It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• I could use some advice

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #1
    KIMADLYN
    (female)

KIMADLYN HB User
    I could use some advice

Hello I have a 3 1/2 year old son. I have a few concerns that he could possibly be showing some unusual behavior. I was hoping to get some advice from you guys who are more experienced. My son jumps when he is excited. He has done this ever since I can remember. Now that he's getting older is much more noticable. The jumping happens a lot even if he is sitting and gets excited he has to get up and start jumping. More recently I have also notice when he is board he runs back and forth a just seems like he is in his own world. Mostly he does this when we are at home. But the jumping happens anywhere and everywhere. But he has had no speech delays in fact he seemed to start talking early and people always commented on well he speaks. He is very affectionate and not shy. He never stops talking and loves to play with other kids. He does seem to have a short attention span when it comes to most things like he won't sit and watch TV never can get through a whole show it just doesn't hold his attention. But he is obsessed with superheros and will watch ******* videos but only if they have to do with superheros and only really plays with superhero toys. Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned. Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2020, 08:32 PM   #2
    Hope2Heal
    Veteran
    (female)

Hope2Heal HB User
    Re: I could use some advice

Sounds more like ADHD to me. He seems like he builds up a lot of excess energy, especially when excited, and needs to release it. I got a small trampoline for my ADHD son that we kept in a common area which helped with the jumping needs. My son also talked non stop and still does and he is in 9th grade. And he also hates being bored. He will pace, act like a fool, make sound effects, sing random songs, toss stuff in the air, just talk or sing to hear his own voice, etc. As an older kid he has been able to explain that being bored is like painful, he has to always be doing something or he feels like crawling out of his skin. He also has trouble with transitions, moods, some sensory issues, and hates to read (even though he is in the honors academic program). It is the sitting part of reading that is so hard. I have found that as he has gotten older he has gotten a lot better, but we addressed it by the age of 5 and started treatment. It is hard to diagnose when they are young, and many doctors are reluctant to. However , you could look into a Occupational Therapy program that will address sensory concerns and teach strategies. Your child sounds like a fun and charming kid. I love kids who jump!

Old 01-01-2021, 05:32 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Your pediatrician should be able to direct you. We have a clinic here in Birmingham connected to the med school that will dx this...or a good child psychologist/psychiatrist can also do. I would ask your ped to refer you to one in your area for an assessment. Prior to age 3, the Federal free Early Invention program can help with this. I work in one here in Birmingham and we often recommend this. Keep that in mind for any friends you may have with concerns for their children. EI programs are a great resource.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:01 PM   #4
    fanofytp

fanofytp HB User

it sounds more like normal child behavior than ADHD. theres a lot of similarities to ADHD and normal childhood behavior, and there isn't a lot of scientific consensus that ADHD is a actual mental disorder, even in the mainstream sciences. not a doctor btw, just researched a lot into this.

i highly recommend you wait till he gets into 6 or 7, then be concerned if he still has high energy.

high energy is awesome, lots of employers like high energy people, so if he grows up to be energetic, he'll be a great hiring candidate im sure.

Reply Reply