It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

College Asthma Issue

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
nancy 68
(female)

nancy 68 HB User
College Asthma Issue

My college age daughter is fine with her asthma when she is at home-only used Proair once in 5 weeks. When she returns to college in January in far northeast US, she begins wheezing and sneezing/sniffling/stuffy nose within 12 hours of moving back in She has to go back on Advair which she doesn't need while at home. She also has to take Claritin or similar for the allergy part. Anyone ever had this experience? She sometimes has same experience if she stays overnight at a friends house.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Daniiii
(female)

Daniiii HB User
Re: College Asthma Issue

I live in the northeast (massachusettes) and every spring and fall I have to get on claratin and other allergy meds. I have a family member who moved to upper Maine, almost into Canada, and she said her asthma and allergy related issues stopped. I guess we just have a higher amount of pollen and irritants in the air around here.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: College Asthma Issue

Clearly, there's something in the building that she is allergic to.

Are there any pets in the dorm? Maybe a previous resident had a cat hidden away in the closet? Possibly a mold problem in the vents? Dust or cockroaches? All can be major allergy triggers. If it's mold in the vents, maintenance should be dealing with it, but they might not be on top of things.

It MIGHT help if she moves, but only to a building with good air. In the meantime, she could try buying an air filter.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
nancy 68 (01-24-2012)
Closed Thread