HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Asthma (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/asthma/)
-   -   Help! Coping with Winter Inversions (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/asthma/460190-help-coping-winter-inversions.html)

MountainReader 01-06-2007 07:38 PM

Help! Coping with Winter Inversions

I have had asthma since December 2001. It took several years, but I finally found a medicine combination of Singulair, Advair 500/50 and Alubterol that was working. I only needed to use my Albuterol a couple times from last April to the end of December.

On New Year's eve, my chronic cough returned with a vengance. We have had very cold weather and an inversion the last couple weeks. I have been trying to avoid going outdoors as much as possible and wearing a scarf when I do go out, but the air quality is just horrible. I have been using the Albuterol 4-6 times per day.

Anyone out there have any suggestions to help me get through the rest of the winter?

ILiveForMyKIDS 01-07-2007 12:02 AM

Re: Help! Coping with Winter Inversions

Sounds like your doctor has you on a very good regimen. 500/50 is the strongest Advair. Have you talked to your doctor about this? I think what your doing given the circumstances is about all you can really do. There are some other cortiosteriods, such as predneson. The problem is that drug is systemic, effecting the entire body, leading to more and more side effects. If your worried you might not be able to breath, you could ask your doctor for an Epinephrine pen. Its usually used for sever allergic reactions such as bee stinks, but it will save your life if your having a horrible asmtha attack.
Something I've realized with the MDI's is that the more you use them, the more you seem to need them. Maybe it just happens with me. Good Luck.

Titchou 01-07-2007 08:43 AM

You might also talk to your doctor about upping the number of puffs you take a day of the Advair. I'm on FLovent and when I have problems due to weather issues, I just add another puff a day to the regimen. Once the weather goes back to normal, I drop that extra puff. Works for me.

Buffalo Mom 01-07-2007 06:00 PM

[QUOTE=MountainReader]I have had asthma since December 2001. It took several years, but I finally found a medicine combination of Singulair, Advair 500/50 and Alubterol that was working. I only needed to use my Albuterol a couple times from last April to the end of December.

On New Year's eve, my chronic cough returned with a vengance. We have had very cold weather and an inversion the last couple weeks. I have been trying to avoid going outdoors as much as possible and wearing a scarf when I do go out, but the air quality is just horrible. I have been using the Albuterol 4-6 times per day.

Anyone out there have any suggestions to help me get through the rest of the winter?[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't self medicate for asthma, I have terrible asthma and after a cold or the flu I get real bad. I mean REAL bad.......... the cold harsh winter air REALLY sets me off to the point of gasping and hoping I make it to the car.

One thing we DID find to help was Zyrtec in the morning, and Singulair at night. with this I have a almost normal life which was once life threatening.

She also started me back on the Flovent...... 220 dose (2 puffs 2 times a day) research this.... it's a much better way to use an inhaled steroid that works only in the lungs than taking the prednisone pills that go through the entire system.

When I do have bad spells with sinus infections that trigger asthma the doc puts me on prednisone tabs of 30 mg a day for 3 days then 20mg a day for 3 days then 10mg for 3 days......... This is only as a last resort...... one thing...... use your meds as prescribed.. .... if they aren't working as they are supposed to then something needs to be adjusted.. I carry an albuterol inhaler that I have to use rarely in situational times (cold air)..... but when things are "normal" I don't use it for months at a time.....

I kept avoiding the Flovent inhaler and if I had used it 2 times a day as my lungs required, I wouldn't have had these spells....... Let your doc know if it's not working, ...... question him about Zyrtec..... nothing else works for me and I've tried them all.

MountainReader 01-07-2007 08:24 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. In addition to the Advair 500/50, Singulair and Albuterol for the asthma, I am also taking Allegra, Flonase and Astelin for my allergies. I know my indoor allergies (particularly molds) kick up this time of year also.

chrisitine 01-09-2007 10:53 AM

To MountainReader

The only thing I can think of is to get an actionplan from your doctor outlining what to do if your asthma gets worse such as taking extra flovent. Prednisone is another option but like someone already mentioned it goes through your whole body not just to your lungs. There is also Xolair which is usually for allergic asthma so maybe check with your doctor. Good Luck and stay well.