It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Severe asthma - Unconventional Treatment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
    miaraw84
    (female)

miaraw84 HB User
    Unhappy Severe asthma - Unconventional Treatment

Hi
    I have had severe asthma since infancy, but the past 1.5 years it has gotten much worse. I am on every asthma medication available, including at least 40 mg of prednisone a day, xolair, and ivig.
    my docs are now suggesting trying more aggresive treatments, as my pft's are slowly drifting down and begining to become irreversible.
    they are suggesting cellcept, and antirejection drug, or even methotrexate, a type of chemotherapy.
    has anyone heard of this type of treatment, and whether or not its very effective? had any side effect of it?
    i've read a lot of clinical studies, but they just talk abouit the results, not what they patients felt or went through during treatment.
    any advice anyone has for me would be great.
    thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
    moteacher
    (female)

moteacher HB User
    Re: Severe asthma - Unconventional Treatment

Oh my, we could be twins. You are exactly where I am. My asthma is still uncontrolled even though I am on about 8 medications. The only thing that will control any of my asthm is prednisone which my doctor wants me off. He is considering both of your two options. He sent me to a pulmonologist last moth to rule out any other lung problems (which they did). I believe he is leaning toward the cellcept.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
    gypsybird
    (female)

gypsybird HB User

Oh dear, I did several replies already to other posts-apologies to anyone who keeps hearing this from me, but I beg you to try diet modification if you haven't already before you do any kind of chemotherapy.
    I had severe asthma and used many meds daily-dr didn't know what else to do. I radically changed my diet and now I rarely use any meds at all.
    I don't know if you've already tried a change of diet but if you are interested I'm happy to tell more. Conventional doctors don't seem to believe in this for some reason and they never suggested it to me in all those years. In fact when I asked my doc about food allergy tests he laughed about it. But I got one anyway (a blood test-not a scratch test). Within several weeks all symptoms disappeared. I had wheezing, asthma attacks, poor lung function, acid reflux, post nasal drip, stuffy, runny nose, bronchitis, you name it. GB

Old 02-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
    miaraw84
    (female)

miaraw84 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Severe asthma - Unconventional Treatment

I have had food allergy testing, and have ommitted those foods (even that were jsut a 1-2 on the scale) out of my diet. Do you have any other suggestions? I would definately be interested in hearing!
    Miriam

Old 02-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
    iminarut
    (female)

iminarut HB User

Gypsybird I would love to hear your about your diet changes. Thanks!!

iminarut

Old 02-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
    Shirley M
    (female)

Shirley M HB User

I would like to hear what diet your on also,Please post and let us know.
    Thanks Shirley

Old 02-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #7
    Liamsmom
    Inactive
    (female)

Liamsmom HB User

Hi I clicked on the wrong board however my son has mild asthma never an attack yet (fingers crossed) he uses singulair, however I was on the autism board a read that one parent's child was having a terrible time with asthma and allergies and she started giving him a tsp of cod liver oil every day and he hasn't had an attack since.. just thought I'd pass it along

good luck & good health

Old 03-18-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
    gypsybird
    (female)

gypsybird HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shirley M View Post
    I would like to hear what diet your on also,Please post and let us know.
    Thanks Shirley
    Hey sorry for not responding before-lots of things going on with me lately.
    I hope you are still out there checking the board.
    What I did was get a food allergy test, it should be a blood test, not a scratch test. I believe its called IGg. Then I cut out foods that the test showed I was allergic to.
    Yes its that simple.
    If you can't get the blood test, its a fairly safe bet to start by eliminating wheat and dairy and nuts. Most asthmatics are allergic to dairy and wheat-these are the biggest offenders.
    Extra vitamin C is also extremely helpful. Many asthmatics also have a higher need for C. cheers GB

Closed Thread