It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

5 yr old daughter, ASD?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
michelleazalea
(female)

michelleazalea HB User
Unhappy 5 yr old daughter, ASD?

My 5 year old has always been "different". When she was a baby, she didn't laugh or smile, she didn't coo and ohhh and awww like her older sisters had at that age. She didn't look around and show interest in her surroundings. At a few months old, she began to smile and laugh a little, but only with her Daddy. She started talking early, (like 4 months old) but then she just stopped. She started talking again much later. She used to not make eye contact, but she does now, even if she looks away quickly, she can do it. She is social, very much so. But she's pushy and bossy so the other kids tend to run from her. She talks nonstop. She repeats things over and over again. She repeats things that she hears other people saying and she repeats things she has heard on tv or in a song.

She is sensitive to sounds, is very impulsive, even if it's dangerous. She's always been very clumsy but still does things that can and often do hurt her. She has bad, bad meltdowns over stuff that wouldn't normally bother anyone else, like her cheese on her burger touching the box its in. She is anxious and fearful a lot of the time, and often covers her ears because of noises or because she's scared.

She talks a lot like I said earlier, but she is also very loud. Even when told to quiet down, she thinks shes whispering or talking quieter but she's still as loud. She gets onto something and she cannot get out of it. Right now, its spelling and numbers. It is constant. She is not good with change and has to have routine and have things her way. Not because she's being mean, but because if she puts something a certain way and you move it, even just turning it a little bit, she freaks out and has to fix it immediately.

She doesn't differentiate between people and toys. She knows they are toys, but she talks about them and to them as if they are real. She has severe food pickiness. If something looks, smells or feels out of the norm for her, she will not go near it and freaks out if it is even on her plate.

She is super, super intelligent. She picks up certain things and just runs with them. She started drawing early and has become quite the artist. But she struggles with numbers. She knew her alphabet and all of her shapes and colors by the time she was 1. She walked at 10 months old. She had an impressively extensive vocabulary by the time she was 1. But she cannot distinguish between sarcasm and literal meaning. Everything is literal to her. She doesn't understand when you are making a joke. And if you laugh because she says something cute or does something cute, she has a full meltdown thinking you are laughing AT her.

Her fits can be really awful. She pulls her hair, scratches herself, bites herself. And they can last for an hour. It's exhausting.

She also chews on everything. Her clothes, blankie, blankets, pillows, fingers, and stuffed animals.

I know I am leaving things out. But I think you get the point. Her psychologist has seen her twice and says she is definitely ADHD and she has been diagnosed with Anxiety with severe night terrors by her Pediatrician, but they don't think she's Autistic because "She's social and makes eye contact".

I'm with her everyday and I truly believe she is on the spectrum.

Anyone else go through this? Having a hard time getting others to believe and understand?

Could I be wrong?

Last edited by Administrator; 12-01-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
adhd, asd, autistic, diagnosis, doctors