It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Anyone else suffer breathing problems from smoke in someone's hair or clothing?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Anyone else suffer breathing problems from smoke in someone's hair or clothing?

Even if someone hasn't smoked in hours, I'll suffer asthma problems from just the residual smoke in their clothes or hair or mouth. The longer that I am in contact with the smoker, the worse and longer the Asthma; and the longer the recovery period after Asthma symptoms subside!

Anyone else as sensitive to residual cigarette smoke?
⇒ 2002 BP was 151/96; readings:1,423
⇒ From 2008-2017 BP was 119/69; readings:7,514

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Anyone else suffer breathing problems from smoke in someone's hair or clothing?

If I'm under control, then no. But if, say, it's pollen season and I'm already having a not-so-good asthma day, then just smelling the lingering cigarette smoke on someone can make me feel worse. Same with certain fragrances.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Ariel99
(female)

Ariel99 HB User
Re: Anyone else suffer breathing problems from smoke in someone's hair or clothing?

Yes. The smoke/smell stuffs up my nose and makes me start coughing. I try to avoid all smoke but it is sometimes difficult to do so.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, I can't be around a smoker much at all. Clogs me up.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Yes!!! There is one really sweet person I work with who talks quietly that I can't get close enough to have a conversation with because of the lingering smoke smell. It embarrasses me, but it just isn't worth my health. I try sticking to e-mail.

The really hard part is when I have clients with the problem. It puts me in a catch 22 trying to help them while protecting myself.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
klynn1960
(female)

klynn1960 HB Userklynn1960 HB Userklynn1960 HB User

Yes, I find it very hard to breathe around people who have smoked probably
hours before. This is worse if my asthma is not good from allergies or a cold.

I am allergic to tobacco smoke so I understand!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
If I'm under control, then no.
I found your comment interesting. I am extremely sensitive to certain kinds of cigarette smoke, and it doesn't seem to depend the state of my Asthma at the time.

When my wife used to smoke, a long long time ago, I would start to suffer when she entered the front door, even though it's at the other side of my home. I couldn't hear the door open or close. But.... I knew that she had come home, regardless of the time, because I would start wheezing and feeling sick. She knew to stop smoking about 30 minutes before she came home, and to air herself out, but I would still react badly to the residual smoke.

It is still a mystery to me. How can trace elements of cigarette smoke travel that fast (a few seconds) all the way through and across my home?! It's impossible!!

Quote:
But if, say, it's pollen season and I'm already having a not-so-good asthma day, then just smelling the lingering cigarette smoke on someone can make me feel worse. Same with certain fragrances.
I was at the Cleveland Clinic yesterday, sitting and watching TV while waiting to be led in for my appointment. First, a guy sat down near me and my chest started getting slightly tight. So..... I moved to another seat. Then a lady sat down right beside me, decked out in some kind of awful, sweet smelling fragrance. At that point, I decided to stand up while waiting, away from the waiting masses. At least there weren't any smokers in the room!

Thanks for your response!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel99 View Post
Yes. The smoke/smell stuffs up my nose and makes me start coughing. I try to avoid all smoke but it is sometimes difficult to do so.
Have you ever had to ask someone not to smoke around you?

Also..... have you had to move away from someone who wasn't smoking, but had smoke smells in their hair or clothes? I find it very awkward having to get up and move away from someone, or asking someone else to keep his/her distance from me.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Yes, I can't be around a smoker much at all. Clogs me up.
Just the sinuses, or sinuses and Asthma?

Do you also feel sickly, malaise after coming into contact with a smoker? The closer I get to him, and the longer that I am exposed, not only will I suffer from breathing problems, it can make me feel sick as a dog for 24-48 hours!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #10
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
Yes!!! There is one really sweet person I work with who talks quietly that I can't get close enough to have a conversation with because of the lingering smoke smell.
So.... as long as the person doesn't get too close to you, you don't react to the lingering smoke smell? If so, you are very lucky. I can't be in the same room!

