It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

alright..STUPID question but...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
vermonsters
(female)

vermonsters HB User
alright..STUPID question but...

I have to ask...can allerigies be the cause of lung irritation and have it NOT be asthma...or is it the same thing? I'm guessing it's the same thing, asthma must be caused by allergies in some people. I'm only asking because I'm doing some research on what is causing my asthma and so far I'm pretty convinced I have allergic rhinitis ...I KNOW you shouldn't diagnosis yourself but I'm 99% sure that is what is causing my asthma symptoms. Can anyone relate?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: alright..STUPID question but...

There is an "allergic asthma" just as there is regular asthma (caused by damage to the airways from sickness or disease), exercised induced asthma (EIA), cough variant asthma, etc. Lots of different types with different causes. And sometimes with regular old fashioned asthma, certain triggers as allergies, odors/aromas, cold, heat, humidity, etc can cause an attack.

One should be tested properly and have a final determination from their pulmonologist and get an asthma action plan (written) so that you know what to do when for YOUR situation.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

My asthma was definitely triggered by allergies. Over the last few years, my hay fever gradually got worse, until, after several days of severe itching and sneezing, I woke up one morning wondering who stole the air.

I was shocked, I'd always had super-healthy lungs, but it soon became clear that I also have trouble with non-allergic triggers, such as weather or smoke. (Some people do get asthma from allergic triggers only.)

I've been on allergy shots and Flovent for just over a year now, and I have to say, it's made a big difference to how I feel, though it took a LONG time.

When asthma starts before age 40 or so, it's more likely to be caused by or linked to allergies. When it starts after 40, it's more likely to have been caused by an infection, or chronic exposure to irritants.

On the other hand, some people can develop a chronic cough from allergies, just due to postnasal drip, without having asthma.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:28 AM   #4
vermonsters
(female)

vermonsters HB User

Thank you both for replying. I've too noticed my allerigies have become worse over the past few years.....I woke up SO stuffy this morning. It makes sense I guess that if your upper airways are irritated it may irritate the lungs, I mean it's all connected. I was reading a couple of interesting medical articles about the connection being made between rhinitis and asthma. I too am troubled by cold air/humid hot weather, I'm 33 female, had breating problems when I was a kid..cronic croup, asthma when sick..I ended up blue in the hospital a couple of times but seemed to grow out of it...but now it's back, not as severe thankfully!

Closed Thread