It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Former User of Prednisone

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
PrednisoneUser
(male)

PrednisoneUser HB User
Former User of Prednisone

I was on Prednisone for about 2 decades. I am off of it now for many years.

But I have to ask some questions:

When I was on Prednisone, all they warned me about was my blood pressure, some weight gain, and do NOT use too much salt.

They never mentioned at the time any psychiatric side effects.

I was always depressed as a kid, once even suicidal before I went on prednisone.

But I went on prednisone just after one depression broke just before I entered puberty.

I was on 15 mg / day at first, but over time the usage crept up as my weight ballooned and my asthma worsened.

I ballooned from a hyper skinny kid to a really fatty.

I remember being distruptive in class; and now that I look back, it was like I was on 100 cups of coffee. Was this the prednisone? If you looked cross at me I would scream and later on ask: Why did I say that? Needless to say, I was not popular in school.

I was extraordinarily depressed. My life was in a shambles at this time, and I was fearful of some trouble I was in.

By the time I was in my mid 20s, I was taking anywhere from 20 to 35 mgs of prednisone, depending on how I felt with my very bad asthma.

I was also very angry, very paranoid, hateful, compulsive at a level you cannot believe, had NO control over what came out of my mouth, nursed grudges, forgetful (I can remember those days clearer now, that when they were happening to me), could NOT concentrate one whit, and sometimes out of control, literally doing things that I did not want to do, yet knowing I could not stop. Mood swings like you would not believe. I literally have memories of my home life crop up 20 years later that I would forget the day after it happened.

I had some personality issue before I went on prednisone, but I went on prednisone just as I hit puberty.

In 1990, the Physician's Desk Reference said psychosis kicks in at 500mg/day. Now, they set it much lower.

My bones started dissolving in my 20s. By my 30s, I had hip transplants. So that should tell you how much -sone I was using.

The key here is not high spikes, but long term sustained moderate doses OVER YEARS!

As I look back, I am curious. If I was taking between 20mg and 35mg a day on a daily basis LONG TERM over years and if occasionally, I would go the hospital and the amounts would spike. (SoluMedrol).

How much did prednisone affect my behavior. How much was inate?

I am wondering how much of my behavior was aggravated by the "-sone."

I can tell you this, I am off of it for a decade, but even when I came off of it, I was nutty for a few years afterwards. I have to wonder if being on the prednisone while maturing in my teens did a number on my brain.

By around 10 years after I was off of it, I was much calmer. In my 40s and much nicer. Still have occasional outbursts but now catch myself and say ... "Bad habits ... cool down." Could not do that in my 20s.
The term steroid rage was unknown when I started taking it.

But can long term moderate usage 20mg to 40mg have psychiatric effects?

Last edited by PrednisoneUser; 03-23-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Former User of Prednisone

I would say YES. A few years ago, I was put on a single burst of prednisone. Started at 60, then 50 the next day, then 40, 30, 20, 10, 0. During this burst:

I found it almost impossible to sleep

I was severely cranky.

At one point, my behavior became so erratic someone discussed calling the paramedics.

I will never take Pred again unless my life depends on it, and if I must, I will stay home in my room the entire time and not interact with people or stress at all.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
crazgrl
(female)

crazgrl HB User
Re: Former User of Prednisone

Oh my, yes!!! We jokingly call it joy juice here because it is nothing BUT.

My now 13yo son was on it for 10 days due to very bad poison ivy on his face. He was an emotional mess. He would cry at the drop of a hat. He still remembers to this day and he was probably 7 when it happened and has begged me never to make him take it again.

My other son took it a few times here and there. He was more hyper.

I took it once. I was a mess. I was more on the angry side...everyone leave me alone!! I think my dose was about 10 days. I thought I was losing my mind. I hope I never have to take it again.

It is a wonderfully helpful drug, but has some terrible issues that come with it.

Closed Thread