It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Inhaled corticosteroids and bruising

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User
    Inhaled corticosteroids and bruising

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone here using Advair or other inhaled corticosteroids have the unusual side effect of "easy bruising"? I've been on Advair ever since it hit the market years ago. I've always had the tendency to bruise easily, so it never occurred to me that there could be a connection...until now. My bruising seems to have gotten excessive lately. After doing a Google search on "excessive bruising"...one of the hits for it was a study that was done on the effects of inhaled corticosteroids and easy bruising. The study found that those using the meds are more likely to bruise...especially women. Makes me wonder if the Advair I've been taking is to blame for my excessive bruising. Anyone else experience this?

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
    acprivra
    (female)

acprivra HB User
    Re: Inhaled corticosteroids and bruising

Now that you mention it . . . I guess I thought I was always an easy bruiser (that and I bump into things quite often), but since starting Advair a few years ago, I have noticed that it has gotten a bit worse. Have you read anything about this bruising being a long-term health problem, or mostly just the inconvenience of having sore and noticeable bruises?
    Andrea

Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acprivra View Post
    Now that you mention it . . . I guess I thought I was always an easy bruiser (that and I bump into things quite often), but since starting Advair a few years ago, I have noticed that it has gotten a bit worse. Have you read anything about this bruising being a long-term health problem, or mostly just the inconvenience of having sore and noticeable bruises?
    Andrea
    I haven't really found any further information indicating that the excessive bruising would pose any adverse long-term problems, aside from the fact they sure are ugly...and that I sometimes get weird looks from people who probably think I'm some sort of victim of abuse... Basically, from what I've read...any kind of long-term use of corticosteriods may cause thinning of the skin...which in turn, may cause a person to bruise more easily. I plan on seeing my doctor to have some bloodwork done, just to rule out anything else.

Linda

Old 03-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
    acprivra
    (female)

acprivra HB User

Alright, no worries then, I guess Thanks for the info.

Closed Thread