It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• It wasn't asthma after all

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
    beacon800
    (female)

beacon800 HB User
    It wasn't asthma after all

Hello All,

I posted in these boards when I was first diagnosed with asthma. After some time and experimentation I do not have asthma. Here's what happened:

I had all kinds of asthma symptoms, wheeze, cough, short of breath on exersize. The inhaled steroids fixed it very well. My lung function tests were not very asthma oriented though. They did show some albuterol response, so things were not clear. At my age, 50, it seemed very odd to start asthma though I know this can happen.

I made a lot of changes in my home including getting rid of my pet parakeets. I also tore out an old bathroom that looked moldy, washed all the walls down with TSP, put hepa filters in all the rooms.

I then tapered down my Flovent. Guess what? It worked. My symptoms are gone, I have been off all meds for 6 months and I have no sign of asthma at all.

I post this just in case someone out there has a similar situation. I think the real problem was a developed allergy to birds that presented with very asthma like symptoms. Just want this out there in case it can help anyone else. Thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to beacon800 For This Useful Post:
    helpmybab (03-17-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: It wasn't asthma after all

Did the doctor state that you don't have asthma, or are you assuming you don't any longer?

Seems your respiratory response was related to allergic stimuli...and you had quite a lot in your living environment. now that you've removed the offenders, your lungs are no longer reacting.

You may not have had asthma, but you did have extreme lung reaction...or you may have very mild asthma symptoms in the office compared to at home.

Regardless....it's good you've made the effort to change your environment and lessened your response.

I will caution you, however, that it's probable that your lungs wremember the response quite well, and you will still react to stimuli in the future. I would suspect the very first will be a cold or any respiratory virus you might have. If that does happen, listen to your symptoms and start the inhaler as you've done in the past.
    If you have an infection (you'll know by sputum, etc), get to the doctor and get checked. you may need antibiotics.

What you don't want is for your lungs to become scarred by low-level inflammation that's continuing even though you've improved..or by infection that's not treated.

it's awesome you're feeling better!
    be well,
    q

Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
    beacon800
    (female)

beacon800 HB User

Thank you Quincy. I agree with what you have said. I am quite sure I would respond the same way if re exposed. I take a lot of precautions now and monitor for changes. Totally agree with all you said. Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...hope you stay well.

q

Closed Thread