It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Advair minimum dose spacing.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
    sciencesdg
    (female)

sciencesdg HB User
    Advair minimum dose spacing.

Hello. I am new to these boards and new to asthma/lung medicines. It was suggested to me I go to the asthma board. I have been told to take advair because of newly developed coughing, wheezing and mucus in my lungs in response to a long sinus infection.
    The advair I am supposed to take 2 times a day keeps me awake all night- literally, when taken even at 5pm.
    I take the first dose at 7 am.
    How terrible would it be to take the second dose at 1pm? That is only 6 hours apart.
    What I am asking is what is the absolute minimum time apart I can space the 2 doses? I took the rescue inhaler one evening instead of the advair, and it also caused insomnia.
    I have been on the adviar a week and am no better at all yet, so I want to try to squeeze the second dose in, but I can not go without sleep another night.
    How many hours apart do you think I can get away with spacing the 2 doses?
    I am grateful for the help and replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
    sue430
    (female)

sue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB User
    Re: Advair minimum dose spacing.

Are you taking anything besides the advair? Prednisone/medrol or any decongestant or allergy med with a decongestant? Because those can all cause insomnia. I have not had a problem with insomnia from advair, and I always get insomnia if a drug has that as a side effect. If it is in fact the advair for some reason, you can always ask your doctor for an inhaled steroid with out the bronchodilator. (flovent, pulmicort,etc)

Old 07-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I use two Inhalers.
    Seritide and Ventolin and have never heard of any causing insomnia.
    I rarely use my Ventolin as the other is a combination of both ingredients and works perfectly.
    I use mine at 7-8 am and in the evening at 9-10 pm.
    I think you should speak to your Dr as there are other Inhalers which may not cause you sleeping problems, you could also ask him how long between doses.
    I wouldn't like to say myself as each patient is different.

Solofelix.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
    sciencesdg
    (female)

sciencesdg HB User

I appreciate the help so much. His office replied and said I can take the advair 8 hours apart instead of 12, so I will try that first. If that does not work, I will definitely ask for the single medicines when I see him next. These are all things I do not know at all. I really appreciate the information so much.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
    Kaji
    Veteran
    (female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

If I take ventolin at night it keeps me awake for a few hours, but I haven't had a problem with Advair. It takes time to build up in your system and work most effectively, so after a week you're not likely to see much effect. And they usually have you take it 12 hours apart because that way you have maximum coverage.

Closed Thread

Tags
    advair