It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Asthma keeps coming back

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2011, 03:32 AM   #1
mochii
(female)

mochii HB User
Post Asthma keeps coming back

I am a 23 year female and ever since i was a kid i knew i had asthma. In my younger years i don't get asthma attacks that often but now I get asthma attacks every 3-4 hours. its usually at night before i go to sleep. I have a lot of pillows on my bed so that my head will be inclined when sleeping. but sometimes i would wake up having a hard time breathing. my chest would feel tight and sometime i would wheeeze and i would take albuterol and then go back to sleep but after 3-4 hours its the same cycle. sometimes i feel back pains when i cough. upper back pains. i sleep with my dogs and i don't know if that is the only reason why i get asthma attacks that often. Please Help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Asthma keeps coming back

Are you on a daily med? If not, you should be and if so, it may need adjusting. You need to see your pulmonologist. While you are there, ask to work out an "asthma action plan" which will tell you what to do in case of varying symptoms.

Also, you might try the albuterol prophylactically at bedtime (that is, before you go to bed rather than waiting for when you wake up).

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
mochii (05-03-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 05:50 AM   #3
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochii View Post
... its usually at night before i go to sleep.
The bodily process (ref: Circadian Rhythm) that shuts down at night, and makes you sleepy, is the same process that limits the severity of Asthma attacks during the day. In other words, at night your body has less ability to fight against Asthma. Hence, most people with allergies effecting either their sinuses or their lungs, usually have their most severe problems at night.

Quote:
but sometimes i would wake up having a hard time breathing.
The bed is the worst place for allergy sufferers. It is a dusty place, with all kinds of dyes, materials and chemicals. If you use detergents or softeners, your skin also comes into close contact with several, possibly irritating chemicals.

Quote:
my chest would feel tight and sometime i would wheeeze and i would take albuterol and then go back to sleep but after 3-4 hours its the same cycle.
The allergens encountered, eaten, inhaled, touched, smelled, etc. during the entire day are other things that make sinus allergies or Asthma worse at night. All of the allergens and irritants, encountered during the day, combine with the allergens from the bed. It makes for a lot of misery for allergy sufferers.

An important key to "curing" one's own Asthma is understanding that, regardless of allergy testing, there are common, ordinary, seemingly innocuous things that can provoke either Asthma or sinus allergies; and then avoiding those "innocent" things.

Quote:
i sleep with my dogs and i don't know if that is the only reason why i get asthma attacks that often. Please Help.
I've had dogs all my life. I did not realize that my dogs were a big part of my health problems and my allergy problems. I was able to cuddle my dogs, and play with my dogs, and kiss my dogs, etc., and I never reacted! It was only after I spent time away from my dog did I realize the serious impact the dog was having on my health. Having to part with our dog was one of the saddest times of our lives.

Best of luck and health to you!
⇒2002 BP: 151/96; taken 1,423
⇒2008-2017 BP: 119/69; taken 7,514

Last edited by Machaon; 05-11-2011 at 01:47 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
mochii (05-03-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, do look into the allergy connection. You might try a benedryl at bedtime.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
mochii (05-03-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
mochii
(female)

mochii HB User

Thank you so much for all your advices!

@Titchou: once in a while i take Qvar before i go to sleep and sometimes it would make my chest feel tight but i have never tried taking albuterol before i go to sleep so i might just try that. planning to see a pulmonologist this weekend. Thank you so much for answering my post

@Machaon: Thank you for educating me about allergies and why i get asthma attacks at night. i guess its time for a thorough cleaning in my bedroom. i was wondering if it would be helpful if i just let my dogs sleep downstairs instead of with me? Thank you for taking the time for answering my posts.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
mochii
(female)

mochii HB User

I recently realize that when i laugh too much i get asthma attacks. is that normal?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochii View Post
... i was wondering if it would be helpful if i just let my dogs sleep downstairs instead of with me? ...
If you can live with your dogs carrying on downstairs for a few nights, it might be worth the test. They are creatures of habit, so a change in night-time environment would not sit well with them, and would give them anxiety and confusion.

If you are going to test putting the dogs downstairs, you might consider a 3-4 night test. At the same time, your sheets and blankets would have to be thoroughly washed, and the dogs should not be allowed into your bedroom. Your bedroom rugs would also have to be thoroughly vacuumed, and if they are throw rugs, washed.

What detergents do you use? Any fabric softeners? What kind of pillows do you use? How old is your mattress? Do you vacuum your mattress?
⇒2002 BP: 151/96; taken 1,423
⇒2008-2017 BP: 119/69; taken 7,514

Last edited by Machaon; 05-03-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Attacks from laughing are common when asthma is not well controlled.

Definitely reduce allergens in the bedroom. I have removed almost all clutter from the bedroom, no rugs, and dirty laundry is stored in the bathroom, especially during my allergy season.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
LAX21
(male)

LAX21 HB User

You sound like you a daily maintenance drug. Please tell your doctor exactly what is happening. Rescue inhalers are powerful and lose their effectiveness if taken too much. Dogs and any pillow containing down should be removed. Ge some humidifier for moisture. It helps us asthmatics. Also look into a hepa filter. They help clean the air in a room and remove dust and crap in the air. And as people have pointed out allergies are a big cause of asthma. Especially in the spring when everything is in full bloom.

Good luck

Old 05-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
lottery loser
(female)

lottery loser HB User

you might be allergic to their dander.........try sleeping in a different room......and if you have forced hot air............that also could be a problem....................I moved to the mountains in Pa to live where it is cooler most of the year..............we have baseboard heat..............the doctor can check you for allergies...................allergies cause asmtha

Old 05-23-2011, 07:24 AM   #11
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Not all asthma is caused by allergies. I have had allergies all my life (am 65) but asthma only for the last 15 and it was caused by a bout of walking pneumonia. And frankly, even when my allergies act up, it doesn't impact my asthma at all.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
rockbysea
(male)

rockbysea HB User

After I saw this New Zealand farmer on deaths door cured of leukemia through high doses of vitamin C I decided I had nothing to loose since I was diagnosed with late adult onset asthma 21/2 years earlier. That evening I took 10 grams (10,000ml) to start. About 4 hours later I went to bed and noticed I didnít have to take my blue inhaler. The next day I decided to increase my daily dose to my tolerance level getting as high as 30 grams a day but eventually not being able to take more than 22 grams a day which is my tolerance level. All I can say is that itís been 6 months and my asthma is just about gone. I still take one puff of symbicourt a day and I will eventually start to reduce it. I rarely have any congestion and when I do itís mild and goes away by itself after Ĺ an hour or so.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
trustngod7
Inactive
(male)

trustngod7 HB User

Hey there I suffered with asthma as well as allergies very bad. I tried this new air purification system that helped me in ways that are truly unexplainable. The company worked with me and I was able to try the system for 5 days for free just to see if it would help me in any way possible. I find myself breathing better now than ever before. Its a purification system with no filters. There are many indoor air pollutions that are proven to trigger asthma as well as allergies. This is the only NASA space certified air purification technology on the planet. If you want more information please let know. I would love to help as many people as I can to help them with their asthma and allergies.

Closed Thread