airways? I was diagnosed with asthma also with minimal symptoms (shortness of breath, never an attack). I do have some acid reflux, but doesn't seem that bad to me. But after reading your post, it can be bad and you don't know it. Anyway, my lung function tests show the small airways are around 50%, but my large airways are basically a low normal. I have hayfever and other allergies and always attributed my asthma to that. Now I am thinking it could be the acid reflux. I have been on the purple pill before but I quit taking it - maybe I should start back.

Old 10-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #9
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

I've had both the large and small airways function tests (both improved from the previous one)but I can only remember the one number, besides at my age some function will diminish. I would continue taking the pill, like I said I never dreamed I had GERD til I had what I knew as "classic heartburn" I didn't know that acid relux symptoms were more than heartburn, and that some people like me never got the burn but other things til it got a whole lot worse. All those years of constant clearing my throat and coughing and slight shortness of breath was acid relux not the sinuses or anything else. Since taking my prilosec I don't clear my throat, cough or have shortness of breath like I use to. I do have some moments but it is usually when I've not taken the pill for a day or so. I have a tendency to slack off when I'm feeling good but I'm working on it. Hey, I use to boast about how I could eat anything and never get heartburn, till I found out I had it all along but not the classic symptom most people think of. If I were you I'd start taking your purple pill and stick with it, see if the symptoms get less, it isn't a cure all but you will see a difference. I had to try several different drugs to find one that worked for me and it was over the counter prilosec. Nexium actually increased my symptoms seriously and if you feel that, then ask for a different one. It can take up to 3 weeks for some of them to work. Believe me it improved my quality of life when I found out that gerd was responsible for 80% of my discomfort for so many years.

Last edited by NancyH; 10-08-2005 at 08:17 PM.

Old 10-09-2005, 07:14 AM   #10
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User

Thank you for all of your advice. I started on the Nexium again this morning. I'm pretty sure that it helped me in the past. I also was on another prescription a couple of years ago (it started with an R, is all I can remember). But when I had a lung function test after taking it for one month, my numbers were about normal. So maybe I should ask my doctor about that one again. I am like you, if I start feeling good, I tend to slack off on the meds simply because I hate taking them. I know if I could lose some weight it would really help my reflux. I have lost about 10 lbs. or so and am still trying. Thanks again!

Old 10-11-2005, 01:50 PM   #11
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Somewhere I heard that asthma symptoms were 95% triggered by something else such as GERD, allergies, etc...yes, you are right, if you keep your acid reflux and allergies under control, you will find that you won't be using your asthma meds as much. I have had asthma for over 30 years and always saw an asthma dr, then I decided to get my gerd and allergies under control and I do breathe ALOT easier!!!

Closed Thread