It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Ugh, please tell me it's not asthma...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
tack789
(female)

tack789 HB User
Exclamation Ugh, please tell me it's not asthma...

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to Japan last October for a job and am located in a mountainous area. It has been starting to warm up and we had a mild winter with only a few days of snow.

Anyway, I had a bad cold in December when I returned back to the States for Christmas. Then it returned a bit (not as bad) when I was back here in January. It went away by the end of January and I've had a very mild, intermittent cough.

Recently in February, I had a mild wheeze infrequently in the morning and at night. Finally, this week I had a really bad wheeze on Tuesday (5:30 PM) and this Saturday morning (4:30 AM). So far, I haven't noticed any trouble breathing (except for panicky breathing)

On Tuesday, I went to the doctor around 5:30 PM. By the time, I got to see him (6:30 PM) the wheezing had gone down almost to be unnoticeable. The doc prescribed me Symbicort and I've only taken it on Tuesday and this Saturday morning during the wheezing episodes.

The bad wheezing spells so far are always preempted by dryish coughs that I can't stop.
I had asthma or some bronchitis for a really short period in middle school where I didn't really use the prescribed inhaler that much. I think I also have a dust allergy and my house is pretty dusty. Lastly, I have only had these wheezing spells in my house so far...

Sorry for the long post but I'm scared to go to sleep and to exercise now. I'm also scared about how it will affect my job as I'm in front of people most of the day. Could it really be asthma?

Last edited by tack789; 02-28-2014 at 09:36 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to tack789:
MountainReader (03-01-2014)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Ugh, please tell me it's not asthma...

Hi,

It is actually not uncommon to develop a reactive airway after an upper respiratory illness. Reactive airways have the same symptoms as asthma and are treated the same. Sometimes the terms are even used interchangeably. It usually takes about 6 months of reactive airway before it is officially diagnosed as asthma. Hopefully, with proper treatment, you will get things under control well before them.

That said, it is possible to develop asthma anytime in life. I know mine developed as an adult.

Symbicort is a long acting medication that is intended to be taken daily. It is NOT a rescue inhaler. It is a very good medication to help you get your symptoms under control over time. You must take it daily as prescribed though. It really won't do you much good otherwise.

Usually, Albuterol is the standard medication given for emergencies. The Albuterol is used when your symptoms get worse or as a pre-treater medication prior to exercise. Were you prescribed an emergency inhaler as well? If you continue to have these problems that concern you and don't have one, it may be important to have another visit with your doctor.

Your coughing is a symptom of the asthma, not just the wheezing. You should be treating it just as serious as you do the wheezing. There are a couple stickys at the top of this board you might find helpful. One lists some symptoms that can be early warning signs to watch for, the other is a basic asthma action plan that can be a guide for what to do at various stages of your asthma symptoms. If you continue to have problems, I highly recommend asking your doctor.

By the way, asthma can be very scary. It is a good thing you are seeking answers.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
tack789 (03-01-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #3
tack789
(female)

tack789 HB User

Thank you for your reply. I have the Symbicort and ~55 doses left. The doctor did not give me anything for emergencies. Now I'm nervous *shivers*.
The doctor wrote that the Symbicort could be used up to 8 times a day. He said to take it when I was feeling bad, but now that I know it's supposed to be taken regularly each day, when should I take it, how often and what time?
The doctor (as well as me) was also unsure if it was an allergy. I guess we'll just have to see in the course of six months? Does it take six months to know if it's asthma?
Thanks again for all of your help!

Old 03-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Normally, a pulmonary doctor will do a breathing test and be able to tell immediately if it is asthma or any other lung problem in the COPD or RAD groups. So no, oyu should not have to wait 6 months to tell if you do in fact have asthma - though it sounds as if you do.

The normal meds consist of your daily preventer - 2 puffs AM and 2 PM (about 12 hours apart) with a goal of getting it under to control to a point where you can reduce that. I'm down to one a day (PM) for my asthma. You would also have a rescue inhaler for times when you may have an attack or for pre medicating before cardio ( 2 puffs, 60 seconds apart, 15-20 minutes before cardio activity - jogging, dancing, etc). I jog and the pre medicating works great for me.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
Kaji
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

Symbicort is a preventer medication - you take it regularly every single day whether you're wheezing/coughing or not. If you have an asthmatic cough, it can help to use a cough pill to stop it, because the more you cough the more irritated your airways are getting and the worse the asthma gets... my doc prescribed tessalon perles and I think they're wonderful things.

If your lungs are just extra sensitive because you've had a respiratory illness (very common) then you should gradually improve over the next few months. But there's no point fretting about it. Treat what you're dealing with now and if/when you improve, your doctor can step down your medications to meet your needs.

Closed Thread

Tags
allergies, asthma, coughing, wheezing