It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Symbicort and Albuterol/Ventolin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
    Kaji
    Veteran
    (female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User
    Symbicort and Albuterol/Ventolin?

The doc told me that if I'm taking Symbicort twice a day, I can't use my ventolin more than twice a day or it's too much (and I really shouldn't use it at all?) This past week I've been using ventolin a LOT, and he ordered me to cut back to 4 times a day, so I did. Now he says only two? I'm waiting to see the pulmonologist on Monday but in the meantime I'm trying not to use the ventolin. I'm taking two puffs of symbicort at 8am and 8pm, and using the ventolin about 2.30 when the symbicort seems to wear off. Does this sound okay? I just started a new ventolin inhaler today so I'll know exactly how much I'm using. The one I had before didn't have a dose counter on it, but I've got a feeling I used at least half the inhaler in the last month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Symbicort and Albuterol/Ventolin?

Yes, do as he says at this point. The goal is to get to NO albuterol during the day.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
    kenanali
    (male)

kenanali HB User

I've been having the same issue. Especially with all the Pollen out. I have to use my albuterol every time I'm outside. So once in the morning on the way to work and once on the way back when I'm outside...

I try and limit it to one puff each time. E.g. today I took 3 puffs total, but with about 6ish hours in between each.

I'm also on Symbicort 160/4.5 two puffs -- twice a day...

Doc wants me to start Spiriva from tomorrow... From what I understand it's a COPD drug not Asthma, but hopefully will help?

Old 05-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
    Kaji
    Veteran
    (female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

No albuterol isn't going to be happening for awhile... the pulmo. kept me on the same med schedule for now and I'm still having to use my ventolin every day. I'm feeling generally better now the bronchitis is gone so I'm a bit more active now, and I'm using the ventolin MORE not less. I'm not overtly wheezing but I get very breathless just walking up and down the stairs and to the car. I'm trying not to use it unless I have to, but I'm getting very short of breath pretty much every time I start doing anything. I was very breathless walking into church this morning and I couldn't stand or sing, and I had to go get groceries after church so I used the inhaler inbetween and felt much better.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
    MeezerWheezer
    (female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kajikit View Post
    No albuterol isn't going to be happening for awhile... the pulmo. kept me on the same med schedule for now and I'm still having to use my ventolin every day. I'm feeling generally better now the bronchitis is gone so I'm a bit more active now, and I'm using the ventolin MORE not less. I'm not overtly wheezing but I get very breathless just walking up and down the stairs and to the car. I'm trying not to use it unless I have to, but I'm getting very short of breath pretty much every time I start doing anything. I was very breathless walking into church this morning and I couldn't stand or sing, and I had to go get groceries after church so I used the inhaler inbetween and felt much better.
    It takes some time for your lungs to recover from bronchitis. After I had bronchitis, my lungs were so irritated I had to take the maximum dose of Flovent (4 puffs twice a day) for a month or two. If things continue like they are, I would call the pulmo and let them know. I know my pulmo has a respiratory therapist I can call during business hours. They can adjust your medication if needed. Hope things get better!

Old 05-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It will take time but you will learn that getting winded from walking stairs, etc generally will go away once you take a few minutes to get your breath. Since I also jog, I have learned to use my jogging breathing to help when doing stairs, dancing, etc. You'll learn also. Just don't get freaked out by it. It's temporary...and it will get under control.

Closed Thread