It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Non Medical Treatment For Asthma??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
    Texagrl
    (female)

Texagrl HB User
    Non Medical Treatment For Asthma??

i was never officially diagnosed with asthma 3 years ago i woke up and was having problems breathing..went to the dr he gave me albuterol inhaler used it for 3 years i had to use it everyday several times a day for 3 years then i was no longer under insurance and i still had my albuterol but it started affecting me very negativly causing upset stomach,tightness in the chest,extreme anxiety while this happened i took xanax to combat the anxiety and then felt worse on that after about 5 days...im almost positive my breathing problems are due to allergies.i bought an air purifier really hasnt made a huge difference..so as i stand right now i really prefer not using any medicines do to recent events im scared to use anything..i have xopenex inhaler now i was giving azmacort steroid and singulair but to scared to use any of these things due to side effects i might encounter.so im looking for alternative treatments to prevent breathing problems vitamins herbs and other products thanks alot

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
    innerstrength86
    (female)

innerstrength86 HB User
    Re: Non Medical Treatment For Asthma??

I don't know of any specific vitamins or herbs that could help, but maybe you'd find this interesting...
    My brother had an attack at my grandma's house when we were younger and didn't have his inhaler. She gave him black coffee (nothing added) and it worked. Since then, he carries a packet of instant coffee with him everywhere.
    I just found out I have asthma the other day, and when I told my brother, he said to stay away from all the drugs because he agrees too that they may make things worse.
    I'll get back to you if I find out anything else, because I'm interested as well.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
    innerstrength86
    (female)

innerstrength86 HB User

I just read a few more articles supporting the coffee idea - basically anything that increases heart rate can help.

I also read (don't know how scientifically true ANY of this is though...) that garlic is extremely helpful for alleviating allergies (and therefore asthma attacks). Garlic because it is a natural antibiotic. I found this interesting because I have grown up eating garlic at home, never had any problems, and now I'm on my own and don't cook with it often and have been having so many problems (but maybe that's coincidence too).

Also recommended is Vitamin C, and a strange combination of honey, apple cider vinegar and lemon...

Like I said, I'm not saying these are cures, and you should definitely keep your inhaler/meds with you.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:12 AM   #4
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User

I am on azmacort and xoponex for adult onset asthma as of a yr now. If I rinse my mouth out very quickly after using the azmacort I don't get yeast in mouth and it lessens the amount that is absorbed into the rest of the body from the azmacort that gets into the mouth area/absorbs into blood stream.
    In all honesty, I was resistant when this started too but if you really do have asthma you might want to give the azmacort a try cause the longer you go w/o treating asthma, the more lung function you lose. I went from 98% breathing capacity when this started (that was after a puff of albuterol) to now only having 2/3 breathing capacity in a YEAR due to my not treating it as soon as possible. I did kind of putz around with a few meds off and on at the start of this like with qvar (gave me tons of yeast in mouth), albuterol made me have anxiety (i'm anxiety prone anyway but wow this made it bad) so I was on and off stuff (more off than on). It scares the crap out of me to think I've lost one thrid of my ability to breathe! One 3rd..... How the heck???????????? And the day I had that lung function test done, I thought I was having a "good breathing day". I dunno how you all are but I for sure have days that are worse and days that I can call good just because I'm not starving for air, ya know? I did allergy testing and found i am now suddenly allergic to a ton of things I was not just 2 years ago! I'm even starting to become allergic to some medications I could once take such as erethromycin (spelling?), and benedryl of all things! I just had a benedryl about 7 months ago in pill form. 2 weeks ago I had benedryl 50mg shot which is a lot, but still..... I had a terrible reaction to it! I'm not sure if they almost over-dosed me and just made it out to be an allergic reaction or what. It's just hard to believe when I JUST had benedryl not too long ago. Unreal. Any who.... Sorry to blab on like this. I just thought I'd let you know, I'm an average person, early 30's, female, non smoker (as of 1 yr now), no drugs and once or twice a "year" drinker.... I stnd by the azmacort.. At least what it's done for me anyway. It took about a full week for me to notice a good difference... Then about a month and I could get out/be more active... Then around the 2 month mark I was breathing like a dream again..... I hear it would only take 2 to 4 weeks to fully work but for some reason it took me about 8 weeks. I have since switch to albuterol inhaler (due to anxiety) and have no jitters with it at all because it doesn't have the other ingredient that albuterol has (the one that's not needed for asthma and is the cause of the jitters/fast heart/etc).
    Just a heads up on allergy meds..... I tried clarinex-d and it caused me to have fast heart beats after 2 weeks on it which were similar to anxiety/allllmost panicy type so I went off it. Singulair, gave me tinitis (LOAD ringing in ears & also bouts of agression, rage... It was horrible. Other than that I felt pretty good.. lol... But who the heck could stand me!? I couldn't even stand me! So I went off thsoe and am now on allegra which for some gives back pain. I have not had that yet. It's been pretty good over all. I also had gerd (which when my asthma 1st started was getting into my lungs when i'd sleep and cause verrrry bad asthma. I took nexium for a few weeks. After a couple weeks on it, it gave me TERRRRRIBLE anxiety (anxiety sufferers -RUN 4 the hillz from that 1!). I ended up switching to prevacid and it was great. Only needed 2 months of it and my gerd went away about 90%. I can live with that.
    On the bad days though..... Even azmacort can only do so much. My mucous seems to get out of control on bad days and at time I had very bad nasal congestion. I take generic mucinex (it comes in 400mg but I take 600mg's by breakin one in 1/2), every 4 hrs as needed. The generic mucinex also comes plain or with phenylephryn (spelling?) -a nasal decongestant added. I can't take them regularly due to anxiety & heart issues. Careful with phenelephryn tho... It can raise blood pressure. That onyl happened to me mildly after taking it 2 days in a row every 4 hrs. I only ever take it as needed. I sooooooooooooo hope you ALL find relief, relaxation & compassion! This is tough stuff........
    Take care of yourself.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:08 AM   #5
    innerstrength86
    (female)

innerstrength86 HB User

Darn...I was interested in reading what you're taking and it's blocked out! grrrr. oh well. Good to hear you found something!

Closed Thread