It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Newly diagnosed. Where to start?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
BigSteve1
(male)

BigSteve1 HB User
Newly diagnosed. Where to start?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Name is Steve and I'm a new member. I'm a 54 year old male. Apparently I've had some asthma symptoms my whole life without realizing it. After the last 10 years in Florida my symptoms got so bad I had to seek treatment. I've seen a pulmonary Dr about it. At this point I'm feeling like he isn't being aggressive enough. On the other hand, I really don't know enough about Asthma to say that either.

I certainly understand what Asthma is. What I'm looking for is a web page, FAQ or something similar written in layman's terms to help me learn more. Things I'm trying to figure out are whether I have a mild case or a strong case, what my alternatives in medicine are, possible consequences of taking certain medications long term, etc.....

Any nudge in the right direction is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed. Where to start?

What is your treatment plan - meds, when to take, etc? How long have you been on it? Do you have an asthma action plan (what to do in certain cases)? If not, Mountain Reader posted an excellent one on this board. Do a search for it. It would be very helpful to you.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
BigSteve1
(male)

BigSteve1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
What is your treatment plan - meds, when to take, etc? How long have you been on it? Do you have an asthma action plan (what to do in certain cases)? If not, Mountain Reader posted an excellent one on this board. Do a search for it. It would be very helpful to you.
My family Dr put me on Advair 100/50 1-2 day. Later, he upped the Advair to 250/100 twice daily. But no tests. I decided that wasn't good enough and found a Pulmonary Dr. He also gave me Ventolin and said I should take 2 puffs once or twice a day, and as needed if I have problems breathing. I told him that my understanding about Advair is that it should be taken as a "last resort" if nothing else worked. He said it's best to use something else if possible, but didn't give me anything else to try. On a later visit he kind of poo-poo'ed the thought I should be trying something else. Have been on the current plan about 4 months. He kept me on 250/100 twice daily.

The Dr never made an effort to find the cause. I do know exercise triggers a negative response. And my worst episode was triggered (apparently) by mowing the lawn during an extremely high pollen count day.

I'm just trying to put the pieces together in my personal puzzle. I've never had a sudden severe attack like what you see on TV shows or movies. OTOH I've had bouts of coughing and shortness of breath that went on for a couple of years (prior to seeking out help) Currently on the Advair I'm pretty much Okay, although exercising still triggers discomfort, which the Ventolin helps. The other night I was coughing a lot, again the Ventolin cleared that up.

The Pulmonary Dr seemed puzzled at first. The test he had me do was measuring my lung functions, medicating me through a nebulizer, then re-measuring. He said my initial measurements looked good. But the fact that I improved after the nebulizer "suggested" that I have Asthma. Even though I have many, if not most of the symptoms.

Prior to seeing the Pulmonary Dr, I was on Advair already from my family Dr. I found at that time that if I went off advair for a few days, or if I under-medicated for a few weeks, my symptoms would come back gradually, as opposed to suddenly.

Just trying to make sense of all this.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
kristieann
(female)

kristieann HB User

Steve - I was recently diagnosed with mild asthma after having a 4 month bout with bronchitis. I am 32 years old and have a long history of asthma in my family. So far, I am only on Albuterol as needed, but I go back to the doctor on the 30th. Hopefully you and I both can get some understanding and a reaction plan from our doctors.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
sue430
(female)

