It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Vitamin C

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
branfeld
(male)

branfeld HB Userbranfeld HB User
Vitamin C

So I've always been told to eat more citrus in the winter to help with my asthma because the vitamin c is good for you. I've also heard about consuming crazy amounts of vitamin c to "cure your asthma." Does anyone know about this? I was googling this and found an article at< edited > about consuming up to 50g of it a day. That just sounds kind of crazy.

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 02-14-2011 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Please do not post unapproved website links- Posting Policy. (Some "Approved" websites in "Resources" tab- bottom screen)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Vitamin C

Yep. That's crazy. It'll also cause kidney damage, please don't do it.

When people who are deficient or low in vitamin C (or D, or magnesium) get more of it, they may see improvement in asthma symptoms. And it's possible that some individuals need more than the RDA, for one reason or another. But no one needs 50 grams. (?!?!?!)

If your Vitamin C intake is very low, you get sick and die. If your intake is barely adequate, your health will be less than optimal. But once your body has an ample amount of a particular nutrient, more is not useful. "Insane megadoses of Vitamin C is good!" It's a common Internet myth that's been repeated so many times it's becoming credible, but it's still not true.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
branfeld
(male)

branfeld HB Userbranfeld HB User

Yeah, glad someone else agrees with me here. I think nutritional health is important, but not insane amounts of supplemental vitamins.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I did read a study that correlated asthma severity with low D levels. There is also evidence that low magnesium can worsen asthma by contributing to spasms in the lungs. (Muscles need magnesium to relax).

But again, just use supplements to get your levels into the optimum range. Overdose can be toxic, especially for D, which is a fat-soluble vitamin. (The body has a hard time excreting the fat-soluble vitamins A, D and E, which means they are the easiest to overdose on.)

Right now, I am taking a mineral supplement with D, because I have a bone injury and because it's late winter, which is when people's D levels are lowest.

If you are concerned about your D levels, a simple blood test can check. Be sure to compare your level to the latest guidelines, which are somewhat higher than those used in previous decades.

Closed Thread