It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Toddler with asthma

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
SHAYLOVE513
(female)

SHAYLOVE513 HB User
Question Toddler with asthma

My baby has been on so many different medicines for the Asthma. Xopenex,singuliar, pulmcort...etc nothing seems to work to keep it away!! It seems to happen every 3to 4 weeks and if it's gets really bad we have to give him the steriod (pred). My two older sons never went threw this all these new medicines scare me.I really just feel for him and wish it was me. Do anyone know of any thing that have work for their toddler? If so please help give me some hope.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Toddler with asthma

Okay, best news first: Very often, babies and toddlers with severe asthma either get over it entirely or find it much less severe as they grow up. In fact, using medicines like Pulmicort to treat it may reduce his risk of lung problems in the long term.

However, he does need effective treatment in the meantime. What kind of doctor are you working with? Do you know what's triggering the attacks? Is it colds or viruses, possibly? Toddlers with school-aged siblings do get a lot of colds.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
SHAYLOVE513
(female)

SHAYLOVE513 HB User

Good Morning Jane

Yes i was told he should grow out of it, but the last year in a half have been very tuff. Im going to look for more information on xopenex as well , I remember someone telling me it cant slow down the growth.Which is what makes me not want to keep giving him all this medicines.He takes a daily dose of symbicort inhaler twice a day and for his nose nasonex and singulair that goes in his food at night.I was told he dont have allergies and i dont know whats triggering it. He sees a pulmonary doctor, ear nose & throat, and his pediatrican.And its cold always start with a cough, then the nose which trigger the wheezing. Right now he has a cough but I have it until control i think by adding the xopenex in the morning before he leave.

Oh also i have him in a daycare

thanks

Old 05-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yes, some asthma medicines can slow growth, BUT, generally the child catches up height-wise, plus leaving the asthma untreated will slow his growth even more, and can lead to other problems.

Have you ever tried Intal? It's not as effective as some other medicines, but it works well for some children, and it's extremely safe.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
SHAYLOVE513
(female)

SHAYLOVE513 HB User

No, we haven't tried that one yet i will look it up and run it by the doctor.I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully I can pin piont what triggers it.I know today he outside with the day care weather is nice, so let's see if he stays calm with no wheezing....

Old 05-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

If he feels ok outside TODAY in NJ, he does not have allergies! The pollen's so thick I can see it, and I was itching and short of breath after just a few minutes outside.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #7
SHAYLOVE513
(female)

SHAYLOVE513 HB User

GD Morning...
The daycare took him out twice yesterday about 10am and after snack.He is fine, I'm going to find out what triggers it because Im more focus on it now.We dont have any pets, only my bedroom has carpet which is suppose to be the kind that good for asthma. I now i have to stay at it to see whats happens...it's been now a couple of weeks since the last attack.

Have you always had this problem since a child? Do you have any toddlers in your family with asthma.

my son father had problems when he was little but not like my baby.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Believe it or not, my asthma started suddenly just last year, after having very healthy lungs all my life, with no family history of lung problems. Most commonly asthma starts either in childhood or in middle aged to older folks, but more and more young women are being diagnosed for the first time. No one is entirely sure why.

Because I've had a difficult time finding the right treatment, I've educated myself a lot about asthma.

So, your son is not allergic to spring pollen! This is good. Has he had skin testing for allergies recently? The skin testing isn't usually done in babies, because the allergies rarely develop until kids are at least a year or two old.

If it's not allergies, it's probably just viruses and possibly irritants. I find that fragrances are bad for me, such as air fresheners, perfume, etc. I avoid chemicals in my home and clean with plain water where possible, and if I can't use plain water, I use a gentle unscented cleanser. Perfume free detergent, no fabric softener, no window cleaner, no disinfectants, and of course, no smoke of any kind.

The windows are dirty, but I DON'T CARE.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
SHAYLOVE513
(female)

SHAYLOVE513 HB User

Oh my!! I have heard alot lately of adults having asthma,that has to be worst.The doctor not going to tell you , you may out grow it. I hope you can keep it under control I will be praying for you also.

And YES I dont use perfume, air freshners, anymore. But when you just meant the cleaning products I do use some with a strong scent. Now when I go out Im going to pick up un scented, also Im always cleaning with clorox!! Im a clorox freak sometimes trying to keep everything wipe down for him. I will stay away from that as well, need to change somethings.

And who care the windows are dirty my mom always says you can wipe it with water and it will be ok.

Things have change since my older sons...let me tell you this.My oldset is 23 and 19 then I got married and had the baby which is 2....

So this is really starting over for me I had my parents to help me in the pass but they live in Atlanta now, and my husband drives. So its all on me plus i have been missing time out of work do to his illness.I dont like it but i have no choice.

But I know it will be ok...that's why i sign up to hear from other people going threw changes as well. And to get some advice so I wont get to stressed out...

Old 05-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #10
LAX21
(male)

LAX21 HB User

I've had asthma my whole life. Even had some close class with attacks.
But now I'm older and it's completely under control.

My advice to find a good lung doctor that will look for the triggers of his wheezing, not just how to stop it.

Do a trigger cheek yourself. Mold, animal dander, blankets, anything. Something is starting his lung to suffer. Check everything.

Things to do. Allergy scratch test, get a hepa filter, keep excitement to a minimum, keep a humidifier going.

Good luck

Old 05-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
SHAYLOVE513
(female)

SHAYLOVE513 HB User

Good Morning...

Yes I will look into that because they have not figure out what triggers it.Just treating it like you said. I do use a humidifier but not always, and he's not around any animals, smoking, and mold. I do have someone coming to check out my basement for mold just in case.

Right now for about a month he has been good...just have a little cough which i do also.But it has not trigger the asthma thank god!!

I had to give him a couple of treatments in between nothing major, I just hope I can limit some of the medicines he has to take.I hate to think he has to take so much he's only 2

Old 05-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #12
LAX21
(male)

LAX21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAYLOVE513 View Post
Good Morning...

Yes I will look into that because they have not figure out what triggers it.Just treating it like you said. I do use a humidifier but not always, and he's not around any animals, smoking, and mold. I do have someone coming to check out my basement for mold just in case.

Right now for about a month he has been good...just have a little cough which i do also.But it has not trigger the asthma thank god!!

I had to give him a couple of treatments in between nothing major, I just hope I can limit some of the medicines he has to take.I hate to think he has to take so much he's only 2

Old 05-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
LAX21
(male)

LAX21 HB User

Humdifer is good. Moisture always helped me. Look into the hepatitis filter. It takes all the junk out of the air. Little things people can't see. Like dust. It has helped me. Also some climates are better than others. I was bad in the Midwest. And great in California. The triggers are the thing. Keep it a clean and use the hepa and the humidifier.
I'll be pulled for the little guy

Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

HEPA is an acronym, standing for High Efficiency Particulate Air, which is the best type of air filter for the home of someone with asthma.

Hepatitis is a nasty contagious liver disease.

Let's not confuse the two.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #15
LAX21
(male)

LAX21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
HEPA is an acronym, standing for High Efficiency Particulate Air, which is the best type of air filter for the home of someone with asthma.

Hepatitis is a nasty contagious liver disease.

Let's not confuse the two.

Closed Thread