It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

Help autistic son

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
CaysMum
(female)

CaysMum HB User
Help autistic son

I need help in finding an advocate for my autistic son in school. I feel he's being picked on and the teachers aren't doing much. It's only the fifth day since he went back to school and I've already go a complaint about him. It's alarming what they are saying he did and I know my son will never do that. How and where do I go to find someone to advocate for him. Since it seems whatever I say to the teachers is not helping. I'm at my Wits end now. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
Filipinone
(female)

Filipinone HB User
Re: Help autistic son

If you live in the United States, contact your county you live in to see if you can get assistance. They are going to get an IEP (Individual Education Program) done for you child.

When we initially went through our IEP with the county, they were limiting which classes my son could get, then we pulled out a doctor diagnosis from a well respected hospital. They back tracked and said that my son is eligible for Autism/Special Needs classes.

You are you son's advocate, so don't give up.

Lisa

Old 09-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
rosey200736
(female)

rosey200736 HB User
Re: Help autistic son

OP I just wanted to say welcome, and I am sorry that you have going through this situation and are feeling alone. I have a son who has autism and it has been very challenging for me to work with the school system. Anyways, have you talked to the principal about the situation? Does your child have medical documentation of having autism?

Something that might be looking into is getting your child into counseling for children. In my experience, the counselors had more knowledge of programs that were available for my son.

If your child does not have documentation you might still be able to get an IEP depending on how old the child is. Another option that might be available iis what is called a 504. My son has a current IEP and the school provides him with noise reducing earphones, he has special office passes when he gets overwhelmed, he can go to the special education class sometimes to take a break.

The first week of school is very challenging for my son because of all of the changes that he is getting used to. Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

If I can help in any other way please feel free to PM me.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:25 AM   #4
findingwayinwor
(female)

findingwayinwor HB User
Thumbs down Re: Help autistic son

First of all I am sorry the school is being resistant. I am with other posts that if you have an official medical diagnosis the school is required to offer assistance to your son. I found out much later (I asked school Psyc for help and she said couldnt) that having that type of diagnosis the school is required to offer modifications that would benefit your son socially and academically. They may drag feet and be resistant because they want you to give up, but....If the school still will not work for you contact the Disibilites Act for your state and they can begin to help you. I have constant contact with each of our sons Middle School staff and not afraid to contact them with issues. Our son was bullied and the kids would get him mad enough to act out than point finger at him. So with academic and our sons safety and social environment I am not afraid to bring up issues as they arise and the school should work with you to find solutions. It can be so hard at times, but soon the school and others will know you are involved and not giving up.

Reply Reply