Quote:
It embarrasses me, but it just isn't worth my health. I try sticking to e-mail.
What happens to you when exposed to the smoke smell? Just breathing problems? Do you also feel sick? Lightheaded? Dizzy? Sweaty? Heart palpitations? Nausea?

Quote:
The really hard part is when I have clients with the problem. It puts me in a catch 22 trying to help them while protecting myself.
What do you do? How do you deal with a client that has smoked? Also.... do you ask them not to smoke around you? Do you ask them not to get too close?

Thanks for your response!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klynn1960 View Post
Yes, I find it very hard to breathe around people who have smoked probably hours before.
Have you ever sat on a couch that had previously been sat on by a smoker, sometimes even days prior? For me, once a cigarette smell gets into something, like a couch or a rug, the smell NEVER leaves, and I can't get anywhere close to it. It has to go!

What type of a reaction do you get from the cigarette smoke? Any nausea, or palpitations or feeling sickly, malaise?

Our bodies try to protect ourselves from the allergen attack (in this case, cigarette smoke), and as a result, our bodies pour hormones into our blood stream. I am pretty sure that it is these excess hormones that cause an Asthmatic, or Allergy Sufferer to feel so very sick for a day or two after a significant exposure and reaction.

Or..... am I the only one who feels so very sickly after a nasty Asthmatic reaction?

Last edited by Machaon; 10-06-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It sounds like you are more sensitive than me. If I'm exposed a to a lot of smoke, like actually being next to someone smoking, it'll set off my lungs, eyes and sinuses regardless. But momentary exposures to perfume or smoke only bother me if my lungs are not well.

Ironically, as I type this, the sidebar ad is for some newfangled STRONGER scent product. I'm tempted to write them a nasty letter for even inventing such an unnecessary respiratory irritant!

Last edited by janewhite1; 10-06-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #13
Ariel99
(female)

Ariel99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Have you ever had to ask someone not to smoke around you?

Also..... have you had to move away from someone who wasn't smoking, but had smoke smells in their hair or clothes? I find it very awkward having to get up and move away from someone, or asking someone else to keep his/her distance from me.
Yes, I have had to ask people to go smoke elsewhere. I try to be polite about it; however, sometimes I just have to remove myself from the smoker. I am also bothered by secondhand smoke and strong perfume. Gives me a heck of a headache.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #14
vermonsters
(female)

vermonsters HB User

Strong scents get to me also...not sure about second hand smoke yet but I do know perfume and cleaners get do it for me. Just being in the cleaning isle in a store is hard...I start to get that itchy tickly(sp?) feeling in my throat and chest, I have to get out of there.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
It sounds like you are more sensitive than me.
Sad, but true. I had a stupid long-term sinus infection which great increased my sensitivities. When I was finally able to get rid of my sinusitis, it was too late. I found my self ultra-sensitive to many things.

Quote:
If I'm exposed to a lot of smoke, like actually being next to someone smoking, it'll set off my lungs, eyes and sinuses regardless. But momentary exposures to perfume or smoke only bother me if my lungs are not well.
You are lucky, so to speak. If I come into contact with a certain type of cigarette smoke for just a little while, just in someones clothes or hair, I get indigestion, nausea, a tight chest, difficult breathing and malaise, that can last for hours, some times DAYS! It's not fun!

Quote:
Ironically, as I type this, the sidebar ad is for some newfangled STRONGER scent product. I'm tempted to write them a nasty letter for even inventing such an unnecessary respiratory irritant!
I don't blame you. I feel the same way! I feel more and more hounded by ads on the Internet. The latest annoyance is the video ads. It takes longer to load the page and then you have this stupid ad blaring at you!

I've switched over to Mozilla-Firefox as my browser, which allows me to block things that I don't want the page to load. Tis nice!

Thanks for your post. Best of Health!

Closed Thread