sue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB User

There is an overwhelming amount of info to absorb when you are first diagnosed. If your symptoms were pretty severe when you were seen by the dr, that would explain going directly to advair. All of my doctors have believed in treating it very aggressively in order to bring things under control, and then gradually step down medications as my symptoms allowed. You mentioned that mowing the grass set off an attack, do you have allergies? If you have not already done so, and you think you might have allergies, I would recommend seeing an allergist asap. They can test you & if your allergies are severe & triggering your asthma, allergy shots can be a huge help. Allergists are also very adept at handling asthma, as many many patients have both allergies & asthma, and so many times asthma is triggered by allergies. As for your exercising symptoms, did you dr tell you that using your ventolin about 20 minutes before starting can help your asthma from flaring up during exercise, which is a very common trigger for people with asthma especially if you exercise outdoors & have pollen allergies. One of the best things I did for myself when I was first diagnosed was to keep a journal. Each time I had a flare up, I jotted down the date, time, what symptoms I had, how severe, how long they lasted, and where I was & what I was doing shortly before the attack. This can be a huge help in identifying what is setting you off, so that you can take care to avoid your triggers. There is also much information available on the internet. You could try asking your doctor what sites he/she thinks are a good source of reliable information about asthma. Also it is important to maintain a good working relationship with whoever is treating your asthma. If you are not getting the answers you need, find another doctor. When I was first diagnosed by my allergist, he had me coming in very frequently (every 2 weeks, then once/month, then every quarter, etc) until we really got things under control. It was not uncommon for me to take in 3 pages of questions to ask him during my appt. He always answered everything thoroughly & in understandable language, and he respected me more as a patient for wanting to learn all that I could, and taking charge of helping myself get better. I would never have made it thru those first couple of years without him working with me & constantly reassuring me that I would be feeling normal again eventually. Good luck to you, soon you will be an old pro at this, and also feeling much better!

The Following User Says Thank You to sue430 For This Useful Post:
BigSteve1 (11-26-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
BigSteve1
(male)

BigSteve1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue430 View Post
There is an overwhelming amount of info to absorb when you are first diagnosed.
*SNIP!*

Thanks for the input. I really should have pressed the Dr harder. But as I said, I didn't know what to ask, and was already pre-occupied with a nasty arm injury.

I told him about the mowing incident, he didn't say anything. Didn't say anything about chasing the allergies or a reaction plan. I'm going to do my homework, then seek out an allergy Dr.

BTW, I generally don't allow myself enough sleep. (Night owls and day jobs don't mix well.) Of course, lack of sleep aggravates a lot of things. But can that be a trigger also?

Old 11-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
BigSteve1
(male)

BigSteve1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieann View Post
Steve - I was recently diagnosed with mild asthma after having a 4 month bout with bronchitis. I am 32 years old and have a long history of asthma in my family. So far, I am only on Albuterol as needed, but I go back to the doctor on the 30th. Hopefully you and I both can get some understanding and a reaction plan from our doctors.
That's another question I have. How did you and your Dr come to the conclusion your condition is mild? My doc said the first half of my test looked good, but that I improved after using the nebulizer. That to me suggested mild. With the frequency of flare ups, it doesn't seem mild. I think I need a new Dr.

Good luck with your follow up.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

OK, did he not instruct you on using your Ventolin prophylactically? Before any cardio or being exposed to a known trigger (mowing the grass, jogging, etc) you should use it The normal use is 1 or 2 puffs, 60 seconds apart, 15-20 minutes before the activity. I jog and have to do it beforehand. It may be that you have EIA (exercise induced asthma) since cardio activities (and coughing and laughing are in that group) seem to be your triggers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
BigSteve1 (11-26-2011)
Old 11-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
BigSteve1
(male)

BigSteve1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
OK, did he not instruct you on using your Ventolin prophylactically? Before any cardio or being exposed to a known trigger (mowing the grass, jogging, etc) you should use it The normal use is 1 or 2 puffs, 60 seconds apart, 15-20 minutes before the activity. I jog and have to do it beforehand. It may be that you have EIA (exercise induced asthma) since cardio activities (and coughing and laughing are in that group) seem to be your triggers.
He casually mentioned taking some Ventolin before exercising or some activity that I suspect might cause an issue. If he said 15-20 minutes, then I missed it. I generally puff and go. I also admit that sometimes I don't take it at all, and sometimes I take 1 puff instead of 2.

Starting to appear obvious that I need to keep a log and be consistant with doses/applications of the medicine. I'm sure I have EIA. I also like to smoke foods on the BBQ, and last night realized that too much smoke was a trigger (well duh......) Seems obvious, but I didn't realize it. For better or for worse, I ordered a copy of "Asthma for Dummies" from Amazon last night. I find most "dummies" books lacking, but it should give me an organized starting point.

Closed Thread