It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Breathing problem for four months

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
    rabbit21
    (male)

rabbit21 HB User
    Unhappy Breathing problem for four months

Hey all, I'm brand new here and signed up to possibly get some advice/opinions on a health issue I've been experiencing for four months now. First a little background information about myself regarding illnesses: I was born with asthma, I have back and neck pain(doctors don't know why and believe it could be fibromyalga), and generalized anxiety disorder. My asthma has been in remission for a few years due to maintenance inhalers and my anxiety has been in check with the help of medication. One day I woke up with a frog in my throat, which I assumed was just allergies, and the inability to get a full breath or yawn. My symptoms have been: tight mid-section(feels like a rubber band around my diaphragm and torso), in attempts to yawn or get a large breath it feels like my lungs cut me off before it can finish(like 80% breath then my lungs hit a wall type thing), something in my throat pops(similar to when a bone cracks) when I swallow, but only when my head is tilted a little in either direction, (it isn't painful, just a discomfort), some days I wake up and my throat/oral cavity is extremely tight and I can't loosen it, and I've had flem/a froggy feeling constantly in my throat.
    I'm a saxophonist and this breathing issue bothers me more than usual is because I need all the air I can get. I've gone to the my dr. several times to which he has no answers for me. He suggested anxiety(I feel better than I normally do in that area as things are going well otherwise from this issue) or a blood clot in my lungs, which he said it's not likely because I'm 21. I'm really distraught about this issue because it has persisted for four months now, today I've realized that when I walk up the large flight of stairs in my school I get a little out of breath, but I feel a cold pressure right in the lower center of throat near the clavicle and I actually can get full breaths during that time. It feels like there is something in my throat during that time, but no other times. I'm very lost in this matter because my doctor has no idea how to help or what it is. Does anybody have any suggestions, advice, or opinions as to what might be causing this problem? Please, I'm desperate, any stories of similar events would help too. I just really need to find out what is going on and ASAP! Thank you everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
    Re: Breathing problem for four months

Hi,

It doesn't sound like Asthma, I'm an Asthmatic and know what asthma breathing is like.
    What it does sound like is a Hiatal-Hernia, that will make breathing difficult and also cause a band like feeling around your diaphragm it does mine I have one myself.
    Ask your Dr if there might be a connection,

Solofelix.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
    rabbit21
    (male)

rabbit21 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
    Hi,

It doesn't sound like Asthma, I'm an Asthmatic and know what asthma breathing is like.
    What it does sound like is a Hiatal-Hernia, that will make breathing difficult and also cause a band like feeling around your diaphragm it does mine I have one myself.
    Ask your Dr if there might be a connection,

Solofelix.
    Thank you, Solofelix, for your response. I didn't believe it was my asthma either! I really didn't think my lungs were related to the problem, I insisted that it felt like tight muscles and my dr said he didn't think muscles had anything to do with it. I did so much research online as to what it could be based on other people's symptoms and came across a Hiatal-Hernia as a possibility. How long have you known you had a hiatal-hernia? Do you feel it on and off? For me I've felt okay for a few hours with barely any breathing problems, then that rubber band feeling comes back and i can't get all my air! : / Thanks again for your response! It is nice to know someone knows what I'm talking about and doesn't think I'm crazy.

The following user gives a hug of support to rabbit21:
    solofelix (11-20-2014)
    Old 11-20-2014, 02:59 AM   #4
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi rabbit,

My H.H was discovered through an Endoscopy for another problem.
    I have had a number of digestive symptoms and it was thought mine might have been caused through straining to go to the toilet.
    It was found nearly three years ago and I was told it did not require surgery.
    It most definitely affects my breathing and the tightness occurs in the centre just under my ribcage and is similar to how you describe.
    It does come and go but can last for days/weeks at a time.
    My Asthma In halers have no bearing on it whatsoever so I just know its the H.H.
    Another symptom with my H,H is that it causes a feeling after eating, of my food being pushed back up into my throat, mainly if I eat too much so now I eat small and often.
    I guess playing an instrument like the Saxophone could cause a H.H. but I'm not a Dr so don't take my word for it.
    "By the way the Saxophone is my favourite instrument, always has been"...

Hope I've been of some help and all the best,

Solofelix.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:18 AM   #5
    Totoro123
    (male)

Totoro123 HB User

These days, I'm trying to figure out a health issue that resembles yours in some ways. I've had asthma for 20 years but it has been in remission (well controlled) for a couple years now. A couple months ago, I began having tightness in my chest. It's mild in the morning but gets worse as the day goes on. It feels like asthma but isn't. My asthma meds don't help. I had a full heart workup and was able to eliminate it as a source of the problem.

