It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

trouble breathing again!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
klynn1960
(female)

klynn1960 HB Userklynn1960 HB Userklynn1960 HB User
trouble breathing again!

Hi

I am so tired of asthma problems.
I am so short of breath and worse with any exertion.
I am on advair, spriva, alvesco and ventalin when needed. I also have started
xolair shots 3 every 2 weeks since February.

I have been on many rounds of prednisone and hope I do not need more.

I think this time of year is bad because the temperatures start getting colder and the ragweed and molds are a problem due to allergies.

Can anyone relate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: trouble breathing again!

This is a difficult time of year. My asthma is definitely worse the past couple weeks.

The Xolair might work yet. I remember for MountainReader it took about a year to start working.

You also might benefit from a daily antihistamine, and definitely minimize the time you spend breathing outdoor air. When I get home feeling bad, I shower, change my clothes, rinse my sinuses with saline, and cuddle up to my air filter in the bedroom. (Well, I don't actually cuddle it, I just sit next to it, but you know what I mean. )

One final thing you might consider is allergy shots. I'm flaring up right now, but it's about 20-30% as bad as what I was dealing with this time last year, and I attribute most of that to allergy shots. Maybe next year the shots will provide even more benefits.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
klynn1960
(female)

Hi

Thanks for your ideas but I have tried all of them.

The last time I had allergy shots I had a bad reaction and ended up in the
hospital for afew days.

Yes, I am still hoping that the xolair will work.

It is a bad time of year but I am just tired of being short of breath
and all of the other related asthma issues.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I'm doing well right now, but I've been in your shoes over the years.

When my asthma really flares out of control, it typically takes me about 4 months to start getting it back under control... even when I'm "doing everything right." It really really really wears on you. Not just physically, but mentally as well.

It sounds like you are on a pretty high dosage of the Xolair. I hope you will start seeing results. I really noticed mine at about the one year mark. I'm on a lower dosage though. This time last year, I was on 2 daily asthma meds, 4 allergy meds and my as-needed meds like the albuterol and prednisone. In fact, it was almost exactly a year ago that I had a loopy reaction to Prednisone. My Pulmonologist said he doesn't want me back on the Prednisone again unless my readings go below 250 which is really low for me.

It's too bad you can't do the allergy immunotherapy. In talking to my doctor, it appears that the Xolair has boosted the effectiveness of my immunotherapy so I'm getting double benefit as I'm taking it for my asthma.

It sounds like you are well-versed in what you should do. That is good. Do you wear a mask when you go out. I found a good one with a charcoal filter that helps me get through the days that are cold and polluted. I haven't tried it on high pollen days since I didn't have it when my allergies were at their worst. The mask isn't pretty, but I know it has saved me at times.

Do you just have shortness of breath or do you also cough? What dosage of Advair are you on? Are you seeing a Pulmonologist for your asthma? Do you have a nebulizer at home?

Do you have acid reflux? Have you been tested for it? I have really bad environmentally triggered asthma and when my symptoms would get bad, they would just up the meds. Turned out I also have severe "silent" acid reflux. In my case, the acid irritates the lungs and sometimes the throat. Through special testing, I found out in my case the acid is coming up in a gaseous form which is hard to detect. They call the reflux "silent" for a reason since I never actually felt the acid despite the extremely severe nature of it. After visits with my ENT/allergist, Pulmonologist, and Gastroenterologist, I learned that the reflux and asthma can go hand in hand. If your other treatments aren't working it might be worth asking about. I know when my acid reflux was finally under control it made it easier to keep the environmental triggered asthma under control.

Hang in there,
MountainReader

Old 09-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
klynn1960
(female)

Hi Mountain Reader

Yes, I do have acid reflux and I do take medicines for it.

I do know what to do for my asthma but I find it just drains me of energy.
I think I will have to go on prednisone if it continues because just walking around
my house gives me problems.

I dread always going to the doctor though.

I had about 6 weeks of feeling semi good in the summer so I am just frustrated that I am having problems again.

Since November, I have had 1 or 2 attacks a month up until June.

Thanks for all your comments and I hope things continue to go well for you.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
klynn1960
(female)

Hi Mountain Reader

I do cough alot along with alot of shortness of breath, chest tightness and some
wheezing.

I on on advair 500 and yes I have an nebulizer at home. I do see an asthma
doctor as well.

The weather here is very hot and humid today and is probably going to cool off
tomorrow.

I think I will have to see my doctor tomorrow if I do not improve.

Stay well
Klynn

Closed Thread