It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Asthma flare up

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
    _mystiger_
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

_mystiger_ HB User
    Asthma flare up

Hey everyone. For the last week I've been having really bad Asthma attacks more than twice a day. There so bad I wheeze continously and cant breathe or speak properly, so I use my Nebuliser and this makes me cough up phelgm. I only cough up phelgm when I'm using my blue inhaler or nebuliser. I only use nebuliser when I'm desperate.

I'm not stressed out or anything but I have been getting a rapid heartbeat, hot flushes, Asthma flare up, stabbing chest pains that go down my left arm, tiredness and dizzy spells. (I fainted twice on tuesday).

I've also noticed that instead of wheezing sometimes I go straight to gasping for breath. Or; I get a tightness in my chest which feels not like the begining of a Asthma attack but the feeling you get during a Asthma attack. The tightness, rawness feeling. Its the only way I can explain it. I do have bad Asthma and I was diagnosed with Bronchil Asthma a few years back which flares up during the Winter then I'm fine for the rest of the year. But lately, this is starting to scare me. My dad had bad Asthma too and this developed into severe Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Emphesemia which he died from so I hope you can understand why I'm so scared about this. The attacks I'm having are not normal for me or for Asthma. I've had Asthma for 12 years, since I was a little girl and I'm on Singulair 10mg, Seretide 250, Ventolin 200 and Beclazone 250. I take this regularaly without missing any doses but there not working anymore. I'm 20 and the attacks are so bad, I could get admitted to hospital. I avoid hospital and doctors like the plague. I do smoke but only 5 a day and I'm cutting this back daily so I can quit.

What does this sound like? It isn't Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease is it? Sorry, I'm just terrified of getting Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.What should I do about this Asthma flare up and what can I take to relive the symptoms?

Last edited by _mystiger_; 05-21-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2006, 05:54 AM   #2
    Jovach51
    (female)

Jovach51 HB User
    Re: Asthma flare up

Mystictiger, I hate to say this, but you do need to go see a doctor. It really sounds like something else may be going on. Each severe asthma attack also takes a toll on the heart, because it has to work harder.

Please go to the ER if you have another attack. I hate going to ER myself, but when I first found out I had asthma in my early 30's, I thought too I could just wait it out. Boy was I wrong, the last major attack I had, I almost waited too long to get to the ER, and the nurse told me that I had already started to turn blue. I have a congential heart murmur, so now I never wait if I can't stop an asthma attack on my own.

Take care.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:57 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It may be something as simple as adjusting your dosages - especially if any allergens trigger your attacks. You need to see your doctor. don't put any more strain on your heart and lungs by putting this off. Take care...

Old 05-22-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
    _mystiger_
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

_mystiger_ HB User

Hi everyone and thanks for both of your replies. I'm taking allergy medication which is working so I dont think its my allergies as this has been gradually getting worse for about a week now. I couldn't get a appt to see doctor today but Im getting one early tomorrow morning. Thank you both for your help and I hope your both well.

Closed Thread