It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

My situation

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
sccats
(male)

sccats HB User
My situation

For the past 4 weeks I have had a very bad barking cough and chest pain. I went to my doctor 7 days ago and she put me on Prednesol 30mg, Kefflex 3*500mg, ventolin and becatide. A week on and the cough is very bad. Coughing up small amounts of blood and losing my voice. What should I do? Thanks in advance

The following user gives a hug of support to sccats:
MountainReader (03-26-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: My situation

If you've had the cough like that for over a month and your symptoms are still that bad, I'd see about getting tested for Pertussis. It is making a come-back and is more prevalent again than people realize. Your description of it as a barking cough fits perfectly with Pertussis (Whooping Cough). They have found that even when people were vaccinated when young, it wears off.

Pertussis is sometimes called the 100 day cough. I'd seriously look at it as a consideration.

I have asthma with coughing as my primary symptom and sinus problems. When I contracted Pertussis a few years back, it went undiagnosed for a while because the doctors kept attributing it back to those things. Good thing in my case though was that the antibiotics I was on helped keep me from being contagious as long. I also totally lost my voice about a month into my symptoms too. My doc just attributed it to a virus. I know all that coughing isn't good for the vocal cords though.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
sccats
(male)

sccats HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
If you've had the cough like that for over a month and your symptoms are still that bad, I'd see about getting tested for Pertussis. It is making a come-back and is more prevalent again than people realize. Your description of it as a barking cough fits perfectly with Pertussis (Whooping Cough). They have found that even when people were vaccinated when young, it wears off.

Pertussis is sometimes called the 100 day cough. I'd seriously look at it as a consideration.

I have asthma with coughing as my primary symptom and sinus problems. When I contracted Pertussis a few years back, it went undiagnosed for a while because the doctors kept attributing it back to those things. Good thing in my case though was that the antibiotics I was on helped keep me from being contagious as long. I also totally lost my voice about a month into my symptoms too. My doc just attributed it to a virus. I know all that coughing isn't good for the vocal cords though.
Thanks for the reply. I will mention that to my doc when i see her on monday. All the best!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
RonB1111
(male)

RonB1111 HB User

Do all you can to quickly get the cough under control including going to other doctors or even the hospital to correctly diagnose the cause. A long lasting bad cough did serious damage to my health. 18 years ago I had a really bad cough that took 5 weeks to correctly diagnose and my current problems with acid reflux, sleep problems, bad asthma, etc date back to then. In my case it turned out to be a bacteria that was resistent to both antibiotics I was given & it was a throat culture done 5 weeks after the cough begain that identified the cause & proper cure - unfortunately the damage was done.

Mountain Reader brings up a good point on whooping cough - my doctor proactively gave me a whooping cough vaccine last Dec. The only cough medicine that suppresses a cough for me is Tussionex - it makes me feel drowsy & loopy but that's better than constant coughing.

Keep going back to your doctor or another doctor every 2 days if the new medication doesn't control the cough and don't accept the doctor's excuse of "it justs needs some time to work". When you get the right medicine, the cough will be noticeable improved within 1 day. Best of luck to you.

Closed Thread