It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Advair Side Effects -?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
    Gabby2007
    (female)

Gabby2007 HB User
    Advair Side Effects -?

I've been using Advair 250/50 for about a month. 2 puffs morning and night. It seems to be *mostly* controlling my breathing problems - I still cough and my chest gets tight sometimes, but it's tolerable. I go to see a new lung doc in a few days....anyway, I have been having increased tightness in my throat since I started Advair. At first I thought it was an allergic reaction to something, but I couldn't find a pattern, and benedryl didn't help. It seemed to happen more at night, but it has increased to nearly constant feeling of being strangled. I can breathe okay if I remind myself to relax and not fight it. But the strangling sensation doesn't go away. I'm not under stress, so I can't imagine this being a panic attack type of thing. Could it be related to Advair? My voice doesn't seem impacted by this...any ideas? Since it's only two days until the lung doc appt, I don't want to go in early - and I am breathing okay.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabby2007 For This Useful Post:
    indigestion79 (03-30-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User
    Re: Advair Side Effects -?

Advair is a great drug for asthma - it really opens up the airways and controlls the inflammation. But I have used it for about 4 years now and I have to wonder about the side affects. I noticed when I used it every day, my joints seemed to ache more often. I have gained weight since using it. Most doctors will deny these side affects, but I have to wonder. With all the other drugs that doctors have not been outspoken about and then we find out later that they cause DEATH! I still use Advair, but only when I need it. I use it on the average of 3 times a week. It works with me, but I wouldn't tell someone to reduce their dosage unless they seek out a health professional first.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
    Gabby2007
    (female)

Gabby2007 HB User

Thanks. I discontinued it before the doc appt - went back to Flovent, with the idea that I'd rather have a tight chest than be strangled by Advair....the doc said it was fine for me to have done that - that he's had other patients report the same thing. Since I am undiagnosed - have an "asthma like condition", I have no established treatment plan; the docs are still testing and trying different drugs, trying to get my breathing stabilized.

I have gained weight since using Advair - not sure if it's related to the drug or not - I hope so, now that I'm done using it.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
    Adidas0298
    (male)

Adidas0298 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Howitt44 View Post
    Advair is a great drug for asthma - it really opens up the airways and controlls the inflammation. But I have used it for about 4 years now and I have to wonder about the side affects. I noticed when I used it every day, my joints seemed to ache more often. I have gained weight since using it. Most doctors will deny these side affects, but I have to wonder. With all the other drugs that doctors have not been outspoken about and then we find out later that they cause DEATH! I still use Advair, but only when I need it. I use it on the average of 3 times a week. It works with me, but I wouldn't tell someone to reduce their dosage unless they seek out a health professional first.

Wow, this post could've been mirrored exactly by what I was about to post...lol.

Ive been on advair 250 for about 4 years. I noticed achy joints (im only 27, slim build, male) and about 5lbs weight gain right when I started using it. I have COPD, ive never ever even had an asthma attack. When I stop taking Advair, I dont wheeze or cough but my chest gets tight. I dont even consider that textbook "asthma" but Advair is the only thing that works as good.
    I wonder about the "long term" effects of it though, I mean isnt it a steroid? That cant be good long-term. I only take it 1x a day (at night) vs. the 2x a day that the DR wants me to. When I told him my concerns about the long term effects and only taking it 1x a day - he was alright with it. I mean my breathing test is up to about 98% (from 54%) so I believe 1x a day is my sweet spot for Advair. Oh, the DR had me on Advair 500 at first and it was way too strong- made me lightheaded, dry cough.. it was too much.

Last edited by Adidas0298; 06-17-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:32 PM   #5
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User

You are so young to have COPD! I always thought that was a result from years and years of smoking. I guess asthma and COPD are closely related, though. I'm just curious because even though the doctors have told me I have asthma, my lung function doesn't budge much even using the Advair. I get scared that COPD is really a better diagnosis for me, even though I hate to admit it. I have never smoked, but have bad allergies. I am really interested in hearing your story.
    Cindy

Closed Thread