It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Anyone else have cough variant asthma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
    dazedandconfused10
    Veteran
    (female)

dazedandconfused10 HB User
    Question Anyone else have cough variant asthma

I coughed non stop until I was put on advair. I pretty well controlled until I get even a little cold and it moves into my lungs. I just hack almost nonstop espcially later afternoon, evening and night. Of course its sunday and I called my pcp but the covering dr was acting like it was bronchitis, which I've had many times and called in an antibiotic. I'm not feeling worse just the cold has settled in my chest so I'm just coughing not stop. The only thing that seems to work is the guaifinessin (sp) and codeine and that has not always worked. Does anyone else sound like this, how do you get thru colds???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2007, 02:34 AM   #2
    chrisitine
    (female)

chrisitine HB User
    Re: Anyone else have cough variant asthma

Hi

I can relate to the coughing non-stop. I find when I get a cold it is much worse and sometimes it goes into my chest. I have been on so many antibiotics and prednisone that it has led to stomach problems. I find sometimes a hot drink or a bath in a steamed room sometimes helps. I also found making a pot of tea and inhaling that sometimes helps. I have allergies as well so I find that aggravates the asthma. Do you use inhalers or the nebules through the compressor? I find the nebules work better for me.
    Another suggestion is a coedine cough syrup. Good luck and I hope something works.

Karen

Old 02-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
    dazedandconfused10
    Veteran
    (female)

Christine you put much know my scenerio, I was so confused when the covering dr didn't seem to think I could have this bad a cough with a cold. I use advair, albuterol if I feel like I'm having troulbe breathing, I have a peak flow monitor but I was basically asking for the codeine cough syrup, she made me feel like a drug abuser! Geez I haven't needed the cough stuff for like 6 months!!

Old 02-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
    Johna
    Veteran
    (female)

Johna HB User

If I take anything with codenine in it I get a pretty rash . There is a cough syrup I have gotten at walmart and target...can't remember the name but it has a big 12 in the middle of the box. And the box is bright in color.
    I started getting a sinus infection which usually leads to a lung infection but it didn't because I started taking mucousness.....u know the add where the mucous monsters are painting the sinus green .
    Hope you feel better

Old 02-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

dazedandconfused,
    I too have cough variant asthma. I was diagnosed with it in January 2002, but I think I had it much longer and didn't know what it was. It took me until last April to get it pretty much under control. Unfortunately, every winter, with the cold polluted air that usually sets in I usually get a chronic sinus infection. Between the sinus problems and the cold nasty air, my asthma cough returns. It gets so bad I can't stop; I can't catch my breath; I pull muscles in my stomach and lower back; I sometimes feel like throwing up; and I was exhaused from coughing nonstop. This is what is currently working with me to control the asthma and lessen the severity of the cough:

Daily year-round: Advair 500/50, Singulair (for asthma), Allegra, Flonase, Astelin, Xlear nasal wash, Prevacid (the asthma attacks flair up my acid reflux also--my symptom for the acid problems is also a chronic cough), Albuterol as needed. (I went on the Singulair last year. When it was added to the Advair 500/50, it really made a difference.)

When I start getting congestion: Sudafed and Mucinex

When the sinus infections set in: several rounds of antibiotics and typically Prednisone

With this routine, I went almost 8 months this year without any coughing. This hasn't happened in YEARS.

My doctor won't give me codeine either. Even when I was coughing almost nonstop for FOUR months last year.

My cough started in again several weeks ago and the Prednisone pretty much stopped the cough in its tracks this time. (Unfortunately, I still can't shake the sinus infection.) I am not happy when I have to go on Prednisone because of the side effects, but my doctor monitors me closely and it is an extreme relief to me (and I am sure everyone around me) to be free of the coughing.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:16 AM   #6
    dazedandconfused10
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
    dazedandconfused,
    I too have cough variant asthma. I was diagnosed with it in January 2002, but I think I had it much longer and didn't know what it was. It took me until last April to get it pretty much under control. Unfortunately, every winter, with the cold polluted air that usually sets in I usually get a chronic sinus infection. Between the sinus problems and the cold nasty air, my asthma cough returns. It gets so bad I can't stop; I can't catch my breath; I pull muscles in my stomach and lower back; I sometimes feel like throwing up; and I was exhaused from coughing nonstop. This is what is currently working with me to control the asthma and lessen the severity of the cough:

Daily year-round: Advair 500/50, Singulair (for asthma), Allegra, Flonase, Astelin, Xlear nasal wash, Prevacid (the asthma attacks flair up my acid reflux also--my symptom for the acid problems is also a chronic cough), Albuterol as needed. (I went on the Singulair last year. When it was added to the Advair 500/50, it really made a difference.)

When I start getting congestion: Sudafed and Mucinex

When the sinus infections set in: several rounds of antibiotics and typically Prednisone

With this routine, I went almost 8 months this year without any coughing. This hasn't happened in YEARS.

My doctor won't give me codeine either. Even when I was coughing almost nonstop for FOUR months last year.

My cough started in again several weeks ago and the Prednisone pretty much stopped the cough in its tracks this time. (Unfortunately, I still can't shake the sinus infection.) I am not happy when I have to go on Prednisone because of the side effects, but my doctor monitors me closely and it is an extreme relief to me (and I am sure everyone around me) to be free of the coughing.
    See I don't usually get the sinus infection. Only once everything other time I've been checked I don't have one. I've taken prednisone before for back issues and the medicine made it hard for me to conentrate, I couldn't function at work. and I can't eat, everythign tastes gross it really doesn't agree with me. I guess I should ask about alternatives to the cough medicines but if I start it earlier when the coughing starts it helps loosen it up and moves it along and I get some rest. the pulmonologist gave me something call asthmanax to use with advair but I don't see any help from that. I too pull all the muscles in my chest and stomach, and sometimes I feel like. I have mucinex at home could try that. I resist taking antibiotics if I don't have too, if I have an infection I will but this covering dr didn't see me and wanted to put me on it. My son took so many antibiotics during a series of repeating ear infections and finally became resistant thats why I hesitate, last cold my peak flow really went down, this time I'm doing good. Maybe I should make a followup visit with my dr.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
    duzford
    Inactive
    (female)

duzford HB User

Accidentally found that NSAIDs work for me. I get the hack hack hack wheeze wheeze syndrome every winter after first cold. Went on NSAIDs (Aleve) two weeks ago for kidney stones and the hack disappeared. I too have done the prednisone route but was putting it off becuase I hate them when la la this happened and I feel so much better.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
    kassy
    (female)

kassy HB User

Been there done that.. and everything everyone else has listed. I am steroid resistant so all the prednisone and inhalers in the world don't do a thing.. My pulmonologist now refers to my cough as just my winter breathing.. it starts usually Oct and I cough until usually late april or may. Last winter I did chemo for 8 weeks in hoping to put my immune system into shut down mode.. it worked but by week 7 I was so sick I wanted my coughing back.. The only thing that we have found works is a bronchoscopy.. He never finds anything but the anesthesia and paralizing of the cough/gag reflex for a while is enough to break the cycle.. the cough usually stops within a week after the bronchoscopy.. we do maybe 3-4 a winter...

Last edited by kassy; 02-17-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
    dazedandconfused10
    Veteran
    (female)

kassy, I don't sound as extreme as you, I don't cough like this unless I get a cold. I do cough in the cold but as soon as I get inside it stops unless I'm sick. Its interesting how we can all sort of have the same thing but such different responses

Closed Thread