It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Child Mental Addiction?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Aphroditaa
(female)

Aphroditaa HB User
Child Mental Addiction?

Hello!

I need a bit of advice! My step-son is 10 years old and has asthma and uses the Ventolin inhaler. We get to see him every other weekend, the other weekend - he is at his moms.

It appears that his mom allows him to be using the inhaler just whenever instead of when needed and now I'm afraid it's lead up to a Mental Addiction for him. Some points he will be sitting there all fine then turn to us and say how he can't breathe and he needs his inhaler, if we deny it to him, he pulls a HUGE screaming fit yelling how he can't breathe and how he needs it. We have explained to him that he only needs to take it when necessary, but it's almost like he actually thinks he can't breathe, when really he is fine.

I'm unsure of what to do to help him see that he shouldn't be using it this much. I mean when not denied he can use a whole Ventolin in a matter of 1-2 days!

Any advice for clueless step-mom (who also suffers with Asthma) trying to make her step son's life better for him!?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Child Mental Addiction?

Okay, it is possible for a person with asthma to feel the BEGINNINGS of an attack, before anyone else can tell something is wrong. Normally, if a person with asthma, even a young child, says they need the inhaler, I'd give it.

However, if he's using up the whole thing in a couple of days, that's extremely dangerous. There are 200 puffs in there, and two puffs every 4 hours is the maximum dose! Unless his asthma is very severe or poorly controlled, the inhaler should last a whole year. Even in the sickest asthma patients, it should last a month or two.

If he ever DOES have a bad attack, his medicine is not going to help, because his body has clearly developed a strong tolerance to it. And taking such a high dose of stimulants is bad for a growing boy.

Is his doctor aware of this situation? Are you or his father in communication with the doctor at all? Definitely, this has to stop. If he's really having asthma all the time, he needs another medicine to improve control. If it's a habit or an emotional thing, he has to learn to do without it.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Aphroditaa
(female)

Aphroditaa HB User

I have had asthma since I was 2 and personally never experienced a shortness in breath as a beginning of an attack. I had tickles in my throat that would lead me there, but never just went from sitting on the couch to screaming at the top of my lungs how I couldn't breathe. Which is what makes me believe it is as what you said, a habit or emotional thing.

My thought was since at his home with his mom, he is use to getting the inhaler all the time - whenever he asks - that it has become a habit. Something he has been taught that he needs to have it all the time. So the feeling of a tickle in the throat, he would take it then. 15 minutes after if it wasn't gone, or in his head he still couldn't, he'd take it again.

We do not have communication with his doctor and limited with his mother. I was thinking of taking him to another one by us!

Old 01-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Huh. I don't usually get a tickle, I get a tight feeling in my chest. Sometimes it goes away on its own in a few minutes, sometimes I need medicine or it'll get worse.

Still, something is wrong with the way this child's asthma is being managed. Taking him to a different doctor seems reasonable.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
capatga
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

I've had asthma all of my life and hve 2 grandchildren with it as well, I understand what you mean about the mental addiction, my 8 year old granddaughter will sometimes work herself into an asthma fit, I went out and bought one of those devices that will check her oxygen level ,that helps me determine if she needs a treatment , you might want to invest in one its about 50.00 at walgreens, just clamp it onto the finger, its painless

my breathing gets shallow and my chest hurts when I get an attack

Old 01-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Aphroditaa
(female)

Aphroditaa HB User

That is actually an amazing idea!

Do you know what approx it should read before an inhaler should be issued?

I live in Canada, so I'm pretty sure there isn't a WalGreens around here but I will look into other stores!

Thanks so much again

Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
capatga
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphroditaa View Post
That is actually an amazing idea!

Do you know what approx it should read before an inhaler should be issued?

I live in Canada, so I'm pretty sure there isn't a WalGreens around here but I will look into other stores!

Thanks so much again
I don't remember exactly what the number was , I don't let hers get below 99 because when I have taken her to the ER they would not let her go until it was at least 99 ,same thing with me, when mine is 98, they hook me up,

good luck ,I was the grandparent of a boy with asthma ,I know how you feel, my grandson's all grown up now and has very few flare ups

keep us posted , I am anxious to know how it turns out

Old 01-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

For a child, 99 and 100 are the only normal numbers. (If you have very cold or dirty hands, you might get an inaccurate reading, though.)

If it's below 90 and doesn't come back up IMMEDIATELY with treatment, it's probably hospital time.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
capatga (01-22-2012)
Closed Thread