I feel like the tightness comes from behind my bronchial. So research led me to the belief that is must be due to my esophagus and HH. I was diagnosed with a mild HH a few years ago. Maybe it is acting up now and causing GERD related problems. The strange thing though is that I do not feel acid reflex and food goes down pretty well. When the chest tension comes on, it lasts for hours until I take an Lorazepam (Ativan) the GP gave me for anxiety. So, my belief is that it is esophageal muscular tension mixed with a bit of HH and GERD. I do not want to take Lorazepam forever so I'm hoping that treating the HH and GERD will break the cycle. Maybe this will give you some ideas to help with your issues. All the best.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Totoro123 View Post
    These days, I'm trying to figure out a health issue that resembles yours in some ways. I've had asthma for 20 years but it has been in remission (well controlled) for a couple years now. A couple months ago, I began having tightness in my chest. It's mild in the morning but gets worse as the day goes on. It feels like asthma but isn't. My asthma meds don't help. I had a full heart workup and was able to eliminate it as a source of the problem.

I feel like the tightness comes from behind my bronchial. So research led me to the belief that is must be due to my esophagus and HH. I was diagnosed with a mild HH a few years ago. Maybe it is acting up now and causing GERD related problems. The strange thing though is that I do not feel acid reflex and food goes down pretty well. When the chest tension comes on, it lasts for hours until I take an Lorazepam (Ativan) the GP gave me for anxiety. So, my belief is that it is esophageal muscular tension mixed with a bit of HH and GERD. I do not want to take Lorazepam forever so I'm hoping that treating the HH and GERD will break the cycle. Maybe this will give you some ideas to help with your issues. All the best.

I don't suffer reflux either neither do I get heartburn but I do get "Gastritis" quite a lot and I read that "Hiatal-Hernia and Gastritis" can cause breathing problems.
    I do know that nothing I take for it helps and I have to sit it out until it goes,

Solofelix.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
    rabbit21
    (male)

rabbit21 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
    I don't suffer reflux either neither do I get heartburn but I do get "Gastritis" quite a lot and I read that "Hiatal-Hernia and Gastritis" can cause breathing problems.
    I do know that nothing I take for it helps and I have to sit it out until it goes,

Solofelix.
    Thanks Solofelix, you've been a help! I'm going to ask my dr. after I do a breathing test he ordered. I never had any heartburn or gastritis as far as i know. I had a little acid reflux probably about three times in the past four months which is three times more than normal. I've also never experienced the food being pushed back up into my throat. So I'm not sure if the symptoms vary for the individual, the only thing with my throat is my adams apple or something pops when I swallow with my head tilted a slight angles. It does come and go for me too, but not as prolonged. I'll have trouble breathing for two or three days then be okay for a day or two then it returns. My dr really thinks it is anxiety, but I'd think it would cease when i take my anti anxiety pills if it was. > And thanks for the compliment! Saxophone is awesome. I'm a sax major in college so when I tell my dr that i'm very well aware of my diaphragm, throat, and lungs, they always laugh like I don't know anything. Medically, not so much, but I can tell when something isn't right in those spots! And your comment about playing sax might cause an H.H., that was my first thought, always putting pressure on the diaphragm could be a culprit. Thanks again for your help!

Old 11-21-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
    rabbit21
    (male)

rabbit21 HB User

Quote:

Totoro123, we have many similarities. I don't feel acid reflex and food goes down smoothly as well. I take Xanax for anxiety, I haven't heard of Lorazepam. Your anti anxiety helps your chest tightness though? I just don't know what it is and it is scary! One of my drs think it's in my head. I really don't think this is the case... They tested me for lyme disease which was negative, and checked my liver and kidney enzymes and other blood work, all came back normal. Next is the pulmonary breathing test, if that comes back fine, my dr will have to look further into it, he really doesn't have a clue to what it is. : /

Old 11-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rabbit21 View Post
    ... My symptoms have been: tight mid-section(feels like a rubber band around my diaphragm and torso), in attempts to yawn or get a large breath it feels like my lungs cut me off before it can finish(like 80% breath then my lungs hit a wall type thing),
    Exactly like my asthma.

Quote:
    something in my throat pops(similar to when a bone cracks) when I swallow, but only when my head is tilted a little in either direction, (it isn't painful, just a discomfort), some days I wake up and my throat/oral cavity is extremely tight and I can't loosen it, and I've had flem/a froggy feeling constantly in my throat.
    Each of us can be effected by our allergies and our allergic and non-allergic asthma with varying symptoms.

