It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Dr. Says I have Asthma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
    jilas0127
    (female)

jilas0127 HB Userjilas0127 HB Userjilas0127 HB User
    Dr. Says I have Asthma

Ok, I had asthma when I was a child. Mostly when someone mowed the grass, or when excesizing. I remember having asthma attachs and wheezing. I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps and never once used an inhaler... (mostly because I couldn't let them know I had it) The doctor back then had told my mom and I that I had allergies and asthma and since I had it as a child I would likely grow out of it. I have not had an asthma attack since I was a child. I had bronchitis about a month ago, and when I went for my yearly physical today, I mentioned to her that I think I have a sinus infection, and that I was still having some chest issues from the bronchitis. She gave me a peak breath test and it was 340. She says I have asthma. I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around this, since I never have asthma attacks like I did when I was younger. How can I have asthma with no attacks?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Dr. Says I have Asthma

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jilas0127 View Post
    ... How can I have asthma with no attacks?
    Do you ever have episodes where your breathing is restricted, or labored, or uncomfortable for extended periods of time, especially at night?

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
    jilas0127
    (female)

jilas0127 HB Userjilas0127 HB Userjilas0127 HB User

Not really, only since this bronchitis I had, and that did feel like asthma. I was wheezing, couldn't take a deap enough breath.... Now I just seem to have a cough that won't go anywhere. Like I have loose flem in my chest and it just kinda moves around. It's not a deep cough. And I guess when I excersize (which I haven't done in over a year) I would have a hard time breathing, but doesn't everyone?

I just think it's strange.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Bronchitis can result in asthma so I imagine that is what has happened to you. And, no, not everyone has problems breathing after/during exercise. Go see a pulmonologist for a proper evaluation. Also, the peak flow of 340 is lower than mine and I'm a 5'2" 66 year old female asthmatic. I imagine that 340 for you is pretty poor. Also, chest tightening is an asthma symptom.

Last edited by Titchou; 05-31-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
    MeezerWheezer
    (female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

I had very mild asthma (exercise induced) as a child and grew out of it. I have bad allergies so my allergist had me carry an inhaler but I pretty much never used it. I am now 28 years old and last year I got bronchitis. It triggered adult onset asthma and now I take medication daily. It certainly can happen.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
    ksr
    (male)

ksr HB User

Same for me. It started after bronchitis.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
    Kaji
    Veteran
    (female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

It's VERY common for chest infections (bronchitis, pneumonia, even a bad cold) to trigger asthma in someone who doesn't have issues with it the rest of the time. Up until this year, I've only needed to use my inhaler for a couple of weeks after I've had a cold. The rest of the time my lungs have been fine. I went three or four years without even owning an inhaler because I never used the last one once. This year I caught a bad bug and I've had really bad asthma for the first time in my life, but I hopefully expect it to clear up again soon.

Closed Thread