It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Keeping Asthma under control

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
    Wheezy Texas
    (female)

Wheezy Texas HB User
    Keeping Asthma under control

I was born with Asthma so I have been used to it's hindrances for some time. I had my Asthma under control with the use of Advair for a long time. My asthma was usually affected by my allergies and would be worse around September of every year. I would usually be admitted to a hospital every year for 1-3 months because of it. When I was 15 I started receiving Xolair, an immune boosting drug and while on it, I never once got sick from my allergies or Asthma. At this time I also was given allergy shots and after four years I was taken off of Xolair after completing my allergy shots. After a while, I also stopped taking Advair. Since then I have had my Asthma in check with breathing exercises and a healthy diet along with regular physical exercise.

I think about how I used to be on so many drugs just to keep my asthma under control. I was on Advair since I was about 7. I had to have the 500/50 dose. I also had to have an albuterol inhaler that I had to take before and after any physical activity and when my allergies were too bad. I was on so many different allergy medications as well.

I am wondering how others do in keeping their Asthma in check and what they have done or tried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
    ann775
    (female)

ann775 HB Userann775 HB User
    Re: Keeping Asthma under control

Hi Wheezy, Glad you are able to manage your asthma so well. Did you say you do not take any meds at all? I just was diagnosed in Febuary during a bout with bronchitis and pneumonia. Unfortunately my asthma is not under control at all. Was on Qvar for a while and now Duleria inhaler. Continue to carry the Advair inhaler but often does not do much. On prednisone for second time and taking musinex( Costco brand) + antihistamine and nasal spray . I would also like to hear what is working for others .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Anne

Old 05-06-2014, 03:47 AM   #3
    Wheezy Texas
    (female)

Wheezy Texas HB User

I am not on medication as of now. I have been on Prednizone but it did barely anything for me. I was on Advair for a very long time but now I am not on any drugs and I have my Asthma under control. I hope that you are able to find something that works for you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wheezy Texas For This Useful Post:
    ann775 (05-06-2014),Trinity12 (05-06-2014)
    Old 05-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
    Trinity12
    (female)

Trinity12 HB UserTrinity12 HB User

Wheezy,

I'm glad to hear your asthma is under control. How did you change your diet? What type of breathing exercises do you do?

Old 05-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
    Wheezy Texas
    (female)

Wheezy Texas HB User

I had been on the diet of just eating whatever. My family was wealthy enough to eat out almost every night, though mostly just fast food. It wasn't until I was 16 that I started learning how to cook and replaced going out for food with making my own. Once I moved out I continued this. My diet consists of low fat, high carb foods with little to no sugar, high in protein, no white grains, and plenty of greens(Which I find disgusting, but when you spice them up they are OK.) I also drink about a quart of milk a day. Though I will point out that I drink so much milk because I have no levels of calcium and many bone and joint problems. I also havea really fast metabolism, which is why I need carbs. Plus having carbs does well for those who can and do go outdoors for some vitamin D.

Closed Thread

Tags
    advair, allergies, asthma, xolair