It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• is asthma the same thing as allergies/viceversa

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2005, 07:22 PM   #1
    wvpumpkin
    (female)

wvpumpkin HB User
    is asthma the same thing as allergies/viceversa

My son has allergies, but seems to have asthma attacks. What is the difference. Are there different meds for asthma than allergies

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2005, 07:41 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: is asthma the same thing as allergies/viceversa

They are different...but allergens can trigger asthma attacks. The meds are vastly different. I have both and I take an antihistamine for the allergies and use a steroid inhaler for the asthma. He should probably be seeing an immunologist or allergist for the allergies and a pulmonologist for the asthma...or all in one if you can find. I see an immunologist for both....good luck!

Old 09-29-2005, 02:50 AM   #3
    smc612
    (male)

smc612 HB User

my PCP takes care of both. i do see an ENT 3x's a year. i take zyrtec for allergies and singilair for my asthma. i also carry an inhaler with me at all times. the singulair i think is great. only need my inhaler once or twice a year.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:41 AM   #4
    wvpumpkin
    (female)

wvpumpkin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smc612
    my PCP takes care of both. i do see an ENT 3x's a year. i take zyrtec for allergies and singilair for my asthma. i also carry an inhaler with me at all times. the singulair i think is great. only need my inhaler once or twice a year.
    So do you have to take zyrtec year round. That is what they put my son on. Just wondering if it is seasonal. What were your symptoms of asthma. He doesn't wheeze, but he snore some. He says he feels like he can't get a good breath, and takes long deep breaths alot. His ped says allergies, but I am scared it might be asthma too. Sorry so many questions.

Old 09-29-2005, 04:13 PM   #5
    WhiteLight
    Inactive
    (female)

WhiteLight HB User

Asthma is classed as a chronic respiratory disease. Allergies do affect asthma and can bring on asthma attacks or asthma related symptoms like coughing, tight-chest etc.

I havent heard of Zyrtec myself but if your son is on this medication for allregies then depending on his allregies and how they affect him, what times they affect him (eg all year, few weeks during summer etc), then this will boil down to how long he will need to be on Zyrtec.

Its possible your son may have asthma. Asthma varies from mild, severe and moderate. Allergies and whats the weather is like can affect asthma too. There is a test your son can have. Its called a allergy test. He will have tiny pinpricks on his skin and he will be watched to see if this causes redness, itching or any other symptoms. This allergy test is a MUST for Asthmatics. It really helps to let us know what we need to avoid whether its everyday dust, pets, hayfever etc.

I would take your son back to his doctor and have him explain how long he needs to be on the Zyrtec for. Also ask the doctor to test your son for Asthma. If he has got Asthma and allergies are causing it to flare up, the allergy test is advisable and the Asthma medication will help your son greatly. Take care!

Old 09-29-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
    wvpumpkin
    (female)

wvpumpkin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhiteLight
    Asthma is classed as a chronic respiratory disease. Allergies do affect asthma and can bring on asthma attacks or asthma related symptoms like coughing, tight-chest etc.

I havent heard of Zyrtec myself but if your son is on this medication for allregies then depending on his allregies and how they affect him, what times they affect him (eg all year, few weeks during summer etc), then this will boil down to how long he will need to be on Zyrtec.

Its possible your son may have asthma. Asthma varies from mild, severe and moderate. Allergies and whats the weather is like can affect asthma too. There is a test your son can have. Its called a allergy test. He will have tiny pinpricks on his skin and he will be watched to see if this causes redness, itching or any other symptoms. This allergy test is a MUST for Asthmatics. It really helps to let us know what we need to avoid whether its everyday dust, pets, hayfever etc.

I would take your son back to his doctor and have him explain how long he needs to be on the Zyrtec for. Also ask the doctor to test your son for Asthma. If he has got Asthma and allergies are causing it to flare up, the allergy test is advisable and the Asthma medication will help your son greatly. Take care!
    Thank you whitelight for that great post. I am going to have him sent for the test.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:31 PM   #7
    Johna
    Veteran
    (female)

Johna HB User

I have asthma but only alitte bit of allergies

Old 09-30-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
    WhiteLight
    Inactive
    (female)

WhiteLight HB User