It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Question about Asthma

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
scared8
(male)

scared8 HB User
Question about Asthma

Hi everyone, this started last week monday (been 10 days now).

-started with a tickle in my throat & developed into a sore throat (sore throat got better over time)
-then developed a cough & weird feeling in my chest (when I cough, it feels bad in there).
-coughing up phlegm in the mornings (some white cloudy, some greenish/yellowish).
-feeling tired/fatigued (how you feel when you have a cold/flu). Appetite has been suppressed.
-No runny nose, fever, or chills.

I went to the doctor, he said he didnt want to give antibiotics right away and to come back after a few days. So, on my second visit, the doctor told mentioned allergies and asthma. I got 2 inhalers.

This is pretty weird to me, since I thought I probably had a cold. Ive had asthma when I was young and needed treatment, and needed inhalers occasionally in high school.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Ive been taking the inhalers for 2 days now and notice some ease when breathing. But, that feeling of something feeling wrong in my chest is still there, and I still definitely feel under the weather. Is it possible for a cold symptoms to turn into chest/asthma issues? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Question about Asthma

Anything that affects your respiratory system can trigger asthma, even if it's just a cold. If you had asthma symptoms in high school, then you probably do have asthma, even if symptoms went away entirely for several years.

You might have a chest cold, you might have bronchitis, but if you are in decent health to begin with, you should be able to recover. Still, if the coughing up green stuff continues, do ask for antibiotics.

You say you got 2 inhalers. I would imagine that one is a fast-acting rescue inhaler, such as albuterol, and the other one is aimed at treating the underlying inflammation. The "daily" one takes about a week to start working, the fast acting one works in about a minute.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
scared8
(male)

scared8 HB User

hi thank you for your response. One of the inhalers is called 120 advair 250 mcg mdi. The other is called 200 ventolin hfa inhaler. Are these what you are talking about?

The green stuff has been diminishing over time. In general, coughing up stuff has been decreasing over time. Im not exactly sure what that means.

Thanks.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Exactly. The Advair is meant to be used every day. The Ventolin can be used whenever you have symptoms, but no more than two puffs in 4 hours. It will take a week or two to see the full benefit of Advair.

If the cough and green stuff is decreasing, that's good, it means you are getting better. (It might take several weeks for a complete recovery.)

Old 07-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I second Jane's last post!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:15 AM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

As do I. Bronchitis seems to be rather rampant this year as does pertussis. It can take up to a couple of weeks or more of meds to be better.

Closed Thread