It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Taking Advair and Singulair?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
    george85
    (female)

george85 HB User
    Question Taking Advair and Singulair?

My brother-in-law was recently hospitalized twice in one week. He was having bad acid reflux, a stomach virus, and on top of that had a bad asthma attack. So he was taken to the hospital and put on oxygen. He came home for about 24 hours, but was taken back after all his symptoms worsened (mainly his asthma).

He's been put on Advair along with Singulair. Have any of you been on both of these? Have you had any adverse reactions? What's your overall experience?

If he remains on these without any problems for a week, he's also going to be given Prevacid. If you have any personal experience taking this medicine while on one or both Advair and Singulair, I'd be much appreciated. Anything you could tel me about any of these medicines would be great.

Also, has anyone had night sweats because of these medicines? He's always had light night sweats. But recently they've been a lot worse.

I know that not everyone has the same experiences with medications, but they have a baby on the way and would like to know any possible side effects and especially long term side effects.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2006, 10:41 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Taking Advair and Singulair?

I too have both asthma and acid reflux problems. I have been taking both Advair and Singulair together for about 2-3 years now. The first year, I took Advair 100/50 then 250/50. A bit over a year ago, I was bumped up to the 500/50 dose of Advair. For asthma, the Singulair should be taken in the evening. I also use the Albuterol inhaler as necessary. They have been very helpful in keeping my asthma under control. I do continue to have some difficulty during the cold winter inversions and red air days though.

For the acid, I was taking Protonix 1x/day for about 1 1/2 years but it didn't help much. About 8 months ago I started taking Prevacid Solutabs 2x/day. Almost immediately my cough went away.

My primary symptom for both the asthma and acid is a chronic cough. When one is flaring up, it often also aggrevates the other. It usually takes me awhile to get both under control at the same time.

With my current treatment including the Advair, Singualir and Prevacid, I have been basicaly cough free for 8 months now. I have gone for monthly check-ups for monitoring and my doctor is also pleased with the results.

I have had no side effects from these medications and my quality of life has been much improved.

I wish your brother-in-law success in finding good health.

Last edited by MountainReader; 12-07-2006 at 10:43 PM.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:32 AM   #3
    george85
    (female)

george85 HB User

That's much appreciated, I'll pass this info to him. Thanks!

Old 12-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I have several friends on both. And I was on Flovent and singulair at one time. The singulair didn;t do anything for me so we dropped it. Hope he gets sraightened out soon.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
    catdogfluff314
    (female)

catdogfluff314 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by george85
    My brother-in-law was recently hospitalized twice in one week. He was having bad acid reflux, a stomach virus, and on top of that had a bad asthma attack. So he was taken to the hospital and put on oxygen. He came home for about 24 hours, but was taken back after all his symptoms worsened (mainly his asthma).

He's been put on Advair along with Singulair. Have any of you been on both of these? Have you had any adverse reactions? What's your overall experience?

If he remains on these without any problems for a week, he's also going to be given Prevacid. If you have any personal experience taking this medicine while on one or both Advair and Singulair, I'd be much appreciated. Anything you could tel me about any of these medicines would be great.

Also, has anyone had night sweats because of these medicines? He's always had light night sweats. But recently they've been a lot worse.

I know that not everyone has the same experiences with medications, but they have a baby on the way and would like to know any possible side effects and especially long term side effects.

Thank you.
    Cool So it works rily good? I don't know if I have asthma but I do know I have acid reflux problems.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
    Galaxy_Sug
    (female)

Galaxy_Sug HB User

I have acid reflux and asthma. Currently I am not on any inhalers, but I do take Protonix, singulair and zyrtec which all help most of the time. In the beginning I had bad leg cramps from one of the drugs but has since subsided. Hope the best for him!

Closed Thread