It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

No improvment

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Matthew9
(male)

Matthew9 HB User
No improvment

Good evening,
Hello to all. I have been recently diagnosed with asthma, about 6 months ago. Scince then my doctor and I have had all kinds of trouble getting it under control.
Background: 25yr old male, 5'10", 185lbs. Physically active, never once had breathing troubles. Active duty Marine Corps.
Medications: Advair 50/500. Prilosec. Claritin. Flonase. Singulare. Albuterol. I take all these medications at least once a day and I use Albuterol before physical activities.
Recent Activity: I have been waking up some nights coughing with great chest tighness. During physica exercise I have had the same symtoms even while using the Albuterol.
I have been back and forth to the doctors for test after test. My spirometery is pretty normal however I always test Positive with the Methocoline, 1st few levels.
I do not understand why my body is not doing anything with all the medications i'm on, just a small impovement. I know these kinds of results are not typical and we are running out of options.
If anyone has any prior experience, similar results, or anything helpful it would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: No improvment

How many puffs of albuterol and how long before cardio? Have y ou tried albuterol before bedtime?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Matthew9
(male)

Matthew9 HB User

I'll do 3 puffs about 20-30 minutes prior to cardio. I've used it before bed time but not all the time.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The standard is 2 puffs, 60 seconds apart, 15-20 minutes before cardio. The effects only last about an hour so if you are waiting 30 minutes, you've used up half your time.

And are you seeing a pulmonologist? There are many other asthma drugs you try. I must go to the only one in the country who doesn't start you on Advair! never been on it - use Flovent which is a single drug - and it's worked great for 15 years or more.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Matthew9 (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Matthew9
(male)

Matthew9 HB User

I have been doing everything as directed by my doc, yes he is a pulm. I go back down there next week for some more testing. It's getting frustrating. Thanks for the information.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Yes, a trip to the pulmo is in order.

Closed Thread