Quote:
    I'm a saxophonist and this breathing issue bothers me more than usual is because I need all the air I can get.
    This makes finding a "cure" even more important! Sorry that you are having to deal with difficult breathing problems!

Quote:
    I've gone to the my dr. several times to which he has no answers for me. He suggested anxiety
    Ahhh... anxiety or stress! That is the universal doctor copout. Almost all doctors play the "anxiety" card when they don't have a clue. They don't want to seem ineffective, so they diagnose "anxiety" and hope that their patients don't find out that they have diagnosed almost all of their troublesome patients with anxiety!

Anxiety is real and it is a problem, but it should not be used as a catch-all for all unexplained health issues.

Quote:
    Does anybody have any suggestions, advice, or opinions as to what might be causing this problem?
    In my humble non-professional, fellow-patient opinion, it is asthma combined with other allergic reactions.

Asthma medicines are really great at minimizing breathing problems, but there is only so much that they can do. Even with the maximum dose of an asthma inhaler, the patient can still suffer some tightness or labored breathing. Unfortunately, there are many MANY things, or triggers, that can cause tightness or labored breathing regardless of asthma medications. The solution is to determine the triggers of the nasty or uncomfortable symptoms and avoid the triggers. Triggers can be allergens or pollutants inside or outside the home, food, chemicals, odors, cigarette smoke, etc.

This is what I have learned thru my own battles and successes with asthma and allergy, so it is just my own personal non-professional opinion.

Best of luck and health!

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:48 AM   #10
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
    Exactly like my asthma.

Each of us can be effected by our allergies and our allergic and non-allergic asthma with varying symptoms.

This makes finding a "cure" even more important! Sorry that you are having to deal with difficult breathing problems!

Ahhh... anxiety or stress! That is the universal doctor copout. Almost all doctors play the "anxiety" card when they don't have a clue. They don't want to seem ineffective, so they diagnose "anxiety" and hope that their patients don't find out that they have diagnosed almost all of their troublesome patients with anxiety!

Anxiety is real and it is a problem, but it should not be used as a catch-all for all unexplained health issues.

In my humble non-professional, fellow-patient opinion, it is asthma combined with other allergic reactions.

Asthma medicines are really great at minimizing breathing problems, but there is only so much that they can do. Even with the maximum dose of an asthma inhaler, the patient can still suffer some tightness or labored breathing. Unfortunately, there are many MANY things, or triggers, that can cause tightness or labored breathing regardless of asthma medications. The solution is to determine the triggers of the nasty or uncomfortable symptoms and avoid the triggers. Triggers can be allergens or pollutants inside or outside the home, food, chemicals, odors, cigarette smoke, etc.

This is what I have learned thru my own battles and successes with asthma and allergy, so it is just my own personal non-professional opinion.

Best of luck and health!

"Having been, still am, an Asthmatic for 42 yrs, I agree with what you say about Asthma Medication and Allergy's".
    they do go "hand in hand" there's NO doubt about that.
    It's almost impossible to avoid things indoors or outdoors which can affect our breathing if we are that way inclined.
    For one example just peeling potatoes can make me sneeze and then short of breath even though I have used my Inhalers, yet I can eat potatoes with no problem. (How daft does that sound...)
    My Asthma is WELL controlled with DAILY use of Inhalers,

Solofelix.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
    papote53
    (male)

papote53 HB User

Quote:

Hi,

I; new to this forum and new to asthma so basically I'm in the learning process. Yes, my Lung specialist started to give me Advair 250/50 because she believe I have asthma. No Coughing, or Wheezing but I do have Shortness of breath, Chest tightness, pain, and pressure right on the middle upper chest, right where you feel acid but without the burning. Just like you it starts early in the mornings and builds up unless I'm in bed or laying down. And just like you only Alprozalam takes away the problem 60% for a few hours. I did have an endoscopy done and they found mild Reflux- Yes, they first said COPD because a xray showed hyperexpanded lungs (ruled out after 5 test), then anxiety, reflux and now asthma. So right now I take medication for reflux, anxiety and asthma and like I said only the anxiety medications helps, but not completely. Right now in the process to change medication for asthma even if I believe I don't have any and then look for a 2nd opinion with Mayo Clinic which is something they don't want.

Reg
    Jose

Last edited by papote53; 12-17-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #12
    papote53
    (male)

papote53 HB User

UPDATE: Lung Doc took me off Advair and recommended that I take another reflux medication and to have a PH Probe test. She did give me an inhaler but I don't have sudden lack of air, in my case is all day unless I take the anxiety medication which helps like 60-70%. Her diagnose so far is Reflux with anxiety.

Reply Reply

Tags
    chest pressure, throat tightness, trouble breathing