It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Asthma, mild, moderate or severe?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
BigSteve1
(male)

BigSteve1 HB User
Asthma, mild, moderate or severe?

Hi Folks,
I'm newly diagnosed and will most likely be picking your brains for information. Let me say thanks in advance.

I'm trying to decide if my condition is mild moderate or severe. I'm not too keen on my current Dr, and want to gather as much knowledge as I can before I find another.

So for starters, how does a Dr determine if your case is mild or severe? Is there a set list of symptoms/conditions? Is it just his personal opinion? How would you folks that know more about it then I describe the differences?

Thanks,
Steve.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Asthma, mild, moderate or severe?

It's based on your test results and the level of medication it takes to control your asthma. I have mild asthma as 1 puff per day of Flovent is all I need. I rarely need my rescue inhaler (haven't in at least a year) other than premedicating before cardio.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
sue430
(female)

sue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB User

It depends on the frequency & severity of your symptoms, etc. I think you can find a chart online that will show the different descriptions. But to me, it's not important to be categorized, what's important is to control the symptoms as much as possible. And also you have to be careful with categorizations, you can have very mild asthma & still have very severe flares for time to time. Focusing on what triggers your symptoms is I think probably the most important thing that you can do yourself to help understand your asthma. Knowing your triggers will also help your dr help you.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Tree Whisperer
(female)

Tree Whisperer HB User

I have had asthma for 39 years now. It has gone through different strengths over time, when first diagnosed, I had such bad times it was near life threatening, then it would level out just affecting during excersise or seasonal factors. I went years where I hardly used an inhaler, colds being my worst nightmare. In the last few years though it has got bad again during winter and if a cold comes into the house, I really do fear the consequenses.
Last Xmas I was ill and was rushed to hospital on Boxing day with a peak flow of 50. I was pumped full of the dreaded steroids and put on the nebulizer then oxygen. My peak flow raised to 100 and stayed there for 2 weeks. it slowly hovered around 150 and that was cause to celebrate. I have now just started getting the symptoms again but am taking garlick and vitamin C to help avoid the colds. never again... I hope this winter treats us all kinder, we all know how it feels struggling to breath. Take care all.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
ct1974rlw
(female)

ct1974rlw HB User

According to my doctor, asthma can at any point in time go from mild to severe, and from severe to mild (although it's less likely to do this without intervention). He has me to a PFT (pulmonary function test) every three months unless I am sick then it's once a month to keep track of my asthma, blood work, my O2 sat levels, peak flow readings, what meds I am on, how frequently I am using my rescue inhaler, the characteristics of my attacks and how many hospitalizations I have had in the last 6 months to determine how severe my asthma is. So, as you can see there is a lot of factors in determining how severe your asthma is or is not. And you have to remember that a person with mild asthma can still have a severe attack.

Closed Thread