It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Asthma and Prednisone

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
mtj
(male)

mtj HB User
Asthma and Prednisone

I have been battling with breathing problems for years now. I have been diagnosed with Asthma, Sinus, and Allergy problems. I have tried (still trying) large number of different medications and I feel that Prednisone is the only one that is actually helping. Currently I am on Xopenex and Zyflo CR among other inhaled/oral medications. I have been reading about all the bad side effects of prednisone and so I am wondering if it safe to be on Prednisone all the time. Usually I take a 7-10 days Prednisone course and this keeps me in good shape for the next 2-3 weeks. Every now and then when the symptoms are really bad, I may take two steroid injections (80 mg in total). Then I have to take another course and so on. I have been on this for years now. Does anybody else have a similar situation? How are you coping with this? Did you try any non-conventional or alternative medications that you would like to share? I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Asthma and Prednisone

Well, no, that much Prednisone isn't safe, but if it's the only thing keeping you breathing, then you don't have much choice.

Take calcium and other supplements. Get your joints checked for signs of bone deterioration. And do everything you can to get off of Pred.

I assume you are on an inhaled steroid and a LABA, and at least one antihistamine also. Have you tried allergy shots? Or is your asthma too severe and unstable? I also assume you are taking all reasonable steps to reduce your exposure to allergens.

You mention Xolair. That helps some people a LOT, but it hasn't been tested in people with IgE above 700, so no one really knows the proper dose. Do some research and ask around to see if anyone has experience using Xolair "off-label" for people with extra-high IgE. I can tell you my allergist has several dozen people on regular Xolair injections and has never seen it cause anaphylaxis.

Finally, you may want to talk to your doctor about testing you for aspirin sensitivity. About 40% of asthmatics with chronic sinusitis have it. Aspirin desensitization can do wonders for people with severe steroid dependent asthma.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
mtj
(male)

mtj HB User
Re: Asthma and Prednisone

My IgE level was over 1000 last time I checked. Despite this high level, the skin allergy test was positive for ONLY dust mites!!! I was on allergy shots before, but my current allergist believes that the reason for my problems is not allergies and so I am no longer taking any allergy shots.
I never heard of aspirin sensitivity before, I will check with my doctor in the next visit.

Thanks

Closed Thread