It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Autistic five year old put on Zolft, HELP

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
    AutismMom222
    (female)

AutismMom222 HB User
    Autistic five year old put on Zolft, HELP

PLEASE Please please can someone help me. I have a five year old daughter with Autism. We have always been against medication and she has been in therapy for three years. Recently her OCD disorder began taking over her little life. Everything was a ritual or obsession. I have always said I would never medicate her to make our lives easier, but now we felt we needed to make her life easier. On 3/28 we began giving her 5mg of Zoloft in the morning. The first six weeks seemed ok, but then things went downhill. My daughter has stopped speaking, she is so hyper and has stopped showing love. These were things that took years to happen. She is showing small improvement in OCD and self injury. We took her to the doctor yesterday with the hope of them telling us how to get her off. The doctor told us to double her dose to 10mg. We did that this morning and our baby was sent home from school today because she could not sit still. I feel like this is not the right medication for her, but have no clue how to get her off it. We tried to lower her dose before yesterday and it went very bad. Please I do not know what to do. This child is my heart and soul. I feel like I am losing her and I cannot let that happen. She is so young and with the Autism I can find nothing. Any advice...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
    bemindful
    (female)

bemindful HB Userbemindful HB User
    Re: Autistic five year old put on Zolft, HELP

First I would like to tell you how deeply I feel for you and your child. I could never claim to understand to know where you're coming from or how you feel. I pray you find the help you so desperately seek . I am not familiar with medications as they pertain to or how they affect children. But, I don't know if you have considered getting a second, third, fourth opinion? It may be helpful. I wish I could be of help to you. And I wish you and your child the very best.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
    AutismMom222
    (female)

AutismMom222 HB User

Thank you so much. At this point I just want her saftly off the medication. I miss her so so much. She is just lost right now and not the same girl she was two months ago. The medication is just making her beyond hyper. We decided today that we are not gonna see this week out at the higher dose. Our little girl has baby stepped her way up a mountain since her diagnosis and I feel like we were just pushed back to the bottom. I know we have a tough couple months ahead of us detoxing her off this stuff. Tried so hard to do what was best for her. This time we got it wrong.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
    bemindful
    (female)

It must be very discouraging. I am saddened for you and her. Are you taking her off her meds under a doctor's close supervision?

Old 05-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
    AutismMom222
    (female)

AutismMom222 HB User

Amazingly the doctor would not tell me how to wean her off. I think she is upset that I decided to not keep her on the doubled dose. I was instructed to call another doctor tomorrow. We want to do this as saftly as humanly possible. I am very very worried about her going through some kind of withdrawl. For tomorrow we will move her back to the lower dose. She has only been on the high dose for one day so my prayers are that it will not hurt her more. She had such a rough day, so so hyper. I hope these doctors can understand that this is just not the right medication for her. It may be a great medication, just not for my daughter. She is so young and so autistic. I hope they are cool tomorrow and tell me how to quickly, safetly get her back.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:29 AM   #6
    bemindful
    (female)

Well, it is definitely good that the doc at least knows your intentions of weaning her off the Zoloft. Perhaps going to a pediatric psychiatrist would be beneficial. It is not uncommon to just keep trying different medications until you find the one that works best. And usually these types of medications take 4-6 weeks to actually get the optimal effect.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
    AutismMom222
    (female)

AutismMom222 HB User

Update
    My little girl has now been off the medication for one week. She started speaking again the second day after being weaned off. The rituals and aggression are back, but so is my little girl. She is smiling again and looking at us. Almost all the bizarre effects that the doctors told me we're not the medication, are gone. I have learned a very valuable lesson. So happy she is on the road to mend.

Reply Reply

Tags
    autism, ocd, zoloft